Auto-Slide

There´s no attrition in space. So if you apply force to an object there it will keep moving until another force makes it stop (or it hits something).

Autoslide is just inertia acting on your ship in space. You cut off all the thrusters and the ship will keep traveling at the same speed, in the same direction, no matter if you turn it, until your engines start producing thrust again.

I don´t use autoslide often, though, since I´m not good at that. But some people say it can be very effective at taking out capship turrets.

It's *extremely* effective against turrets. Start from a few thousand units out (meters or klicks or whatever), select full guns, kick your afterburners and initiate the auto-slide at whatever speed you want to make the pass at (basically, just fast enough to keep turrets from hitting you), keep your nose on the mama cat (or bug) as you pass by, and rain fire upon all the turrets you want (though, I'd suggest missile turrets first).

Dumbfires are also quite effective against turrets during an auto-slide raid (especially if your guns won't handle a turret in one pass)

In UE, it's about the only way to deal with the Fralthi in mission two without taking excessive abuse . . . unless a couple Dralthi happen to sneak up on you while you're playing whack-a-turret.

Well, ships on WC (WC1 at least) has something called acceleration absorbers. Maybe you turn those off when you turn autoslide on.

With autoslide, your fighter drifts using inertia. Normally this is not a goodoption since you can't maneuver while doing it. But it's very effective in some situations.

Delance said:
Well, ships on WC (WC1 at least) has something called acceleration absorbers. Maybe you turn those off when you turn autoslide on.

With autoslide, your fighter drifts using inertia. Normally this is not a goodoption since you can't maneuver while doing it. But it's very effective in some situations.

I would just say that you temporarily turn off your scoop fields when you Autoslide, since they're what give you that atmospheric-style maneuvering capability. Those acceleration absorbers, IIRC, were the inertia-damping system which keeps a pilot from blacking out the first time they bank hard at 1200kps. :D

WC1 & 2 era ships cannot auto-slide. What they CAN do, however, is Shelton slide, which, in itself, is a nifty maneuver. It's also usable in games such as privateer, wc4 (with alt dynamics) and WCP/SO. (Basically, just not in wc3).

Autoslide, however, in any game except wcp, will not allow you to continue at afterburner speed. So, if you have grand dreams of using the fast autoslide trick on those corvettes in WC3, think again. They'll pick you off pretty quickly.

Auto-slide is a feature of your ship which you toggle on or off. Shelton Slide is a manuever, which involves punching full afterburners and turning sharply to either side. It's the trick thaught in Priv's Manual (and in wc2's manual too, IIRC). I think engineers heard about the Shelton Slide and decided to implement it in the hardware. Both things are pretty nice, anyway.

I used shelton slides in WC1 when the opposing wing was too tough for a head on.

Shelton slide was the perfect way to sidestep a whole world of uh-oh when you fronted, say, a handful of Gratha. Isn't there an online picture of the "map" of the Shelton slide from Claw Marks?

overmortal said:
Isn't there an online picture of the "map" of the Shelton slide from Claw Marks?
No that diagram was in the KS "version" of Claw Marks IIRC.

Edit: Though I will attach an "Afterburner Slide" diagram from the Academy manual. I don't think it was called a "Shelton Slide" till Maniac gave it a name in WC3.

C-ya

Attachments

• Shelton Slide.JPG
    Shelton Slide.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 150
True. But whatever you call it, it rocks. Hey, maybe the designers discovered this trick in testing... now that would be cool.

Eh, it's in the SNES WC manual. If I'm not mistaken, the confed ship in the picture is a scimitar, and the kilrathi is a Dralthi. And it was called a Shelton slide in that manual. I also know that it was, at least, described in Claw Marks, whether or not there was a diagram.

Delance said:
Yeah don't play chicken with a Jalthi... use shelton slide...

NOOOOOOO!
Never try to do that. Even worse, never try to do it with a Gratha. I died multiple times from trying it because (at least it seemed so) the enemy did the same. So we both kinda rotated around a common middle point, but faced each other. The pain is that you need quite long to break out from a shelton slide.

I got it now. I master the Shelton slide but I never figured out the autoslide thing.

cff said:
NOOOOOOO!
Never try to do that. Even worse, never try to do it with a Gratha. I died multiple times from trying it because (at least it seemed so) the enemy did the same. So we both kinda rotated around a common middle point, but faced each other. The pain is that you need quite long to break out from a shelton slide.

Actually I do that quite often, specially in WC1, it´s just a matter of knowing when to release the afterburners and apply them again.

IIRC, the SNES WC was released a little later than the PC version. Anyway, the fact that it's suposedly called shelton in the SNES manual changes nothing.

The Autoslide is quite simple, Starkey, just press the key which activates it and you'll be able to point your ship to any direction, while travelling to same place. Useful to kill corvettes in an arrow.

I actually found the corvette to be harder to kill than other bigger capships. Guess corvette gunners are more motivated.

Back