Asteroid Blues

Rejangles

Spaceman
First, I want to thank the people that produced the Remake, it is a lot of fun, and a real kick to see Privateer again.

This is not a whine on this game, I have felt this way since the original Wing Commander. (respectful silent pause, a tear runs down my cheek as I salute Chris Roberts' general direction)

I *@#**# HATE asteroids. I have always hated them, I hate their parents, their children, and their domestic livestock. I can deal with them, but those things just piss me off.

That's better, now back to Palan to get my clock cleaned by the Demons.

In the Super Nintendo Wing Commanders, a single asteroid hit destroys your ship.

It's pretty damn hard to get hit by the asteroids in the remake. Ihave had no porblems afterburning thru them in my demon. The asteroids in WCI were the worst tho. If you hit one that damaged your comm system, you couldn't land.

ya we're working on the asteroids..I've already got a prototype asteroid system for Vega Strike with destroyable asteroids and configurable speed/difficulty/size
this should be pretty easy to port over to the privateer remake when I find good constants :)

just keep the folowing parameters in mind:

big

bad

and almost unsdestructable

and "not enemy", as one is able to activate autopilot with the cloaking device within an asteroid field and fly directly to the choosen destination with the autopilot... --> funny

yeah, hellcat a suggestion for improvement, can u make the roids polygons all about the same size range so that you can distinguish the big ones from the little ones by poly count, currently the scale is not visually decipherable because there is no hint what is large-distant or small-and-close or any idea of range except by occlusion

Who in their right mind would build a station inside a death trap ?

If it is a mining base, built on an asteroid it isn't too surprising to find them in an asteroid field :) IIRC there are no refineries in a field. There is a planet or two, but they weren't "built".

Well, having an asteroid field around the planet *is* physically impossible. Right now I only can remember Mjolnir@Ragnarok placed inside asteroids. In original Privateer with its primitive sprites it could pass, but in Remake it looks really out of place. (A ring like Saturn's is different, but it would require a completely different object)

heh I won't argue with it looking strange, but how would something like that be physically impossible? You don't seem to have a problem with a large rock in there, what's wrong with having a larger rock (a planet?) Substitute rocks for all the satellites going around earth in different orbits, and set them a bit farther away if you like, and *asteroid field*! Well, OK normally they form into rings but it's at least possible if tremendously improbable ;)

If one wants to talk about impossible, how about localized clumps of asteroids that don't seemn to be orbiting anything? The answer isn't that it might somehow be possible, but rather that we just tend to look past this stuff.

Rings would be easy to add: there are plenty of them in Vegastrike but for now if Priv says there are roids there, there be roids.

You've answered it - they're rings because they spin at *orbits*, and in orderly fashion. The stuff simply swarming around like it does in roid fields would be sucked down into the gravity well in a moment. A rock, even a large one, doesn't produce such effect.

My first post addressed internal game logic (Why would anyone build a base in the middle of a bunch of asteroids? cause they are built on asteroids! And no one built the planets, that *in the game* happen to be in fields. Why anyone settled them is beyond me) . Physics had nothing to do with it.

You then dragged physics into it and stated "Well, having an asteroid field around the planet *is* physically impossible." I agreed that the game isn't exactly realistic, but took issue with the accuracy of your statement. Me claiming that it is possible to have a 'roid field around a planet is not the same thing as me claiming that the 'roid fields in the game are possible. They aren't. Like I said, we ignore it. We're not the ones who put them there.

So, RE: asteroid field around a planet -
Not everything that orbits a planet has to do so in a single plane (forming a ring). See what I said about satellites. There are currently hundreds of satellites orbiting earth, and they in no way form a ring. Some of them have orbits along the equator, some have orbits that take them over the poles. And then there are geosynchronous satellites.

Rings, AFAIK are usually remnants of accretion disks, or destroyed moons. If a rock arrived at a planet from elsewhere though and managed to be captured and settle into a stable orbit, and if this happened often enough, you could end up with a cloud of rocks orbitting a planet in completely different planes. Physically *possible*

Happy Camper said:
It's pretty damn hard to get hit by the asteroids in the remake. Ihave had no porblems afterburning thru them in my demon. The asteroids in WCI were the worst tho. If you hit one that damaged your comm system, you couldn't land.

Which was a real bite.

Rejangles said:
First, I want to thank the people that produced the Remake, it is a lot of fun, and a real kick to see Privateer again.

This is not a whine on this game, I have felt this way since the original Wing Commander. (respectful silent pause, a tear runs down my cheek as I salute Chris Roberts' general direction)

I *@#**# HATE asteroids. I have always hated them, I hate their parents, their children, and their domestic livestock. I can deal with them, but those things just piss me off.

That's better, now back to Palan to get my clock cleaned by the Demons.

I actually like the asteroids the way that they are done in the Remake. When I had discussed a possible second add-on (like Righteous Fire was the first) with the guys at Origins, one of the possible equipment mods was a "slide field" that would have made collisions with other ships and with asteroids run like they do in the Remake.

My guess is that in Remake, every ship is equipped with one ;)

I haven't really had much of a problem either. I'll have to agree with Rejangles, asteroids were the most annoying part of Wing Commanders 1 and 2 and also what made traveling in Privateer nearly impossible. When Wc3 rolled around, asteroids didn't move, they just floated off in the distance and were never a problem.

I also like the asteroid fields as they are in remake 1.0. Would be nice if it was possible to kill them but that is not necessary in mi opinion. If one got's time they are quite easy. It is more difficult if you got a bunch of ships behind you and have to use your afterburner in the field to run them.
So here is my question: I tried to use the repulsor beam to push them out of the way an run highspeed through the field but i'm not sure if the beam had any effect.
Does anybody know if the repulsor effects asteroids?

Back