asteroid collisions

kilolima

Spaceman
IIRC, asteriod collisions in the original were much more damaging? I remember that one asteriod would drop shields, and the next kill armor and probaly the ship (if flying thru with afterburners...). Asteriods were so dangerous and hard to avoid, at least for me, that running away on afterburners thru an asteriod field was only the LAST resort...

I like the ability in the remake to fly around asteroids and the fact that they are so big and moving in random directions... but I think a collision with one should be instant death or close to it. Compared to any of the game's weapons a solid chunk of space rock is like a MASSIVE mass driver projectile. (be cool to use the beam repulsor to fling them at capships or bases)

Well, in the original you simply had to wildly swing your ship's nose up and down, paying attention that you roughly face your destination... You got through the field without any damage :) Well, this was due to the game engine, so I guess this doesn't occur in Remake. But I found it a bit strange that asteroids fly through each other... I know it is impossible to compute the collisions of 10000 asteroids, but maybe it would be possible to take let's say the 100 asteroids that are closest to you in the direction you face (i.e. when looking backwards using F4, you examine the rocks behind you - you only examine the visible rocks, that is), and decide if they hit each other or not. Collision would divide each of them into 3 or 4 smaller parts moving into separate directions... That shouldn't be so hard to be made, should it? The only problem comes when you change the view and two rocks that are flying through each other get into the 100 ones that should collide. In this case, collision-decision should be a simple distance-match (<=0 means collision), and the new smaller parts should be placed in a way that their distance is greater than zero (it can also be complicated...). When a rock breaks into more parts, only one of the new parts should get in the place of the old that blew up. (I mean, after breaking, one of the 100 places becomes free - let's put the closest new part in this place.) Another problem is that you should dinamically change the list of the 100 rocks being tracked, and continuously examine only the closest ones. I think refreshing this list wouldn't need to be made more often than every 5th second.

Instant death wouldn't work so well I thinkit would be no fun to have one hit you from behind and blow up your ship.

Strangely right now it is safer to use the afterburner as this gives you a better chance to avoid getting hit from behind, so it's rather opposite the old one. So a better (gameplay wise) asteroid implementation is on the someday in the future list.

At this time it is not possible to send an asteroid flying with the repulsor or have them bounce off each other, because asteroids don't actually exist as individual entities.

I still don't understand how asteroids can catch a Centurion in full burner from behind...

However, I do think the asteroids reduced lethality makes up for the fact that you can't shoot the big one that is filling your cockpit glass. I remembe a few close calls in the original where I would only blast an asteroid in my path at the very last second - it was a choice between turning away and mssing the shot or boring in and risking a collision.

However, I do think the asteroids reduced lethality makes up for the fact that you can't shoot the big one that is filling your cockpit glass

yeah, but think about trying to shoot a rock the size of a mountain... would your guns really have any effect?

Asteroid fields are great fun right now in the remake, but there's just no risk at all, even in a slow ship like the tarsus. It should be suicidal to enter a field in a slow, cumbersome ship (think Empire Strikes Back).

I would just like to see asteroids do more damage... like the original... 2-3 hits max and you're toast.

kilolima said:
yeah, but think about trying to shoot a rock the size of a mountain... would your guns really have any effect?
They did in the original, and I am just making the comparison.

well it seemed to do a lot of damage last I checked...but I guess it would just bring down your shields...I can up it.... can people experiment with values here?

edit units/units.csv
search for AFieldBasePriv
look at 36000
and change that to maybe 72000 to double the damage or something :)
you can change af-hud.spr,, to af-hud.spr,.25, to make the asteroids 1/4 as big...
likewise you can make them bigger that way...

you can also edit vegastrike.config and change the AsteroidDiffiuclty variable to make them move slower

please experiment and find some good yet challenging values

hellcatv said:
well it seemed to do a lot of damage last I checked...but I guess it would just bring down your shields...I can up it.... can people experiment with values here?

edit units/units.csv
search for AFieldBasePriv
look at 36000
and change that to maybe 72000 to double the damage or something :)
you can change af-hud.spr,, to af-hud.spr,.25, to make the asteroids 1/4 as big...
likewise you can make them bigger that way...

you can also edit vegastrike.config and change the AsteroidDiffiuclty variable to make them move slower

I don't think the variables should be changed. They're just fine as they are.

Anyway, the asteroids are larger but cause less damage. But, they also move much slower than Privateer asteroids IMO.

great! thanks for pointing out where the config values are, I'll play around with it.

Back