Aurora Spy Plane?

When I was a little kid, I used to have a MicroMachines die cast model of an SR 71 that had a drone on the top of it. I think the drone was supposed to go mach 7+. It could be the drone in the Freedom of Information Act document.

Claymore said:
When I was a little kid, I used to have a MicroMachines die cast model of an SR 71 that had a drone on the top of it. I think the drone was supposed to go mach 7+. It could be the drone in the Freedom of Information Act document.

As LOAF pointed out, it's not.

The D-21 was created with the idea of having an unmanned craft to go into places that an SR-71 couldn't go to. Since there weren't any places that fit that description (not even after the introduction of the MiG-25), the drone was deemed unneccessary. Also an issue was the risk to the 'host' aircraft during the release, due to the trickiness of disconnections at high speed.

Bandit LOAF said:
The drone was a real thing -- here's an internet site about it: http://www.sr-71.org/photogallery/blackbird/d-21/

The big toy GI Joe SR-71 from my childhood had a little fighter on top too, IIRC... some kind of tiny midget fighter. I don't think that was a real thing.

It did have a smaller fighter on top LOAF...I had the same one and it was my favorite toy for a good many years. GI Joe also had a bomber aircraft that had reversed swept wings that was pretty cool too....

Back