Apparently the Kilrathi are actually bears.

that's a cheap copy.

"hey remember those kilrathi from wing commander, those cats?"

"yeah, they were pretty cool."

"Let's do something like that."

"Okay, instead of cats we take.. ahh.. bears"

" yeah and we name them kUlrathi, no one will get the analogy" :D

There's a Carebear joke just waiting to be told here... Or maybe a Hello Kitty joke, I haven't decided yet. :D

Samurai bears compared to Samurai cats... Coincidence? Not likely.

463px-WCMArtBook14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There were also the bearlike Bulrathi from Master of Orion, and the Kzin/Kilrathi like Mrrshan as well. Definitely a homage to multiple thingies.

As Klavs pointed out - Bulrathi, a race of giant bears in Master of Orion. This game is a Master of Orion clone, not a Wing Commander clone. They may well have been aware of the existence of Wing Commander and the Kilrathi (not everyone is, you know), but the main point of reference is almost certainly the Bulrathi from Master of Orion.

As Klavs pointed out - Bulrathi, a race of giant bears in Master of Orion. This game is a Master of Orion clone, not a Wing Commander clone. They may well have been aware of the existence of Wing Commander and the Kilrathi (not everyone is, you know), but the main point of reference is almost certainly the Bulrathi from Master of Orion.

True... I have found some suggestions that the Bulrathi were themselves a reference to the Kilrathi though (MoO was 93... and shares a composer even with WC1) . I can't confirm this but it would seem plausible.

Actually Im not sure Wing Commander actually entered their heads.. the Bulrathi were a race of bears in Master of Orion (same genre of game which stardrive is based off) and are pretty much a like for like there. The Mrrshan were the cats in that game ;)

the kulrathi are actually more parody of the bear man 'bulrathi' from master of orion.. but they definitely nodded in our direction a bit as well

The Bulrathi rocked. On MOO3 they were shunned for beign too "cartoonish" in favor of new races like this.

I think the original Bulrathi may have been inspired in the Kilrathi by name, while the Mrrshan were inspired in appearance.

Back