Arena's Fighting Ships (April 14, 2007)

Yes, flying captured ships is always a blast even if it's something as crappy as a Kamov. :) (That mission was one of my favourites, though it could get annoying if you had to replay it several times).

But if it would have happenend in every game it'd become dull. But since it only happens in SM2, they could have used it one more time. Enemy fighters often have interesting designs (Gratha, Jalthi, Hhriss, Jalkehi, Gothri, Strakha, Pakthan would be the most interesting fo me).

Yes, flying captured ships is always a blast even if it's something as crappy as a Kamov. :) (That mission was one of my favourites, though it could get annoying if you had to replay it several times).

But if it would have happenend in every game it'd become dull. But since it only happens in SM2, they could have used it one more time. Enemy fighters often have interesting designs (Gratha, Jalthi, Hhriss, Jalkehi, Gothri, Strakha, Pakthan would be the most interesting fo me).

Starlancer had a lot of neat missions that would drive you crazy, but not in the good way. Zooming from one side of the Reliant to the other, shooting down torpedoes at the end of a long mission, eating up your afterburner fuel and all too often leading you into a suicidal crash into one of the torpedoes. That kind of mission showed up way too many times in that game and it is one of the reasons I can't stand playing it now that I've finally beaten it (got a higher number of kills than Klaus Steiner!)

About how captured ships could get old, you have a good point, and it reminds me, THANK GOD the Medal of Honor series doesn't make you go undercover anymore, it happened in so many of those games and it dragged them to a screeching halt

It also happens in Super Wing Commander's "SM1.5" addon (the Tiger's Claw captures a single Dralthi, which you fly). Academy also has something similar, where you fly a simulated Jrathek because a defector had brought over the plans.

A single Kilrathi fighter would have been a neat option in a Privateer title (balanced and integrated properly, PrivRemake noncomprehendos).

A single Kilrathi fighter would have been a neat option in a Privateer title (balanced and integrated properly, PrivRemake noncomprehendos).

Yeah, like a small armed transport or retired fighter class would have been cool if it had been done correctly.

I meant more along the lines of making sure it was a single, isolted ship you came across in some plot or side-plot relevant manner - rather than having the option to buy a Hakaga if you want (see: Vega Strike). The actual working of the ship would depend entirely on the games own mechanics.

Well, I think some cheap used Dralthis or Gothris From a few vendors would be an interesting reward from a sub-plot.

Gotcha LOAF, that would have been interesting to have a Confed mission where you had to sneak behind the lines or something of that nature.

I dunno, while a Gothri is undoubtedly cool, it comes across as a Kilrathri Sabre - same main guns, similar missiles, turret at the back, similar performance... although it does have stronger shields.

More interesting would be somthing like the lumbering Jalkehi or 'egg-with-sledgehammer' Sartha. By their very nature, superfighters are going to be similar in terms of performance, being the quick, manueverable, protected, death-dealing machines that their title signifies.

Oh yes, of course. Resist the beginnings! :) (I think I typed it correctly in the other thread though (the one about the poll)).

That Rapier II looks like a Decepticon...
Now I need a specific release date to plan on taking a few days off (of work).

Anyone else notice how it mounts Ionic Pulse Cannons...that's a little different to see on a Rapier and nice nod.

The Rapier II now has appeared on 4 WC games in 6 different versions, correct? Awesome durability.

The one thing I've yet to see in this thread is a general disposition toward the somewhat stylized new design of all the traditional ships. Personally I'm not too found of the designs they came up with for them, they seem lackluster and honestly I think some of the hobiest modellers on these forums have put up better looking renditions then these arena ones. Just my two cents, aethetics I guess is to each owns matter of taste.

I haven't ever seen people here developing "stylized" versions of ships - the general goal of fan stuff seems to be to build ship models which are as accurate as possible.

I don't think you can look at the shot of the Broadsword coming right at th Darket in one of the screens or the rendering of the SWC-style Rapier and complain overly much that the designs don't look like the originals.

Why doesn't the hanger shot of the Arrow Guardian list it's weapons like the other hanger shots?

I think it was one of those 'caught just as it flashed by' screens and the weapons loadout didn't have time to load... but you can see all kinds of details on all three Arrows in the most recent video posted (the 135 meg one from tonight).

Back