Bad review: Star Trek Legacy

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Ok, lets set aside the fact that the lousy controls take some time to get used to, especially if you use the PC version...

I was reading reviews on the game... and they were lousy. The worst one was out of one of my magazines "For some unknown reason, Torpedoes ignore shields."

S'cuse me... maybe I'm a little out of the fray but... last I checked, wasn't that the point of Torpedoes? Look at Wing Commander, Torpedoes blasted through Phase Shields, in Star Wars, quote General Dodonna (SP??) "The shaft is ray shielded so you'll have to use proton torpedoes."

Finally, if you watch Star Trek 6 :TUC, when General Chang attacks the Enterprise, you see severe burns all over the ship from those torpedoes yet somehow her shields are still up!

Ok rant over, sorry guys!

All the negative reviews for Legacy apply to the PC version - and rightfully so. The X-Box 360 version is quite fun, though a little tough given that you have to time some of your moves.

The complaint about torpedoes is rather silly, but not for the reasons you cite. I don't think that because they work a certain way in another series that they work that way in every other series either. Don't forget that even though the exhaust port was ray-shielded - you still have to drop a Star Destroyer's shields before hitting the hull with anything.

All the negative reviews for Legacy apply to the PC version - and rightfully so. The X-Box 360 version is quite fun, though a little tough given that you have to time some of your moves.

The complaint about torpedoes is rather silly, but not for the reasons you cite. I don't think that because they work a certain way in another series that they work that way in every other series either. Don't forget that even though the exhaust port was ray-shielded - you still have to drop a Star Destroyer's shields before hitting the hull with anything.

Im just saying that the consensus in most series, including star trek, is that torpedoes do penetrate shields.... and in retrospect maybe star wars was a bad choice... if you take a look at most of the universe... i dunno there are too many things that don't add up.

Legacy is the worst ST game for PC that i played;.even more than Generations or New Worlds, and those two were fucking bad.

Im just saying that the consensus in most series, including star trek, is that torpedoes do penetrate shields...

"Most" does not mean "all" however. I'm not sure how they work in Trek exactly, but Ill leave that for the Spacebattle jerks to argue about.

Im just saying that the consensus in most series, including star trek, is that torpedoes do penetrate shields.... and in retrospect maybe star wars was a bad choice... if you take a look at most of the universe... i dunno there are too many things that don't add up.

No, torpedoes don't usually bypass shields in Star Trek unless it's some kind of trick like at the end of Star Trek Generations.

Yeah, they almost never actually go through the shilds unless they get Macguyvered. Also, LeHah, you dont have to be a "spacebattle jerk" to wonder why the torps work like they work.

Also, LeHah, you dont have to be a "spacebattle jerk" to wonder why the torps work like they work.

True, but in most cases on the internet, if you're arguing about technical readouts, you just don't get what you're watching.

Torpedoes in the WC universe do exactly what the weapons in Generations were able to do: match the frequency of the shields and bypass them. However, look at their launch times.

I generally find that comparing different sci-fi series only ends in genitalia measuring contests, unfortunately. That was an interesting parallel, however.

Torpedoes in the WC universe do exactly what the weapons in Generations were able to do: match the frequency of the shields and bypass them. However, look at their launch times.

Similar because thats what physically happens - but different given the unusual nature of what happened in Generations. Good point, though.

~~~, I can imagine the same thing happening with shields/weapons tech in Star Trek as happens in Wing Commander--the weapons get better to pierce shields, then the shields get better to block the weapons, lather, rinse, repeat.

I can imagine the same thing happening with shields/weapons tech in Star Trek as happens in Wing Commander

Rules don't necessarily cross pollinate between science fiction shows.

Slightly off-topic, but I really wish they would make the soundtrack for Legacy available for purchase. It's really great music and compliments a lot of Goldsmith's original stuff rather well.

Well, I don't know much about ST, but a Star Destroyer has both Ray shields (which protect against energy) and Particle shields (which protect against solid objects). As far as I know, due to power requirements, only large ships (like SD's) can have both. Most smaller ships only have ray shields.
So things like concussion missles and proton torpedoes would go straight into say, a nebulon B, but bounce off a ISD.
Here's the spacebattle geek technobabble anyway.

So things like concussion missles and proton torpedoes would go straight into say, a nebulon B, but bounce off a ISD.

All ships have "particle shields". Its just a matter of how effective they are.

(Also, I believe the terminology is not actually accurate for Star Wars, but is applicable for this thread)

I have the Xbox 360 version of Star Trek Legacy and I really enjoyed it. It took me awhile to play through it, even on easy or ensign. There were a few missions that I was having trouble with, noteably the Enterprise Era mission where you have to protect the starbase and prevent t he Romulan Bioships from heading towards earth (where you have to use the sensor outposts to disable groups of Romulan ships), and the Pre-TNG mission where you have to stop the star fragments from hitting the planets.

I didn't spend too much time analyzing the technical aspects of the game and how ships and weapons handle in relation to each other. What I did focus on and enjoy were the graphics, both of the ships and space and celestial features. And the sound. I thought the graphics were great, I liked the way the ships were lighted and how they looked in space. It was fun to just pan around your ship or ships and watch them move past planets or through nebula. I also thought the audio was good, the sounds of weapons firing, the calls of different crew members as their ships took damage.

To me, these outweigh any negatives the Xbox 360 version of the game has and made it a very fun and enjoyable game. I'd recommend it to anyone who has an Xbox 360 and is considering this game.

Legacy is the worst ST game for PC that i played;.even more than Generations or New Worlds, and those two were fucking bad.

Indeed they were. Out of the enormus amount of games that I have played(Lost track at, what, 6000? Yes, I'm only fourteen, and I did that shite>_>), Those ones always make me wince with pain every time. Also, let's all face it: Star trek has had some really fucking bad games, but there are some really good gems of games in there(Elite force, goood voyager, and both the armada games, thhou I wanted more ships in the first game, for all sides, yet in Armada II, the ships, even the heaviest fed ships, seem to be made of paper mache.

...I really need to get out more>_>.

I have Elite Force and it did absolutely nothing for me.

I suppose I'm of an earlier calibur gamer, but when you say Star Trek games, I think of A Final Unity, the 25th Anniversary PC game or the Game Boy game that I lost about two years of my childhood to.

Back