Avantasia, The Metal Opera

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
For a long time now I've been a huge fan of bands like Dragonforce, Startovarius, and Iron Maiden. Recently I was looking into other bands that had the same style and became acquainted with Tobias Sammet and his band Edguy and then his side work: Avantasia.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard any of the songs from it. Its set up like a play telling a story over two disks. The music is absolutely incredible. Anyone have any input?

I believe Taylor Swift's new album tells the epic story of a potent warrior who must travel across the River Styx and collect five the hated obliteration skulls to exchange with the loathed Frogmonster for a set of mighty Seraphim-armor which can then be used to drive the hell-forged death-lance into the unbeating demon heart of the all-seeing Gorgax.

(I assume.)

I believe Taylor Swift's new album tells the epic story of a potent warrior who must travel across the River Styx and collect five the hated obliteration skulls to exchange with the loathed Frogmonster for a set of mighty Seraphim-armor which can then be used to drive the hell-forged death-lance into the unbeating demon heart of the all-seeing Gorgax.

(I assume.)

I always had my suspicions that under that "tough guy" exterior you were a softy, Loaf. :p

In all seriousness, I do like some of her music. Though I'll admit when I first heard one or two of her songs, I thought it was that pop/country singer Jewel.

For a long time now I've been a huge fan of bands like Dragonforce, Startovarius, and Iron Maiden. Recently I was looking into other bands that had the same style and became acquainted with Tobias Sammet and his band Edguy and then his side work: Avantasia.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard any of the songs from it. Its set up like a play telling a story over two disks. The music is absolutely incredible. Anyone have any input?

If all your looking for is concept albums, albums that tell a story across multiple songs or the whole album, you could go with classics like Caress Of Steel or 2112 from Rush.

The ska band Catch 22 has a three song story arc on their album Alone In A Crowd. The story encompasses the songs What Goes Around Comes Around, Bloomfield Avenue, and Neverending Story. They tell the story of two lovers who go on a cross country killing spree until their relationship self destructs. Their best album, and some of the best work in Ska in my opinion, is called Permanent Revolution and traces the life of Leon Trotsky. The music kicks off somewhat hopeful as he starts forming his political philosophies and then it moves into the overthrow of the Romanovs. As the album continues it delve into a darker sound as Lenin dies and Stalin comes to power and begins the purges. Then the music becomes somewhat melancholy as Trotsky goes into exile and is eventually assassinated at the end of the album.

Considering the inherently bright sound of most ska music those two pieces come out effectively dark if you pay attention to them.

And rumor has it that Linkin Park's next album is supposed to be a concept album.

I'll have to check out that Avantasia, though, I was a big metal fan before ska claimed my soul :D, still love the stuff though.

If all your looking for is concept albums...
Considering the inherently bright sound of most ska music those two pieces come out effectively dark if you pay attention to them.

And rumor has it that Linkin Park's next album is supposed to be a concept album.

I'll have to check out that Avantasia, though, I was a big metal fan before ska claimed my soul :D, still love the stuff though.

Well to be honest, I'm a huge fan of Power Metal (Dragonforce, Stratovarius, Edguy, Halloween, Iron Maiden, etc.) This album comes from one of the most talented minds in that field (Tobias Sammet). It combines the best in power metal (The above mentioned bands) plus adds orchestral music as well.

In any case though, its worth checking out.

Okay, I've tried to avoid posting in this falsest of false-metal threads, but you've forced my hand. Iron Maiden is not "power metal." They are part of the (years ago) new wave of British heavy metal, from back when everything was merely "heavy metal" and we didn't subdivide into ten thousand categories. The concept of powermetal didn't come into existence until Maiden were well established.

Okay, I've tried to avoid posting in this falsest of false-metal threads, but you've forced my hand. Iron Maiden is not "power metal." They are part of the (years ago) new wave of British heavy metal, from back when everything was merely "heavy metal" and we didn't subdivide into ten thousand categories. The concept of powermetal didn't come into existence until Maiden were well established.

There is also the other way around, manowar's "battle hymns", "into glory ride", and "sign of the hammer" is the best example ever of power metal i can think of, yet these albums were advertised as "heavy metal". The only example of NWOBHM i could recall, would be Spinal Tap, which does not really exist(Saxon was already old in the 70's, and Def Leppard does not make metal at all).

Powermetal is associated with wearing bearskins, eating raw meat, while drinking beer and raping women, after you barehandedly slain your enemies. Rhapsody with their songs of slaying evil dragons and defend the magic kingdom(rhapsody's holy thunderforce) somehow does not fit inthere? Terms like these "somethingblabla-metal"mean nothing, as i have even seen "Gothic metal", "Space Metal", "Pirate metal"(i linked above) and "He-man metal"

As Lemmy Kilmister said, "It's all rock and roll"

Powermetal is associated with wearing bearskins, eating raw meat, while drinking beer and raping women, after you barehandedly slain your enemies.
Wait, they can do all that *and* still play their guitars? All at once?

Perhaps they have more hands then we have.
(Their hair is so long that you can't see how much limbs they have.) :D

Wait, they can do all that *and* still play their guitars? All at once?
Sure, while driving a customized harley and holding on to a busty blonde girl in a leather bikini in the backseat, no problem.

Back