Back to WC after 9 years!!!

Hey guys another noob here Ive been a fan of wing commander since the beginning I own part one for SNES but Iam thinking about buying the kilrathi saga because I really want to play WC 2 & 3 can anyone tell me what the WC 3 planetary missions are like Im so curious about those missions Ive been playing freespace for quiet sometime now but really miss WC and where can I find some 3d WC movies or cartoons for free!!!

Hi rapier jockey, and welcome to the show from someone who's just about the same - past WC experience that keeps coming back after years of absence...

For the questions: I quite liked the planetary missions in WC3 - they're a change of scenery and give a nice sense of diving into a universe that's more than dogfights and the insides of carriers. But don't expect any radical difference - I didn't notice any gravitational pull or aerodynamics while planetside, you can even do dead stops in midair and just hang there. Well, I just pretended that it's part of the fighter's engine technology and got on with it...

To get a *legal copy* of KS might be difficult - you'll still find it on eBay, but the prices are outrageous every time (well, I'm just jealous - I had it right before me in a bargain bin in '98 and let it pass; stupid). But it's definitely worth hunting for, even in the not-so-good condition I got mine in.

For your last comment: You'll find a lot of stuff linked within the CIC, especially the WC cartoon series, and links to fan projects who've done amazing things. But for everything else, e.g. copyrighted material that may be *available* somewhere in the net, this is not the place to ask for - the board rules express a very distinct position about that.. :-]

So, happy trails,

/CM out

Wow, it's good to see another WC fan joining the crew. Welcome aboard, and keep your nose clean in our sector!

WC2 is, in my opinion, one of the best WC games to exist. It's very special to so many of us. WC3 is good, but I think it gets outshined by 4 and prophecy. Don't forget to check out the fan-mods and such. Ciao!

The ground missions in 3 were alright, the final run on Kilrah was kind of cool, echoes of the trench run in Star Wars do come to mind. But with a simple white ground texture I ran into canyon walls a few times, got a little annoying.
WC4 GMs though were very cool, and I wish there had been more. Dealing with SAMs while attacking your targets added a lot to the experience.

wc3's ground missions were alright, a nice change for a space sim. The hyperion and freya missions are good, especially freya. I didn't like the kilrah run, it is the longest god damn canyon run I've ever been on.

In wc4 the missions can be a bit more difficult but are otherwise basically the same.

overmortal said:
WC2 is, in my opinion, one of the best WC games to exist. It's very special to so many of us.

I love WC2, it was my first computer game and got me hooked on WC. I just wish I could get it to work again after I had my comp repaired and they took off my WC games cause they thought they were viruses or spyware or something ( those dumbasses)

rapier jockey said:
Hey guys another noob here Ive been a fan of wing commander since the beginning I own part one for SNES but Iam thinking about buying the kilrathi saga because I really want to play WC 2 & 3
Welcome back. I took a loooong break from my favorite gaming series too, but I have acquired all of the games now that I didn't have back when, including KS. I'd recommend getting KS, even though it is expensive, if you want to minimize any headaches you'll have trying to get the originals to run properly on a modern PC with a modern OS- that is, unless you have a 486 with DOS and Win 3.1 hanging around somewhere. Good luck and have fun.

Aww man I was hoping the planetary missions would be like battlecruiser where you could jump in and out of the planets atmosphere from space but Ive heard they have altitude ceilings which suck and theres very little detailed landscaping thats really the only reason I want to play wing commander 3!!!

I've always regarded the WC games more for their storytelling than for the technical finesse of simulate-this-or-that. That's what Dr. Smart's BC is for - and the approach it takes is commendable, to say the least. But keep in mind: He had a longer time to produce it, and a totally different focus - not to speak of technology; since we're comparing a game from 1994 with another one from 2001.

overmortal said:
WC2 is, in my opinion, one of the best WC games to exist. It's very special to so many of us. WC3 is good, but I think it gets outshined by 4 and prophecy. Don't forget to check out the fan-mods and such. Ciao!

I agree with part of this. WC2 was the best one in terms of the Blair Saga, I mean hell, instead of a light or Strike Carrier, you fly off a damn Battleship. Most of your old Wingmen are still there, Rapiers are still in service, IN HEAVY use, and the most kick ass super fighter, the Morningstar also makes an appearance

WC3 is so much better then 4, I didnt like 4 all that much, the only problem i had w/ WC3 was the abscence of almost the entire New Starfighter Squadron. Angel dies, Hobbes dies, Stingray doesnt make an appearance, nor does most anyone else who was on the Concordia.

Of the WC2 pilots who survive Wing Commander 2, Stingray is the only one who disappears. Everyone else either shows up in WC3 (Maniac, Angel, Hobbes, Paladin, Tolwyn, etc.) or becomes a novel character (Bear, Doomsday, Sparks).

It's kind of amazing that anyone would reply to a post saying that Stingray disappeared to ask whether or not Stingray disappeared.

Hunter wasn't in WC2 (WC2 actually claims he died, in its losing path... the novels say differently -- though they kill him off before WC3).

Yeah sadly the damn UPS boy hasnt dropped off my copies of the WC books... so I havent read them yet... What the heck is takin him so long!

Back