Arena For the PC?

T.K. Sax

Spaceman
Any one here if there is a change the would release this for Windows? The BSG Arena game was release for windows, and since I am a console challenged person I keep hoping to see that it will be released for the PC.

It'd be nice, as I fall in the same boat as you do, but I think this was mentioned elsewhere and the answer was that it was not likely.

I would go to the shop and buy it as soon as it is released. Not because I like the style (I don't like pure MP action games, I prefer games with a real SP mode.) but to encourage EA to make games (especially WC games) for PC. :)

Yeah, too bad I don't have an Xbox 360. In response to LOAF's post about this in another thread, EA would not need a small-scale download service for PC games, and I don't think they would need much money to port it to PC anyway, since they could just re-use what they had for the console version of it. As far as I know, I don't think it's that hard to port it to PC.

Plus, all former WC games were for PC, so why not? :)

Yeah, too bad I don't have an Xbox 360. In response to LOAF's post about this in another thread, EA would not need a small-scale download service for PC games, and I don't think they would need much money to port it to PC anyway, since they could just re-use what they had for the console version of it. As far as I know, I don't think it's that hard to port it to PC.

Plus, all former WC games were for PC, so why not? :)

I suppose Super Wing Commander isn't available for the PC... but is live for windows (the only way Arena will ever be on PC) really a big enough market to warrant a port? As such, I don't imagine it would be that hard to port to that platform but control would be an issue. You would almost certainly need to require that the PC players have a 360 style controler for the game as well since the controls were built from the ground up for it. It would somewhat difficult to find a control scheme for the mouse and keyboard hat felt right I would imagine. That's development money that might not be justifiable for a niche market. I would rather they make an add-on for Arena before they bother porting it to the PC. Just some more fighters (heavy fighters anyone?) or a third faction would be cool, though one more multiplayer mode and map would be even more great.

Boom Boom Rocket got an add-on after all.

It sounds like I'm in a similar situation as a lot of people here. Given my financial situation, I can't justify buying an XBox 360. But if they offered Arena on Live for Windows, I'd be one of the first people in line for it.

The BSG Arena game was release for windows, and since I am a console challenged person I keep hoping to see that it will be released for the PC.

Yes, it was released for Windows, but it appears that it wasn't released with the "Live for Windows" tag. Therefore, I believe that XBox 360 and PC players can't play against one another; perhaps someone else can confirm this. While that isn't necessarily a gamebreaker, cross-platform play is something that all parties would like to have.

Cross-platform play has already been done with one game (Shadowrun), but after going to a couple sites, it appears that that game had pretty negative reviews. There's another game coming out for the Xbox 360 in February (Universe at War) which offers cross-platform play. It got pretty good reviews for the PC, so it'll be interesting to see how that one does.

I suppose Super Wing Commander isn't available for the PC... but is live for windows (the only way Arena will ever be on PC) really a big enough market to warrant a port? As such, I don't imagine it would be that hard to port to that platform but control would be an issue. You would almost certainly need to require that the PC players have a 360 style controler for the game as well since the controls were built from the ground up for it. It would somewhat difficult to find a control scheme for the mouse and keyboard hat felt right I would imagine. That's development money that might not be justifiable for a niche market. I would rather they make an add-on for Arena before they bother porting it to the PC. Just some more fighters (heavy fighters anyone?) or a third faction would be cool, though one more multiplayer mode and map would be even more great.

Boom Boom Rocket got an add-on after all.

I can't find any info about Games for Windows sales figures; I'd be interested if anyone could find some numbers. Porting the platform shouldn't be too difficult. Shadowrun supposedly offered the option of keyboard/mouse control or a gamepad; perhaps a PC Arena game would allow a similar option.

BBR did have an add-on, but from what I've read, it seems to me that the gameplay for BBR is much more "add-on oriented." It's a similar game to Dance Dance Revolution or Guitar Hero; you time your patterns to music. All the programmer would have to do is program up a few songs and you've got an add-on. With Arena, you have to create new ships or maps; I imagine that would require more of a programming effort.

If I were to create an add-on to WC:Arena, I'd consider adding to the single-player aspect of the game to make it more similar to the PC games. Perhaps a campaign (not necessarily branching like WC1 or 2, but that would be awesome), with the player starting out as a new pilot onboard a carrier. The pilot would only have access to one ship, then gradually work his way up the ranks (and ships), moving to different squadrons as time went on. I can't say I have an idea how the SP missions could work in Arena's current gaming engine (perhaps micro-jump-points to the Nav Points which are different maps, or maybe they could find a way to implement an autopilot), but they could think something up.

One advantage to this method is that the demo could offer the first system worth of missions, a la Secret Ops. Another advantage is they could create add-ons as episodic releases. Since the size of the XBLA games was boosted from 50 to 150 MB shortly before Arena came out, that gives them plenty of space to work with.

Well, time will tell. For now, I'm just crossing my fingers that a PC port will eventually happen.

Yes, it was released for Windows, but it appears that it wasn't released with the "Live for Windows" tag. Therefore, I believe that XBox 360 and PC players can't play against one another; perhaps someone else can confirm this. While that isn't necessarily a gamebreaker, cross-platform play is something that all parties would like to have.

Like you discovered, there's really only one or two games that have that available. Yeah, a game would have to be a part of Live for Windows to play with 360 players, but almost all Live for Windows games do not have that option available.

I can't find any info about Games for Windows sales figures; I'd be interested if anyone could find some numbers. Porting the platform shouldn't be too difficult. Shadowrun supposedly offered the option of keyboard/mouse control or a gamepad; perhaps a PC Arena game would allow a similar option.

It'd be time consuming to figure out what good PC controls would be and then implementing and testing them. The Arena controls were still being perfected 8-10 months after they were initially worked out. I really think a lot of people here are underestimating how long it takes and how much it costs to port games like this.

One advantage to this method is that the demo could offer the first system worth of missions, a la Secret Ops. Another advantage is they could create add-ons as episodic releases. Since the size of the XBLA games was boosted from 50 to 150 MB shortly before Arena came out, that gives them plenty of space to work with.

Expansions were not originally restricted to the 50 MB limit.

Given my financial situation, I can't justify buying an XBox 360. But if they offered Arena on Live for Windows, I'd be one of the first people in line for it.

Well, time will tell. For now, I'm just crossing my fingers that a PC port will eventually happen.

Unfortunately, the more people not buying Arena on the 360, the less likely a PC port will ever be considered.

BBR did have an add-on, but from what I've read, it seems to me that the gameplay for BBR is much more "add-on oriented." It's a similar game to Dance Dance Revolution or Guitar Hero; you time your patterns to music. All the programmer would have to do is program up a few songs and you've got an add-on. With Arena, you have to create new ships or maps; I imagine that would require more of a programming effort.

I believe Arena is designed to support some addons -- new ships, modes, devices, etc. EA is somewhat terrified of this model, though, as they got such a bad rap for offering similar content very early on (it's since become a fairly normal thing.) The BBR addon, for instance, is actually a free update -- justified by the idea that it capitalizes on the suddenly-huge install base of people with Rock Band and Guitar Hero guitars.

Now, if you can come up with a similar "here's why Wing Commander Arena can be re-marketed to people with fake guitars" concept then I'll happpily pass it along. :)

I do not know of a PC port ever being considered -- it's just not a gaming platform anymore. I think if you backtrack you'll probably find that the BSG game was a PC title that realized it wouldn't make any money if it wasn't also an XBLA release. I had heard the briefest whispers of a PS3 version for Arena at one point, but I don't think it was ever seriously developed.

I do not know of a PC port ever being considered -- it's just not a gaming platform anymore. I think if you backtrack you'll probably find that the BSG game was a PC title that realized it wouldn't make any money if it wasn't also an XBLA release. I had heard the briefest whispers of a PS3 version for Arena at one point, but I don't think it was ever seriously developed.

Does this mean arena will never be ported to the PC? :(

Pc's arn't gameing plaforms anymore? WTF??? Finnaly when graphics/cpu's and even the monitors are at the point where almost anything is possible.
Is it the piracy issue? If so Live is almost like Steam and on Steam you can't even play the game without registering online. The pickin's have been slim lately for good pc games...on the other hand I havn't even been looking at consol games and what there is to chose from there. Then again I don't want to own another consol. So I'm F*cked!!!
There's always the classics and since all the good old memories are there maybe that's where the love is. Not with some new fangle game but rather with what we already have. :) WC had a hell of a run and it may have another big run in the years to come. Like slappy said; there are kids out there still discovering Wing Commander as us older folk put our once charrished games up on Ebay.
Alot of people bitched when Wing Commander 4 came out because the game engin didn't really change. I for one think it was a kick ass game for it's time but just hated what became of Towlyn...a man that once portrayed everything great about Confed becoming..well a bad, bad man. But such is life when we dream and want something so badly that eventually when we do get it we have set out hopes so high that what we finnaly get it....well people are never happy so take what you can get and be as happy as possible.
So the next time you see a Wing Commander game on the shelf at the store just buy it! You buy it and take it home and love it with all of your heart and don't dare complain because you got what you wanted! You just don't know it yet.;)

P.S. I have 4 copies of WC Arena (non pc) for anyone who wants them. If it helpsfoster better WC love then some of you guys can have them and maybe you'll buy the xb360 just for the hell of it.
time to take my meds....

Why is it whenever I'm having fun it's wronge?

Well, by skimming about 10 words of your post after the first two sentences, I think I can respond by saying that while PCs can, _in theory_ do it better than a console, most people seem to prefer the console. Why? because the setup is cheaper (tell me, how much did your rig cost and is it on spec with the xbox360?) and they are somewhat brainwashed. There's people who'll actually tell me that the console is better and "more immersive" for an FPS- and while I've adapted in short order, as I do, to the horrible controls, they still don't compare. PCs are a haven for RTSs- but that's the only thing that consoles are definitively seen as screwing over.

All in all, the PC is better for gaming if the game is there and your rig is up to spec. But for the price of dual-SLI high end I could get 3 xbox360s... and I don't have the money for one. Don't forget RAM and your processor! That's even more! As if most of us would still have the money to both play a game AND eat for the week...

Is it the piracy issue? If so Live is almost like Steam and on Steam you can't even play the game without registering online.

Before registering every game via Steam I won't be playing PC games at all anymore. Period.

Max is right, i bought Half life when it first came out. Couldn't play it cus I didn't have internet. Then I do get internet...then I install...register...update and crap. Two hours later I'm ready to play. By then I didn't want to play anymore. They did a great job with the graphics but it doesn't have the same feel as HL. People are never happy ;)
Look at Halo 2. Couldn't wait for the port to PC and when it comes it was a pretty good game (only real issue is driving...steering sucks, but it's tolerable) I go to the boards and everyones complaining how much the game sucks. The only thing that upset me was buying the game and then having to fork over another $200+ for Vista aswell. :(
Max Gene is right though; alot of peep can't afford to blow all that money on a computer and consols are $200-$400. I could have esily just bought Halo and a consol for about the same price instead of upgrading to Vista.

most people seem to prefer the console. Why? because the setup is cheaper (tell me, how much did your rig cost and is it on spec with the xbox360?) and they are somewhat brainwashed. There's people who'll actually tell me that the console is better and "more immersive" for an FPS- and while I've adapted in short order, as I do, to the horrible controls, they still don't compare.

"Brainwashed?" :) When I play console FPS games, it is a more immersive experience. Like virtually everyone, I have a bigger/better sound and video setup for my console than my computer. There's nothing innate about a mouse and keyboard that makes it better than a controller. People just tend to prefer whatever they're used to. Any minor gains you might have from being able to aim better with a mouse are offset by how clumsy WASD are for movement. I've played PC FPS games for more than fifteen years, but I'd take a controller over a mouse and keyboard any day.

P.S. I have 4 copies of WC Arena (non pc) for anyone who wants them. If it helpsfoster better WC love then some of you guys can have them and maybe you'll buy the xb360 just for the hell of it.

What does this mean?

Oh, I'll admit your equipment is better most likely for your console sound/vid-wise. My friend wanted me to think that somehow the twin sticks were tying him deeper into the game- I can't see how. I guess we just differ on this point- WASD isn't clumsy for me, and twin stick works for you. (Although, as anyone who reads PC gamer knows... you'll get creamed if you're playing live on an xbox and run into a PC gamer, as in halo 2. Based off a playoff against Xbox official magazine, I do recall ;D)

Oh, I'll admit your equipment is better most likely for your console sound/vid-wise. My friend wanted me to think that somehow the twin sticks were tying him deeper into the game- I can't see how.

I can see what he means if he's talking about how rolling around the sticks is more natural or intuitive. A slight push in one direction causes your character to shift slightly in that direction. A quick push in another direction causes you to dash off running in that direction, and then all the in-between.

I guess we just differ on this point- WASD isn't clumsy for me, and twin stick works for you. (Although, as anyone who reads PC gamer knows... you'll get creamed if you're playing live on an xbox and run into a PC gamer, as in halo 2. Based off a playoff against Xbox official magazine, I do recall ;D)

No, that's just a BS internet rumor. Halo 2 PC and XBox versions are not compatibile/playable with each other.

I've never used WASD for games. I always remaped for up, down, left(straif), right (straif), ctrl (croutch), shift (jump) and the rest of the controls on the mouse (primary seconday weapons) weapons change, use object.... There are even keyboards out there that have everything right there though never used them.

As for the P.S. thing. Thought that if anyone who loved wc and wanted Arena...maybe if they owned the game they'd buy the system. ;) Agreed with Max though. What I spent on my last vid card...a little more and I could have had a consol.

Your absolutly right abut the sound/screen. Not everyone has a large flatscreen monitor and surround sound. While almost everyone does have that kind of setup for their home theater system. Best of both worlds is to connect the s-vid to the 32" HDTV with wireless mouse/keyboard.

I absolutly believe in god. And I absolutly hate the f*cker. --that guy from that movie

As for the P.S. thing. Thought that if anyone who loved wc and wanted Arena...maybe if they owned the game they'd buy the system.

Yes, but how do you have four copies to give away?

No, I have 3 games to give away. I'm keeping the fourth for myself. ;) Was wondering if I could send them to LOAF or someone you could hold a raffle or something and give them away to promote WC love.
I did it though...I went and bought an xbox360. Look forward to seeing how it performs and how Arena does aswell. And just for shits and giggles if the new WC game comes out on 360 I'll be ready!:)
Also have extra copies of WC books too, though from what I hear they fall apart after reading (never happened here) so I'm not sure if I should keep those in case.

Back