Anyone From Slovakia? (May 17, 2005)

Cpl Hades

Mr. Kat
There were quite a few responses to our request for information about the Slovakian novels posted earlier this week. Apparently they were also released in the Czech Republic. AD was able to name them all. They are, in order: End Run, Fleet Action, Heart of the Tiger, The Price of Freedom, and Action Stations. The novel which at the time we had no cover art for is False Colors. xwing.wz.cz managed to find that sixth piece of cover art which we've posted below.

--
Original update published on May 21, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my amateur translation:

1/air-raid without (return?) (end run?)
2/ Fleet attack (fleet action)
3/ Tygri Heart (heart of the tiger)
4/ cost freedon (the price of freedom)
5/ fight stand (action stations) (this one looks new and has 2005 as edition date)

the one without a picture is False Colors and is currently not available (although it seems they were expecting in in 2004... this site may be out of date)

It would help if we knew the site where these were from though

It looks like the publisher is a company called Poutnic
They are all paperback and the cover art is all by Jan Patrik Krásný.
The translation is all by a guy named Jiří Engliš.

this is from the Novel excerpt page: http://pes.internet.cz/scifi/clanky/33486.html

William R. Forstchen & Ben Ohlander: The Price of Freedom
Copyringht © 1996 by ORIGIN Systems, Inc.
Translation © 2003 Jiří Engliš
Illustrations © 2003 Jan Patrik Krásný
Publisher © Klub Julese Vernea Praha 2003
ISBN 80-85892-66-9
410 stran, MOC 239 Kč
vyjde v listopadu 2003

Apparently you get a discount for buying a set of four (These minus action stations?) http://www.brloh.sk/kniha.php?id_knihy=2784

interesting

if you look at the last book cover the ships look quite a bit like the human ship from Titan AE. i dont know, i thought it was interesting.

brad

The fighters are recognisable for the most part, though. I'm definitely seeing Epees on several covers, what might be a Rapier in the upper right corner of Fleet Action, and a very interesting take on the Broadsword on the Heart of the Tiger cover (I like it!) I guess that's supposed to be a Dragon on the cover of Price of Freedom, but that's a definite deviation.

The books you mention are realy WC novels. They were published in Czech Republic in last 2 or 3 years.

The last one - Na bojova stanoviste - has been published few days ago, so I do not have it yet.

Translations of titles by AD are prety good, translating it from czech to english:

1. Bombing raid without return (?End Run? in original)
2. Fleet atacks (Fleet Action)
3. Heart of the Tiger
4. The Price of Freedom
5. To Battle Stations (?Action Stations?)

At home I can check the name of 1, I am prety sure that 2,3 and 4 have correct names and 5 when I buy it.

Web page of the publisher:

http://www.poutnik-knihy.cz/

Cpl Hades said:
TC stumbled across these latest strange examples of Wing Commander going international - Slovakian WC novels. There are six of them in all, though the sixth novel doesn't have cover art online. They clearly say Wing Commander on them and all are written or co-written by William Forstchen which makes me think somebody bought the rights to all of his novels. Is there anyone reading who can shed some light on these?
[

Psen is right. Here are relase dates:

End Run - Nálet bez návratu (2001)
Fleet Action - Flotila útočí (2001)
Heart of the Tiger - Tygří srdce (2002)
The Price of Freedom - Cena svobody (2003)
Action Stations - Na bojová stanoviště (2005)
False Colors - Pod cizí vlajkou (not released yet)

Here is cover for upcoming False Colors:
wing6_v.jpg

I don't know if Poutnik publisher has rights for all Forstchen's novels but they released some Lost Union novels.
Here is list of all Forstchen's books released in last years in Czech republic:
http://knihkupectvi.krakatit.cz/search.frm?sid=46671877&@typ=&@nazev=&@autor=Forstchen&x=0&y=0

Greetings from Czech republic.

That's a great piece of art... although what the heck kind of ship is that? Other than the kind that has a hole in the side.

AD said:
That's a great piece of art... although what the heck kind of ship is that? Other than the kind that has a hole in the side.

At a guess that's the artist's take on the Karga. Not really even close to the kat carrier from the games, but then again it's not unknown that cover artwork doesn't quite match up with reality (take the goofy-looking Dralthi-ish thing on the cover of Freedom Flight, or that stupid-looking helmet and the blond chick on the cover of Action Stations, neither of which were in the book).

Death said:
or that stupid-looking helmet and the blond chick on the cover of Action Stations, neither of which were in the book).

God yea, its like they pulled it from some B-Movie 1950's sci-fi movie poster.

Ed

Back