Anyone else think that in Prophecy...

Well, since capship battles were few and far between (WCSO cutscenes), the ships just needed to give the appearance of awesome capship weapons. Those tiamat prongs looked like they could wipe out a Sheffield with upgraded shields in one hit with just one of the prongs.

Stop whining and go buy it, it's definitely the most fun WC game to play. :)

Gameplay is amazingly fun, the story and overall feel of the thing is pretty cool, ship design is cool, the characters are pretty cool, it's an amazing game. I actually like Prophecy a lot more than WC3 or 4, space hero Blair exploding planets all over the place and saving the universe from space-Nazis is good fun and all, but I just love the main character being some fairly random, insignificant new guy just doing his part to win the war again.

What I was fairly disappointed with the first time I played was that parts of the game felt a bit empty, with lot of filler patrol missions and the like with few or no cutscenes between, but that really isn't a big problem.

and you'd think a massive spacecraft of that size would have HUGE weapons, but all it was was small little turrets doted about various parts of the ship which were not too much trouble for the Midway fighters, and I was like what? Look the size of the thing! I thought it would shoot out some massive projectile or something....

The ship essentially is a huge gun, it blows up fleets and stuff, but there's really no reason for it to use that kind of firepower against fighters, not to mention it would probably kill itself in the process. (Besides, wasn't it in drydock or something?)

I guess I'll kind of go against the majority opinion here.

Prophecy was a fantastic game...however, I did not like the reduction in storyline from WC 3/4 (i.e. making conversation decisions and being able to select loadouts). WC3 especially felt more engaging to me.

Stop whining and go buy it, it's definitely the most fun WC game to play. :)

Gameplay is amazingly fun, the story and overall feel of the thing is pretty cool, ship design is cool, the characters are pretty cool, it's an amazing game. I actually like Prophecy a lot more than WC3 or 4, space hero Blair exploding planets all over the place and saving the universe from space-Nazis is good fun and all, but I just love the main character being some fairly random, insignificant new guy just doing his part to win the war again.

What I was fairly disappointed with the first time I played was that parts of the game felt a bit empty, with lot of filler patrol missions and the like with few or no cutscenes between, but that really isn't a big problem.

The ship essentially is a huge gun, it blows up fleets and stuff, but there's really no reason for it to use that kind of firepower against fighters, not to mention it would probably kill itself in the process. (Besides, wasn't it in drydock or something?)
It was damaged by the cats before it killed them. Personally I think it was also getting refitted with a unfired plasma weapon as well, but it's never mentioned.

(i.e. making conversation decisions and being able to select loadouts).

Well, limiting things like loadouts, who you fly with and the like all make sense since you're a new pilot flying on active duty for the first time.

However, I kind of like the more laid back conversation cut-scenes in this. The whole "One man decides the fate of the galaxy with YES or NO" is pretty absurd in hindsight. Despite its entertaining story, theres no "shades of grey" or sense of "realism" when it comes to plot development. (I blame this more on the limiting game mechanics than the writing)

Agreed, you are only one person in a campaign.. But overdoing started when you ordered a complete Torpedo refit on your Sabre in WC2. That is when it gets personal.

Well, limiting things like loadouts, who you fly with and the like all make sense since you're a new pilot flying on active duty for the first time.

However, I kind of like the more laid back conversation cut-scenes in this. The whole "One man decides the fate of the galaxy with YES or NO" is pretty absurd in hindsight. Despite its entertaining story, theres no "shades of grey" or sense of "realism" when it comes to plot development. (I blame this more on the limiting game mechanics than the writing)

I'm not asking for 'galaxy deciding' conversation decisions, but I did like in WC3 how conversation decisions would help determine how you got along with your fellow soldiers. Simple things like that seemed lacking in Prophecy, even for a newbie pilot.

A newbie pilot who was just a "one hit wonder" what with the lack of continuation after that game.....who knows where casey is, lost somewhere in the galaxy....~~~

And to think another classic franchise from EA, ROAD RASH might be making a return in HD! but wing commander remains dormant....

I definatley enjoyed Prophecy. I enjoyed it a hell of a lot. At first the sheer number of fighters at one nav was daunting and scary, but I did find it soon became a bi tof a monotonous: Launch - Auto - Kill lots of bugs - Auto - Kill lots of bugs - Auto - Kill lots of bugs - Auto - Land.

I think it was about this time I flew over to the Freespace universe. I kinda prefer their way of making a mission unfold. This doesn't diminish my love for WC mind. WC1 is still a regular game I play.

...I did like in WC3 how conversation decisions would help determine how you got along with your fellow soldiers. Simple things like that seemed lacking in Prophecy, even for a newbie pilot.
You do, at least, have an opportunity to affect Dallas' morale. It's not much, but it shows that they did recognise the history of doing so in previous games.

You do, at least, have an opportunity to affect Dallas' morale. It's not much, but it shows that they did recognise the history of doing so in previous games.

Either I've forgotten how to do this (because its been a while since I played Prophect) or I never knew about it. How does one affect Dallas' morale?

Easy. Talk to him. Or don't talk to him. Up to you.
Hehe, "easy" isn't quite the way to put it. That's definitely the most obscure, impossible-to-use story branches in the entire series - who'd ever think that [/i]not[/i] watching a story movie was in fact a way of interacting with the story?

It's probably designed to reach for something that those games never made it to--a scenario where the characters were so realistic and the technology was so commonplace that you would actually decide not to start a movie because Dallas was just so annoying. (I bet there are lots of people who skipped particular WC1 conversations to avoid having to read Paladin's accent or somesuch... but in WCP a video scene was still too much of a reward)

I think the reality of it was that it only affected people with a particular play style. Believe it or not, there's a class of Wing Commander player who wants to get from mission to mission and skip the optional conversations.

The war with the Cats was already going on for decades, while the bugs just came marching in and you were put right in front of them, it is only logic that you have no info on them. :p

I agree with Mace, I mean in the beginning with the Kilrathi too I'm sure it's the same. It would only make sense, That you don't know much about anything at first contact. And who knows. 600 somethin years in the future and different races I'm sure would be able to translate other races languages fairly quickly. I mean, ever hear of artificial intelligence? I mean it's stuff you have to think about a lil. I mean, mean Kilrathi speak Kilrathi right? What is that? a bunch of grunts, moans, and meows, and roars? The Nephilim seem pretty advanced for being bugs n all.

Yeah, but ironically he will die the following mission, regardless of whether you "boosted" his morale or not... :(

Isn't it a few missions later?

Its ballparked. The result is the same, though. (Its also pretty obvious that Dallas is a "throwaway" character. He dies to show he was right and that theres a war coming.)

Back