Antimatter Weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
I don't know how antimatter warheads work in WC, or if that's been laid down in any WC media.
What I'm wondering is if there is any residual radiation left after such a strike, or would there be?
Additionally, if a molecule of antimatter impacts say a basketball would it destroy the entire basketball or simply a single molecule of rubber?

There should be tracable residues, for plot purposes.

Confed Navy Captain: "What happened here?"

Confed Navy Lt. "Sir, I have found tracable residues of anti-matter weapons!"

Confed Navy Captain: "Wow, that's bad. Confed SF Colonel, send some fighters to investigate."

Confed SF Colonel: "Yes, sire, and I'll take Lt. Player Character with me, and even thought I outrank him, this is his very first mission and I apparently didn't like him, he will lead."

If you're into physics -

When an antimatter atom and regular matter atom collide, they annihilate each other. In the end, you get radiation (energy) as the outcome. Thus, a nice high-energy form of energy storage. Which also happens to have extermely damaging effects on regular matter, as well (and it's also impossible to store antimatter as atoms...).

So yes, you'd get radiation at the product (capture it for energy to get your antimatter engines). And one atom will annihilate one atom. Which sounds limiting, but all you have to do is destroy a critical part of a ship (say, a nice load-bearing beam) and the rest of the ship would fall apart, even though you didn't really destroy a whole lot.

Originally posted by Worf
If you're into physics -
When an antimatter atom and regular matter atom collide, they annihilate each other. In the end, you get radiation (energy) as the outcome.
So yes, you'd get radiation at the product (capture it for energy to get your antimatter engines). And one atom will annihilate one atom. Which sounds limiting, but all you have to do is destroy a critical part of a ship (say, a nice load-bearing beam) and the rest of the ship would fall apart, even though you didn't really destroy a whole lot.
Dont forget that you don't just get a bit energy from the anihilation of the two atoms either. That is a shitload much of energy. The energy alone that is caused by a basketball sized anti-matter heap should easily destroy the capship I'd think.

That depends on how well defended the capship is. After all, who knows how powerful the phase shields are and stuff.

Well one hundred grams of antimatter would produce a blast larger than that of the biggest nuke that mankind has built up to the present time. Antimatter releases about four hundred times as much energy as nuclear fusion.

As for torpedoes and phase shields, I think it has been accepted in the online community that torpedoes BYPASS the shields and strike the armor underneath. That's why they take so long to lock on--the bomber's computers are computing the patterns in the enemy ship's shields.

Yes, but we were talking about anti-matter weapons on WC. WC doesn't have anti-matter torpedos (or does it?), but anti-matter energy guns (or not).

Energy guns, canon-wise, do not bypass shields, so it matters. In the game engine, they might, but that's not the issue.

MOO2 had anti-matter torpedoes. ST too, I think. And you could overload them. But that's not important here.

Anyway, WC ships use a matter/anti-matter engine for propulsion.

uhh re-read Janes from WC2, it says the AMGs bypass phase shields.

also torpedoes are antimatter weapons last time i checked.

the cats used antimatter warheads in the bombardment of earth

Depends on the type of torpedo -- some have anti-matter warheads (most of those we use in war-era games) and some have standard fusion warheads (the type in WCIV, for instance).

Well, I understand how radiation works. After a nuclear blast the destruction of an atom releases the neutrons that orbit the atom's core. These free neutrons are the damaging elements of radiation. They fly around and knock bits of your cells' DNA off, and that's why you get cancer from radiation (The cell mutates because of the missing fragment). Now if you get a high enough dose of radiation the damage comes a lot quicker and more gooey. I may have my terminology and PBS wrong but that's how I remember it.
Now if an Antimatter atom comes in contact with a regular atom the two elements destroy each other. So wouldn't the little orbity things destroy each other as well? Hence no radiation?

Originally posted by Shaggy
Now if an Antimatter atom comes in contact with a regular atom the two elements destroy each other. So wouldn't the little orbity things destroy each other as well? Hence no radiation?

Well in this universe nothig can just vanish.
Ever heared of E=mc^2 ?
So if the matter vanishes (by getting hit with anti-matter) it has to have something remaining. Energy. A whole lot of energy. A really extremely whole lot of it ;)

Originally posted by Shaggy
Well, I understand how radiation works. After a nuclear blast the destruction of an atom releases the neutrons that orbit the atom's core. These free neutrons are the damaging elements of radiation. They fly around and knock bits of your cells' DNA off, and that's why you get cancer from radiation (The cell mutates because of the missing fragment). Now if you get a high enough dose of radiation the damage comes a lot quicker and more gooey. I may have my terminology and PBS wrong but that's how I remember it.

Actually, there are five types of radiation created by a nuclear reaction. They are:

1) Neutrinos: these particles ordinarily pass right through even the densest matter without hitting anything--your own body has billions of them passing through it every second you are alive, and only about once a month does a neutrino actually interact with another particle in your body. Thus, neutrino radiation is not only harmless, but also nearly undetectable.

2) Neutrons: this is the scary one. Neutrons with moderate energy tend to fuse with the nuclei in the atoms of your cells, which results in either a transmutation of the atom into a different element, thus totally screwing up the molecule it is in, or else the atom becomes a heavy isotope that will eventually spontaneously fission and release secondary radiation inside your body. Neutron radiation results in the aforementioned DNA mutation.

3) Alpha particles: These are protons or atomic nuclei that have been stripped of their electrons. When they meet solid matter, they tend to grab electrons from it and be "captured" by the material, so a barrier as thin as a few sheets of tinfoil is sufficient to block them. In fact, alpha particles usually will not even penetrate all the way through unprotected human skin.

4) Beta particles: these are loose electrons. They tend to be more energetic than alpha particles, but they can still be blocked by a thin, dense barrier (unless they are super-high energy such as cosmic rays).

5) Gamma radiation: This is basically high energy photons--pure electromagnetic energy. Gamma rays easily penetrate even meter-thick layers of solid lead since they are so energetic. The danger from them is because they can easily ionize atoms--if an electron in one of the atoms of your cells is struck by a gamma ray, then it becomes energized and will often latch onto a different atom. Thus, gamma radiation plays havoc with the chemical bonds in an organism.

A pure matter-antimatter reaction produces only Gamma radiation, but it produces more than four hundred times as much of it as a nuclear reaction using the same mass of fuel.

Originally posted by Ijuin

Gamma radiation: This is basically high energy photons--pure electromagnetic energy. Gamma rays easily penetrate even meter-thick layers of solid lead since they are so energetic. The danger from them is because they can easily ionize atoms--if an electron in one of the atoms of your cells is struck by a gamma ray, then it becomes energized and will often latch onto a different atom. Thus, gamma radiation plays havoc with the chemical bonds in an organism.

Hulk

Actually, there are five types of radiation created by a nuclear reaction. They are . . .
Very infomative Ijuin, picked up some stuff I didn't know :)

C-ya

A pure matter-antimatter reaction produces only Gamma radiation, but it produces more than four hundred times as much of it as a nuclear reaction using the same mass of fuel.
Ahh, now this is what I was looking for!:D The information I picked up was from a PBS show that was talking about dirty bombs, so they were dealing with materials that were already highly radioactive.
Thanks Ijuin!:cool:

hey guys do u any of u think that there is a such thing called Gravition particles??? if u do do u think we could use those to open up 2 points in space and use the particles to create a safe passage????????

I think they've proven that gravitons do exist and are generated in wave, which is how we have gravity. But I could be wrong

We have? All I know is that gravity is the natural attraction between masses. I've never heard of it detected as radiation or whatever. (Which actually sounds contradictory.)

Originally posted by Wedge009
We have? All I know is that gravity is the natural attraction between masses. I've never heard of it detected as radiation or whatever. (Which actually sounds contradictory.)

That's the Newtonian model.

Which, however, has a problem. If I put some measuring equipment someplace, then move a mass about to measure its effect on my measuring equipment, does it register immediately, or does it take a while to propagate?

If gravity is the attraction of two masses together, then when I move one mass, the other should notice immediately. But experiements done disprove this - the information that I've moved the mass would only be noticed after it has propagated. (Think of it this way: we have a very massive object known as the Sun - if it were to suddenly blink out of existence, we'd know when the light it gives disappears ~8 minutes after it disappeared. When it disappears though, its gravity effects won't be felt immediately, but at the same time it disappears).

BTW, General Relativity has it that gravity is not natural attraction, but the warping of space-time to create its effects. (Look up "light lensing" for more details - light is bent when it travels around planets and such, which happens when space-time is warped).

Of course, though, gravitons come from string theory in the effort to unite quantum mechanics and relativity...

Deep physics discussions aren't healthy for me. :)

But yeah, I'm actually familiar with the space-time warping and galaxy lensing effects.

I just don't think of gravity as an actual energy which we can produce. I'll leave that stuff to future science / science-fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back