another Help thread (WC3)

Kinnison

Spaceman
I have Win98, and I am feelign kind of nastolgic for the old WC games.

I tried installing WC3, and got to the DOS screen after i do all the Sound card vid card set up. WHen i try to launch the game in MS-DOS it locks up.. and says it cannot find the CD Rom

What is the easiest way to get it runnign on Win98?

WC3 should work fine in a Windows DOS box. Just go to the command prompt and run WC3 from there.

Where did you install WC3 in the Windows DOS box, a Windows "Restart in MS-DOS" boot, or from a pure DOS boot?

Here's what I did:

Boot into Win98, then quit to DOS. Install WC3 under DOS, configure the sdcard/etc. Then, whenever you wanna play WC3, quit to DOS again, fire up the game, and yer good to go.

Keep in mind, you hafta make sure your AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS have the appropriate lines referring to the CD drive (and soundcard), so DOS'll recognize 'em--and do this BEFORE attempting to install the game. One more thing--B4 you start, you should probably make sure your sdcard will support DOS also, whether in "DOS mode" or DOS box under Win98 (or both).

You may be able to configure a W98 shortcut to the game, one that either will automatically drop you into DOS ("DOS mode"), or else one that'll run it in a fullscreen DOS session. I've done it either way, with varying success depending on the system I'm using at the time. You should find that one of these ways will work for you. Any prob's, lemme know--I'll be glad to help any way I can :)

Originally posted by Mav23

Well try telling that to my WindowsME :p

Hah! The dreaded "ME" rears its butt-ugly head again. You may well be S.O.L., my man... Unless you wanna get rid of it & replace it with the more serviceable W98...

ooops

Well, it looks like my Autoexec.bat and Config.sys are empty. well, nearly empty

Is that right? I never liked Winblows, and I really only have experaince with Win 3.1.1 and DOS

Well, i did a re-boot into MS-DOS, and it coudl not find the CD-ROM drive (should be drive E, since D is the 2nd hard drive) Then i tired using the MS-DOS program, and it locked up when it was testing the VId card speed (I havea VooDoo 4 PCI)

Now it seems to be a Software issue.... some more help please?

When you reboot your computer, insert the setup boot disk. The boot options will pop up and you can tell it to start with CDROM support. DOS, I mean

Back