Attempt at a Durango

Jezza

Spaceman
Yes, well, I've tried my hand at modelling here this time last year (made a crappy hellcat, crappy bearcat and a monster of a destroyer - under the name Redwarf), and then promptly dropped it for focus on my school work. And now that my senior years are finished, i've tried my hand again. Not with much improvement I might add.

The techniques i used to make this are what i call "ubah-n00b". I simply lack the knowledge to make a *complete* model efficently. As a result of this, its pretty poor in detail. I tried to make intakes and engine ports, but...I couldnt really think of much else.

If anyone has any ideas or gmax hints, I would be very happy to hear them...especially cause i have no idea about how to 'join' together different 'objects (such as the 'island' and the nacelles...especially the island...made that really crappy.)...

Anywho, without further fuss; here is my Durango

Attachments

• Durango.jpg
    Durango.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 160
Hi there. I see that ur useing GMax. I got 3dsMax, so the are compatible. Mybe i can help u out a bit. First, i took a look at the modell, and i have to say, its Great!! THe overall shape is really good! i dont really understand why you would want to join the objects... if you want to move em around as one piece, group them :)
About addig detail: you have to decide how great polygon count you want to work with, that means about how much time you got to fiddle around with small details. You can add detail by means of mapping, and/or geomtry. If would suggest you go for geometry first. This means that you should modell smaller parts as well. Make them from separate objects, then pull them into place. Remeber this is NOT an engineering software, you dont need (simply can't) to be exact. Details, as everything is made from primitievs. For the engine outlets, for example (ya know the rounded holes where the thrust comes out), i would start with a cylinder. Make it have about 10 sides (+-4, try).Make it short. convert it to polygon. select the top face. Now, with the face selected, scale it down. Now, with the face still selected, click on "inset" (right side toolbar, you may need to scroll down to see it, click on the small box beside the button "inset"). Now enter a number into the box, to make a new face about 90% of the original. Click ok. Now click the same place on extrude, and enter a number so that the face will go into the cylinder, but not through it. (that will be a Negative number :) ) Now you should have this thing. Unselect the face. Select the whole object, and pll it into place. We have engine outlets!! :D Clone it (hold shift and drag.) and place them i think there should be 8 or ten / side? in two rows. Make one side, then use Mirror from the upper toolbar. THere should be some kinda help included on how to do things like mirroring, so just read the help or tutorial if you have one.
Good luck! I never dared to start working on the intrepid, allthough its the most beutifull Capship to me... :)

Indeed? Thanks alot for your input. The tutorial i read last year (when starting to mod) was originally for making a Freelancer ship..not something quite as complex as the Durango..which as i see it, consists of three parts; two nacelles and the 'island'. I built the stardboard, mirrored it, then built the middle. I was under the impression that to make them into the one object i would have 'join' them...or something to that effect.
The tutorial i read didn't really get into that, and i cant get any of the help options to work. As a result, i've only really made blocky objects starting from a block...
I shall try to added details such as the engines as you suggest, but you wouldn't happen to know where i could get some mre detailed tutorials?

Tuts... well, try www.3dtotal.com . You can find tuts in the freeware sections on the top menu bar. (its quiet hidden :) ) You can find some tuts for 3dsmax modelling, from basics to extremes.

Btw, how you about painting maps for the ship? I mean, do you have exp in 2d? Just cause i dont :(

Back