Awesome graphics....possible in WCP?

U

Unregistered

Standoff looks great....but is it possible to update WCP in a similar way? You guys released an OpenGL patch a while ago which was a start...

Wouldn't they have to build completely new high poly models and rebuild the missions for that?

Standoff looks great....but is it possible to update WCP in a similar way? You guys released an OpenGL patch a while ago which was a start...

The answer is yes and no. You can get some of the graphical improvements but not all. Mostly all you can get is the highres patch and the advanced starfields, but that's more then enough to make WCP look like a brand new game.

Yeah, you could get the high res/widescreen patches, and the advanced starfields, and to some degree even the HDR... but the advanced lighting and the most dramatic HDR effects (stars, engine glows etc) would require someone to make new sets of textures for the existing SO objects.

Sorry, I forgot to log in when i started this thread.

Unlikely someone's doing these new textures...but widescreen support, new starfields, a few new effects...would be amazing enough :)

Well, why is it "unlikely" that someone will do these new textures? Come on, guys - it's all there for the taking. Just show some community spirit. If you want upgraded WCP, don't ask if it's possible for someone to do it - ask what you can do to make it happen. You may not be a texture artist yourself, but you could try to actually organise a project like this...

I could do specular and glow maps, but that doesn't really make the ships more detailed, just, well, shinier.
Besides, i am not very familiar with the WCP engine, i can extract, convert and mod textures, but i have no idea how to re-incorporate them into the game. Plus the 3D exploration plugin for wcp meshes doesn't seem to work with deep exploration, so testing is a bitch.

Well, if you can redo the textures, that's more than half the job right there. Converting them back to WCP is a simple process, too, no harder than converting them into BMPs. The only complex thing is when you want to modify the ship models themselves, and you really don't need to do that here.

Can the various high resolution textures from the FMV models be applied to WCP in some way? I know we've posted a few of those models for download... and I may have a resource for all the other textures.

Yes, I'm sure the high res textures could be applied - they would be of huge use for anyone taking on such a project. The in-game textures for WCP were limited to 256x256, because that's all that 3Dfx could handle... but that's a limitation we've long abandoned, especially when OpenGL gave us all the features of 3Dfx and more.

(in fact, anyone brave enough to learn to convert ship models could also import higher-poly versions of the WCP ships, if such models were available)

https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7378 - here's the high res Shrike for download. I think Sean might have posted one or two other models... and if he hasn't, I'm sure he'd be willing to (hard to find a nicer guy than Sean Murphy!).

I have a backup tape that I've recovered... and absolutely did not find at EA Mythic;).. that seems to have all the high res textures. I don't see any actual models in there, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow...
Can barely move it in Deep Exploration, if you put more than two of these in a game you have a still life.
But please, PLEASE, whoever has more of them, don't let it stop you from sharing them!
Is there anything from the WC3/4 era except the ingame-models? Haven't seen any non-commercial renderings of those...
As for adding the textures to prophecy/secret ops, that would probably require remapping the meshes, something i'm not very proficient in i'm afraid. I could just paint them over the existing ones, but that wouldn't look much better in the end.

Edit: Ok it isn't so serious after all, for some reason i opened the file multiple times, that's what slowed it down. Is there a polylimit in prophecy? And does anyone know if there's a WCP plugin for Deep Exploration, the the 3D Exploration plugin doesn't seem to work.

If the textures are the ones for the source meshes (as opposed to simply the high-res high-color version of the ingame meshes' textures) they probably include separate color maps and specular maps... those would make the enhanced lighting we have in Standoff work.

I was thinking about just adding specular and glow maps to the existing prophecy models, i could do that i think.
As for adding hi-detail models, after spending several hours reading Killerwave's tutorials and converting from max to 3ds to obj to peo and god knows what, i can safely say i'm not the man for THAT job.

Yes, extracting the current WCP textures and creating specular maps for them is something that you could easily do, and I encourage you to do it and/or get some artist to do it. Eder, Alex and I will help anyone serious enough to hack the new art into WCP; meaning, start working ! :D

Back