Anyone here ever play any of the Duke Nukem games?

WhiteDevil01

Spaceman
Have any of you ever played any of the numerous Duke Nukem games? I have, and I think they're hilarious! I've played Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown, Duke Nukem: Time To Kill, And Duke Nukem: Land Of The Babes On The PS1 (I own TTK And LOTB), and I'm waiting for the PS2 release of Duke Nukem Forever. Lemme know what you think of the games. (Your fave game of the series, fave weapons, fave wisecracks, etc)

Though Total Meltdown was passable, the other two were outright terrible. Duke 3D was the last truely great FPS (not counting UT).

Don't hold your breath for DNF. That game has been delayed too many times - and I doubt that the PS2 will be able to handle any decent kind of port.

Oh of course...

Yes, I played Duke Nuke Em a lot too. I don't remember the names of the episodes though. I seem to recall another game that was a lot like that one too but things were smaller and you were in a crystal mine. Even then you had to get different color keys.

How about Microcosm? That game was cool I thought. It was like Inner Space. You had to destroy viruses inside a guy and enemy probes. That game was pretty hard. I never got to the last level which was the brain. Once I got to the carotoid artery I always reached critical mass. I can't get that game to work because I can't find the install command for it in the directory. It's always something. Maybe I'll get some irritable thread guy calling me lazy and saying I need to go on a quest for more drivers.

My favorite kill in DN3D (multiplayer): I was holed up on the rocket gantry watching the monitor for movement. I saw my friend come running through the doors to the launch area. I then ran out and jumped off the gantry, fired one missile at the peak of my jump at his position, and about 2-3 feet off the ground hit my jet-pack. I very nearly died, he did die.

Best kill my brother got: Scatter pipebombs around the floor. Duck in a corner and see who comes around. Somebody comes in, sees the pipebombs and starts to pick them up. Detonate the whole load.

Wasn't DNF supposed to come out in '99?

I still have all my old maps saved on CD. That and that genius "Shining" TC.

I'm fairly sure that Duke Nukem 2 was one of the greatest side scrollers of all time. Also, Duke Nukem 3D was fun.

I bought Duke Nukem Advance, but it's just not the same.

I was going to ask if anyone played that - a handheld Duke game sounded like a great concept.

I started working on a WC total conversion for DN3D. The first level took place on a stolen carrier then the next few ended up on Repleetah. I had a big grand vision for it and everything I wanted to do with it. I had much of the carrier laid out and part of a Confed base on Repleetah. The ground base had the Confed star on the floor in the entryway and big ass doors. The carrier had some really cool aircraft elevators that opened on the single side. It was pretty groovy.
The TC was going pretty well, considering what little time I had to work on it, but I wanted to eliminate the jetpack and limit the player only to using ladders, and climbing cliffsides. But I was waiting for Reaper Man to post up the ladder code for the CON files. But my computer upgrades out ran my patience and now I can't get it or Build to work under 2000, or with my current processor. I got a slower Compaq running 98 though, maybe I'll try it out on that.
Duke3D, though, is probably my most favorite FPS ever made. I like stuff that's easily editable.

Duke 3D was freakin' awesome. I used to play that all the time... always in God Mode of course, 'cause I sucked at the game and do love the cheatin'!

On that note: It's been awhile since I've been here, things have changed a bit... at least aesthetically....

I too had attempted a DN3D map using the Build utility. I got as far as the control deck and the flight deck on a Ranger-class carrier - complete with a crashed shuttle and a button that dropped the airlock shields at either end and "sucked" you out (but just changed the floor's movement to -1 so it just moved impossibly fast)

LeHah said:
I too had attempted a DN3D map using the Build utility. I got as far as the control deck and the flight deck on a Ranger-class carrier - complete with a crashed shuttle and a button that dropped the airlock shields at either end and "sucked" you out (but just changed the floor's movement to -1 so it just moved impossibly fast)
I had a button in flight control that would raise and lower the JBDs. I was also going to try something similar to the force field deal but with weak points in the outer hull, shown by way of the ubiquitous crack, so if you weren't careful with your explosives you could breach the hull and die. I never got it to work satsifactorily enough.
But I did have a shuttle as the exit point for the first Repleetah level. There were two swinging doors as an entry point and I was going to have ammo in the back, the dooray to the cockpit would end the level though so you didn't want to charge right in.

I dont remember when it was..but shortly after D3D was released and I think before the 2nd release came out with the added campaign, they also released their "beta" Duke 3D, and it was playable! They also released some voice out-takes, one of them I use for my pc's shutdown sound. The sound is Captain Picard saying "Make it so, number one....Mr. Laforge engage.....Mr. Data suck my...BEEP!!!" :D

Oh the levels!!!! I have about 40 custom levels I made, one has some of the textures used in the beta D3D, was pretty easy incorporating the artwork with the editors provided for the game. Adding different sounds and sprites were also very easy, cept the audio format was funky, the old "voc" format but it worked.

Back in its day, it had a considerable number of players in mp, ranked up there with Descent and Quake 1. The game was a huge success. The story was neat and yes, all those one liners were fantastic! Best part was that it didnt take a hefty pc to run the game. And since the map format was extremely similar to the "Doom" maps, it was also very easy to convert and import Doom maps into D3D, as well as reverse...import D3D maps into Doom, including weapons and sounds.

Ahh the good ol days! Think I will break out the archives and have them aliens "suck it down!" :cool:

My favorite one liners:

TTK:
"I guess pigs DO fly!"
"Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizard Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizard Liiiiiiiiiiiiiizard!"
"Nice dress, fat boy!"
"It's time to find out who's in charge, then kick their @$$!"
"Mmmmmmmmmmmm......Bacon Bits!"

LOTB:
"D@mn, yer fugly!"
"You Little Sh!t!"
"That's one less illegal alien!"
"Awwwwwwww, I'm Sorry, Did That Hurt?"
"Whoa, What The H@!! Have You Been Eating?"

Fave Kill:
When I Made A Pig Cop Charge At Me, And He Ran Into A Room Full Of Pipe Bombs. He Comes In, I Jet Up, And Detonate 'Em All! WALLPAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apogee was my childhood ;)
IRC the first Duke Nukem was called Duke Nukum.
Yes, it was a funny time, with our asshole hero Duke Nukem. He "get" all the girls and kill innoncent aliens, who only want to make a pretty party on earth (DN3D).
I think the PSX versions were badly converted.

Ah, and this tigered reptiloid aliens reminded me a little bit on cats in former times, because I couldn't identify them - not good optic. :D

Back