Anyone else think that in Prophecy...

That's definitely the most obscure, impossible-to-use story branches in the entire series...
I know it's pretty obscure for those of us who like to play through every cut-scene. But it's still an easy thing to accomplish... if you know how to.

What does that mean (in this context)?

When something is "ballparked", it means "roughly in the area of".

We were talking about the cutscene where you either boost Dallas's morale or not. Overlord said it took place later on and I said its simply in the area of where we were talking, that the discussion didn't hinge on a specific timeframe.

Coming back to the point I was making about the BIG ships having weak weapons, I mean specifically the "Hydra" ship and the "Leviathan" these hulking great things drifting in space you would think would have amour peircing weapons or something, but all they had were weak gun turrets trying to take down the ships from the Midway, as a result I found to make the whole atmosphere completley gone, as if yeah its an everyday thing to see these hydra's....no sense of dramatic tension or uneasyness at all...a big flaw I'd say when it came to the ship designs for the aliens, if your gonna make a HUGE MASSIVE mothership, etc at least give it some lethal weapons....!!

Coming back to the point I was making about the BIG ships having weak weapons

Its late and I don't have the brain power to remember specifics at 1 am - but I think theres a "tradition" of Wing Commander games having underpowered capship weaponry.

Coming back to the point I was making about the BIG ships having weak weapons, I mean specifically the "Hydra" ship and the "Leviathan" these hulking great things drifting in space you would think would have amour peircing weapons or something, but all they had were weak gun turrets trying to take down the ships from the Midway, as a result I found to make the whole atmosphere completley gone, as if yeah its an everyday thing to see these hydra's....no sense of dramatic tension or uneasyness at all...a big flaw I'd say when it came to the ship designs for the aliens, if your gonna make a HUGE MASSIVE mothership, etc at least give it some lethal weapons....!!
You mean, like the Yamato? It doesn't work :).

The Japanese battleship Yamato had special anti-aircraft shells for its biggest guns. This was the only example I know where a historical capship attempted to use its main weaponry against aircraft. The significant fact about this attempt is that it just plain didn't work. It only got to fire them once as the aircraft approached, and beyond that, it couldn't bring those huge guns to bear again, so it was back to ordinary small anti-aircraft guns.

Even today, if an aircraft were to get close to a modern warship, it would come down to missile launchers and paltry little gun turrets. It's a matter of maneouvrability and refire rate - we know those bug capships have huge and powerful weapons for use against big capships, but we can imagine it's pretty much impossible to bring them to bear on small targets that fly circles around them.

Okay, how about a compromise? :p

Should there be another full WC game, how about it be not quite as super story intensive as WC4, but moreso than Prophecy? ;)

I agree with Mace, I mean in the beginning with the Kilrathi too I'm sure it's the same. It would only make sense, That you don't know much about anything at first contact. And who knows. 600 somethin years in the future and different races I'm sure would be able to translate other races languages fairly quickly. I mean, ever hear of artificial intelligence? I mean it's stuff you have to think about a lil. I mean, mean Kilrathi speak Kilrathi right? What is that? a bunch of grunts, moans, and meows, and roars? The Nephilim seem pretty advanced for being bugs n all.

In reality we have never done something like that, and you need to find common ground to communicate on. I have language skills and find Asian and Native American problematic(German, Spanish, French, Dutch apply the same basic rules in grammar, it is only a matter of learning their words. But even then we are all human(ten fingers, decimal system, same base level of communication, fire=hot, water is cold, stuff like that). If we were to have eleven fingers we would be different. Kilrathi work with a system with 8's(Like hexadecimal or binary), if they designed computers they would have a different approach and noway would be code compatible to hours.

new-series-dalek-3d.jpg

To a Dalek, you would look funny

It's not for lack of trying--Prophecy spends just as much time trying to assosciate the aliens with Old Testament destruction as Wing Commander I did telling us the Kilrathi were the Empire of Japan (if not more--the name, all the talk about prophecies and armageddon... the fact that they're literally a plague of locusts...). I just don't think the idea struck as much of a chord with players.

I think the general idea was good. I'm not entirely sure why it didn't work out, but the Nephilim really could mean the biblical obliteration of the human race, and it is a nice thing to do on a sci-fi setting. But in the end they never felt that threatening.

One losing cutscene I particularly like is when the bug fleet enters the Sol system, guns blazing, with countless fighters, like an unnstopable plague. Very creepy.

There have been several attempts at supernatural space movies and games, with limited success. Anyone remember "Dark Side of the Moon"?

Also, we talk about Wing Commander Prophecy being a deliberate creative decision to 'go back to its roots'... but what we usually left unspoken is that there wasn't necessarily that much of a choice. The jump fron Wing Commander II to III to IV wasn't sustainable--the series couldn't quadruple its budget with every new game. Prophecy's new direction wasn't so much a decision to get rid of things people loved as it was a way to sell the game at all.

Now it should a non-issue since ME, ME2 and DA:O proved you can get a cinematic storytelling game without FMV. Right?

At any event, EA never truly entirely let go of FMV. You had random FMV games here and there, like RA:2 and the NFS series.

Not that I would think another WC would have to be FMV. I don't think it would be a good idea... The right direction is the one of ME. CG characters (in game engine, not pre-rendered) with good voice cast.

German, Spanish, French, Dutch apply the same basic rules in grammar

Well, I think you're mixing up stuff a little...

I think you mean German, English, Dutch and the Scandinavian Languages (minus Finnish) - those form a group and are quite similar in structure... Interestingly, English seems to be the most different from the others, especially if you eliminate Dutch, which in my opinion "bridges" from English to German...

Spanish, French, Italian, Portugese - that's a different language group, all derived from ancient Latin.

Of course there has been a lot of interaction between these two groups so you'll find words or even some structures which originate in one group to surface in some languages of the other group. Good examples for that would be French loanwords in English or German.

if they designed computers they would have a different approach and noway would be code compatible to hours
I wouldn't necessarily bet on that though. Yeah, of course they wouldn't be directly compatible, but they won't be too different, too. The other differences between Humans and Kilrathi don't apply here as cause for the computers being different. Keep in mind, our computers use the binary system, not because this is in any way natural to us humans, but because this was - at the time - the only possible way to get it working - and still to this day would be the only possible way to get it working with reasonable reliability. (You could argue that Quantum computers are a completely different approach, however no-one could ever come up with a Quantum computer without knowing the traditional one.) So the I think the chances that an alien culture, like the Kilrathi, would have their computers based on binary is quite high. And even if they aren't, it's almost certain that at some point in their history, their computers were binary, and that only changed as the advanced beyond that. Other, similar arguments, could be made for other characteristics of how our computers work, like the Von Neumann Architecture. If someone disagrees, I'd sure like to discuss it in a seperate thread.

You mean, like the Yamato? It doesn't work :).

The Japanese battleship Yamato had special anti-aircraft shells for its biggest guns. This was the only example I know where a historical capship attempted to use its main weaponry against aircraft. The significant fact about this attempt is that it just plain didn't work. It only got to fire them once as the aircraft approached, and beyond that, it couldn't bring those huge guns to bear again, so it was back to ordinary small anti-aircraft guns.

Even today, if an aircraft were to get close to a modern warship, it would come down to missile launchers and paltry little gun turrets. It's a matter of maneouvrability and refire rate - we know those bug capships have huge and powerful weapons for use against big capships, but we can imagine it's pretty much impossible to bring them to bear on small targets that fly circles around them.

This reminds me of the Plunkett's and Hades's class capship weapons which looked awesome and deadly, but were almost completely useless (at least for Confed....very helpful for the Neps though, what with the shots destroying the lagging Confed fighters that are chasing the bug ships.

I think you mean German, English, Dutch and the Scandinavian Languages (minus Finnish) - those form a group and are quite similar in structure... Interestingly, English seems to be the most different from the others, especially if you eliminate Dutch, which in my opinion "bridges" from English to German...

Spanish, French, Italian, Portugese - that's a different language group, all derived from ancient Latin.
There is a difference between written language and spoken, from the provence where I come from we speak "Dietsch, or Plattdeutch", If someone from Nijmegen meets someone from Kleve they can talk and understand eachother, but if they were to write it down they could not make heads or tails of eachothers writing. As for the English words, in the 1600's we did a lot of trading, with the british being important partners, in the really old days we would make up our own names when you brought something from a country, later we simply just used their words, that is why there are no dutch words for modern technological devices, or they are litterly translated, wich can be a problem for german speakers(I you were to buy a television and translated "Fernseher" to dutch you would end up with a telescope.) Dutch also had "Naamvallen"(German Kasus) until the 1800's.

Finnish, swedish sounds "Funny" to us, I have lots of pagan/folk music from those countries, and playing their songs actually makes up for a lot of laughs.

Latin derived has a reason; the conquest of Rome against the Basks and the Gauls, and forcefully adjusting them to Roman ways. also Belgian bridges between dutch and French, they write both languages but speak a mix of both.

I wouldn't necessarily bet on that though. Yeah, of course they wouldn't be directly compatible, but they won't be too different, too. The other differences between Humans and Kilrathi don't apply here as cause for the computers being different. Keep in mind, our computers use the binary system, not because this is in any way natural to us humans, but because this was - at the time - the only possible way to get it working - and still to this day would be the only possible way to get it working with reasonable reliability. (You could argue that Quantum computers are a completely different approach, however no-one could ever come up with a Quantum computer without knowing the traditional one.) So the I think the chances that an alien culture, like the Kilrathi, would have their computers based on binary is quite high. And even if they aren't, it's almost certain that at some point in their history, their computers were binary, and that only changed as the advanced beyond that. Other, similar arguments, could be made for other characteristics of how our computers work, like the Von Neumann Architecture. If someone disagrees, I'd sure like to discuss it in a seperate thread.

I disagree, open up the thread ;) . Simple opening, binairy is based a value being true or false, even the first Analytical Engine designed by Babbage used this standard, however it's precursor, the First "Difference engine", used a completely different approach, which was harder to program for and less universal. Back to Aliens, what if they used organic or analog values circuitry and then using more options then true or false? I agree that technology would be comparable at one time, but optimisation might have been done radically different.

And to think another classic franchise from EA, ROAD RASH might be making a return in HD! but wing commander remains dormant....

Wing Commander Arena is in high definition.

Its late and I don't have the brain power to remember specifics at 1 am - but I think theres a "tradition" of Wing Commander games having underpowered capship weaponry.

Pretty much. There are definite exceptions. Sometimes people forget that the Concordia's phase transit cannon was simulated in the engine, but overall the big guns are reserved for storytelling/background purposes. It was a big deal when Secret Ops featured the giant plasma guns on the Cerberus and Plunketts.

Back