Armada's Voices of War

Wedge009

Rogue Leader
Just a few things here and there I noticed when I should have been doing my computer assignment :eek: :
Commander's Log - 2668.330
After the tense months leading up to the destruction of the secretly produced Haraka carrier force...
Heh, "Haraka"? :)

Now, as the Concordia rounds Damioyn, I gaze out the tiny porthole in my bunk. A waning crescent moon dips behind the thick clouds of this transfer planet...
Still have room on the maps, LOAF? ;) Or any ideas as to which system this planet belongs to?

Commander's Log - 2669.012
Alone in my room, I send exactly 61 urgent e-mails on the red line.
DATE: 2669.011
PILOT: #TCN/SHIP-133B/CREW
SECURITY: Level II
STATEMENT OF SECRECY: This information is the sole property of the Terran Confederation... [blah, blah, blah]... will result in a fine of 25,000 dols...
Hmm, "dols"? What ever happened to credits?

MISSION ORDERS: Report for duty at Goddard Transfer Station by 1700 hours, 2669.018...
Interesting that Victory Streak puts the date of the Lexington's departure at 2669.011. See also the next quote:

Stelkta, the main moon of Goddard, sails smoothly past the main port window, immediately replaced by the streaming rays of an ascending sun...

Also, on the Kilrathi side:
Notice: Action Report
Hard news has just arrived of losses on the front line, though our Navigation Leader cannot pinpoint the time of transmission. Our brother forces lost two light carriers in a battle near Omega Sector, along with seventy-four brave warriors. The message from the last remaining carrier indicates that the enemy task force was presumably attempting an attack on a Feeding Colony on Bordrav. Six Salthis torpedoed the Confederation carrier in time to prevent the attack.
I assume this is what you meant by torpedo-loaded Salthis, LOAF? Probably not a big deal, given that Epees can load torps (hmm...).

Anyway, Omega Sector? Bordrav? More food for your long-abandoned maps, LOAF?

Originally posted by Wedge009
Hmm, "dols"? What ever happened to credits?
Presumably, the writer forgot to check whether the Confed currency had already been named, or some other silly mistake like that. Still, we gotta deal with it :p.
Actually, I have come up with a sort of theory to explain this, partially inspired by Argentina. Considering the state of things at this point during the war, inflation would have probably reached unreal levels, and something would have had to be done to normalise the currency. In such situations, replacing the currency is not an uncommon solution (though usually the new currency is identical in name to the old one). What about the references to 'credits' that we hear in Priv, though? Well, the financial crisis would have probably persisted and resulted in another currency change (looking at Argentina, and taking into account the destruction of BoT, that seems reasonable). Of course, the poor folks about the Lexington never found out about that, since they lost contact with the rest of the universe on '69.019.
The neat thing about this theory is that it also explains the 300,000,000 Hornet vs. 300,000 Centurion pricetag differences (the military/civilian explanation had never seemed adequate to me, considering the specs of a ship like the Centurion and the price differences between private and military planes in the real world) - simply, in '54 inflation had been reaching one of those periodical highs that must have plagued Confed during the war years.
Mind you, someone who knows more about economy might find a few things wrong with this theory ;).

Interesting that Victory Streak puts the date of the Lexington's departure at 2669.011. See also the next quote:
Well, note that that's the date when the commander of the Lexington gets his assignment. We can only assume that for one reason or another, Confed preferred to release this date instead of 018.

Re: Re: Armada's Voices of War

That's actually not a bad theory, for someone who despises economics. ;)

Originally posted by Quarto
We can only assume that for one reason or another, Confed preferred to release this date instead of 018.
That's what I thought - just explain it away as a 'security precaution'.

Our Currency wasn´t changed, it´s the old PESO
What changed was the exchange rate with the Dollar, for 10 years 1 Peso=! U$S.
Now the Dollar has *free flotation*, i.e today 1 Peso=3 U$S, that is called *Devaluation*, because the people work for the same quantity of money but the *living cost* raised about 40 %, just FYI in january the cost of a 2.25 l Coke was 1.40 $, and now cost 1.79 $

Yeah, devaluation. It's always painful when a currency has to devalue or change from fixed to float, usually because the government or whatever body is responsible for the nation's currency didn't want to do it earlier.

Originally posted by Ghost
Our Currency wasn´t changed, it´s the old PESO.
I'm confused then... at least according to the news here, there had been plans to introduce a new currency. But then again, that was probably planned by one of them president-for-a-day people :p.

Mmmhhh...maybe you have secret info ;)
AFAIK there is no plan to add or change our currency.
I do indeed, sir! The BBC says that one of your recent presidents wanted to introduce the "argentino" as a third currency running alongside the peso and the dollar. The article also mentions another currency, the "patacon", which had apparently been introduced in August (but presumably died or something). I can only assume that the plans for the argentino were scrapped since then.

There are some Bonds (like the Patacon) that each province made to use as internal currency,mostly to pay to the state employees,not to replace the Peso.
And the Argentino was the brilliant idea of one-of-the-presidents-for-a-day :rolleyes:

What changed was the exchange rate with the Dollar, for 10 years 1 Peso=! U$S.
Now the Dollar has *free flotation*, i.e today 1 Peso=3 U$S, that is called *Devaluation*,

I'm fairly sure you've made a mistake here. If your currency has devalued then 1 Peso shouldn't have jumped from 1 to 3US$. It should have gotten less like 1 Peso = 0.80 US$.

As much as topic drifts are a part of life as WC (erm, sort of), would anyone else like to go back to the first post and make a (proper) comment?

And the Argentino was the brilliant idea of one-of-the-presidents-for-a-day
I was right, though, there had been plans for a new currency at least for a few days :p.
Hey, I know how Argentina can solve its financial crisis... set up a new TV gameshow, called - you guessed it - President For A Day :).

Erm... sorry, Wedge.

Ah, don't worry. I've figured if anyone wanted to say something they would have done so by now. If anyone wants to post something seriously these days, they go to... SpaceBattles! :)

Boys,Boys...
Finish your jokes with *RIMSHOT* it adds more *style* to them
The *rimshot* is some auto-sarcasm, usually to show that even the author, finds the joke pretty lame... ;)

Originally posted by Wedge009
Ah, don't worry. I've figured if anyone wanted to say something they would have done so by now. If anyone wants to post something seriously these days, they go to... SpaceBattles! :)

Hey, that gives me an idea... :D

Back