Any truth to this?

One of my favourite games (which I'm not sure if anyone has every played or even heard of) was the SECOND Star Controller game.

For those not aware, it's a game where as humans, you got about two years to overcome an alien race (There's actually two...but there fighting each other and whoever wins...we lose) that is hell bent on eradicating EVERY race out there!

Along the way you can travel from thousands of different star systems...exploring strange new worlds...seeking out new life and new civili-

I'll shut up!

Anyways, I bought the game when I was was 12 and again when I was 20...and I was heartbroken when they released the third game...They just killed the franchise!

I'm still mad about it. But I remember reading about a possible forth game. Basically, what happened to it was what happened to the THIRD Privateer game: got scrapped it the development stage.

To make a long story short, I remember reading years ago about the forth game. Apparently it would have been little like Wing Commander! Even if the gameplay sucked, believe me, it would have been an improvement over the last game!

It sounded like it had a chance to be one of the better "Wing Commander like games".

But I read that years ago, and I'm starting to doubt some of the things I read (except here, of course).

But anyone here know if there is any truth to this? The problem was that the third game was made by a company called "Accolade" and then a new company came along to advance the story (Boy, could we here use that!) but did it the wrong way (We DON'T need that, but right now I'd settle for any new Wing Commander game). Still, a Wing Commander like game based on one of my favourite games ever...

My understanding is that it was still being developed by Accolade, with the playstation version being contracted out. It was supposed to be a more "action-oriented combat title" in the vein of x-wing and starfox and I suppose Wing Commander might as well be tossed in there for good measure once you mention those two. Apparently the prototype of the PSX port got leaked online a while back and can be played with a playstation emulator. THe game was something like 70% done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3NKQKreOMI

DAMN!

If what happened @ 0:43 to 1:00 is any indication...THAT'S an IMPROVEMENT...

This makes me sad...another one to file under "What might have been"...right under Privateer 3.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ - pc port of the 3do version of starcon2

There is the possibility that Toy's for Bob's (the original company who made sc1 and 2 ) next game but one might be a star con one. (see their official site - the news from jan 14th)

sc3 was weak compared to sc2 but isnt as bad as people claim. its more linear and the story is a bit wierd but thats not the end of the world.

4th one looks like a wierd freespace port onto the psx - not sure thats a great thing.

Ah, a fellow StarControl geek huh? Well you could probably see my fan respect in yon signature. Anyway, the so called "StarCon" was canceled almost half-way in development. I beleive whats left of it can be downloaded at the StarControl website (say hi to Nuclear while your there! :)) StarControl 3 was OK but still a decent game, it wasen't completely Horrible (loved the new races) . I think TFB is having a petition for a true sequel to StarCon 2. Also, Im sure you heard of The Ur-Quan Masters remake...

Star Control 3 was probably my favorite game for a while when I was a kid. Then again I was always a pretty big fan of Accolade when I was younger, I remember playing as the Tarth or the Maug in the original Deadlock constantly.

Back