Are we a dying breed?

Yes... there's no such thing as a cancer gene. In fact, that would seem to be the case with most of our diseases - they're not genetic, but simply outside influence. Of course, some people have weaker immune systems and are thus more susceptible, but those probably also depend more on the conditions you're brought up in than on your genes.

I always thought cancer happened because of a defect or something in someones genes. I thought UV was just like something that set it off.

Anyways, nevermind then.

Cricket: Yes and No. Cancer CAN be hereditary, and it is the result of a problem in the genes. However, it does always happends like that. However, most of the time the outside trigger is also the cause of the "mutant" gene.

A couple of things. First, the cancer thing. If you have a hereditary history of cancer, you are more likely to get cancer, and that is usually the case in certain types of cancer, like breast cancer, colon cancer, etc. Other cancers, lung for example, rarely happen to someone who doesn't use any tobacco products. So its a whole host of factors. Doesn't really matter though, you'd think by the 27th century they'd have a cure for cancer.
Two, the Native Americans didn't have any diseases thing. Um, I wish there was a more polite way to say this, but that's just wrong. Miserably wrong. The Europeans DID bring diseases to America with them, most notably smallpox, that devastated the Native American communities due to the fact that the Native Americans had no inborn defenses against the disease that only comes from a society being exposed to it for a long long time. The Europeans brought other diseases back with, most notably syphillis, as was stated earlier in the post.
Bassman (the a in bass is long, I don't fish)

Nephilim and bioweapons

The fact that the Nephilim fly biological ships doesn't mean at all that a bioweapon couldn't work on them. Actually, it raises the possibility that one could destroy the ships themselves with biological weapons, causing the ships to die.

**Spoiler alert if you haven't finished Secret Ops****

The biological ships themselves, when dead, harbor a highly "intelligent" form of flesh-eating bacteria that can attack humans. Seems likely we could attack them biologically in reverse.

Interesting thought...if the ships are biological, should they really be knocked out by convential weapons in the exact same way as mechanical ships?

Do this get, a hand granade, pull the pin see it blow up.
Bioships are ships with organic material, how a bioweapon can afect them in space were there is no atmosphere to transport the virus, besides those things are very advance so they must defenitive have anticorps to deal with virus.
Expolsions and intense heat damage organic materials, now why they use that type of ships in unknow, perhaps they are easier to repair or store in the ships.

And there is no indication whatsoever that that disease is actually "intelligent"... certainly not in the normal I-can-beat-you-in-chess kind of way. Probably more like an instinct.

Back