Another good review of Wing Commander

Dark Tower

Rear Admiral
The Scifi chanel has a review up about the movie which overall say's it's a good flic a rarity amoung critics. Just search on the site to find it.

Also they have this interesting quote on WC:p

"The game also emphasizes and glorifies drinking, a questionable ingredient for a product aimed at teenagers."

Now unless the boom-boom bit is what there on about what are they on about???
:confused:

Maybe the Finley-scene (where Casey puts her glass away and asks her how she can drink so much).
Or the Maniac-scene ( where Casey gets the Confed Flying Cross and Maniac invites him before to drink one with him to celebrate he gave up being squad-Commander).
Or the harmless scene after Casey went out with Blair and came alone back. After that Maestro.. invites them all to drink.
Or...at least the scene in which Maestro gives Maniac the bottle and says that he'd pay it.

I don't know. For me the scenes were absolutely not emphasizing drinking. And I don't understand why Prophecy is now a game for youths. It was as much made for adults in my eyes. But okay. *g* If they mean.
Many things are seen 'difficult' today. I don't think that there's a connection betwen a PC game and kids drinking alcohol. Maybe they searched for a reason to write bad things about the game.
Or they really believed in what they wrote.

So they are hotshots space pilots who risk they life every day and after that they have a little drink. So WHAT ? In every WC game alcohol is present, 'cause that's what pilots do. They kill someone and the they celebrate. And where the hell do they want the cut scenes to take place? In the ship's chapel ?

Seems like everything these days is made for kids or teens, when it's really not. If a teen might have access to it, it automatically becomes targetted towards teens. That's how it seems noadays anyway.

Yeah but in 90 percent of the cutscenes in the rec room have the pilots drinking. They are always drinking.

If I came off of a patrol and had at least a kill on me (or just had a harrowing near-death experiece), I'd drink to the dead, the ammount depending on the mission.

Kill,kill,kill,kill,drink,kill,kill,kill,kill,kill,drink.

I don't know, it sounds like a perfectly normal life to me :rolleyes: .
Not all the wing commanders if any actually had teens as the target, after all the main target for computer games is 30-40 year olds or so isn't it? Not to mention wcIV was rated M.

Does anyone else think it's hilarious that the part considered inappropriate for a young audience is the drinking?

I really don;t think that anyone ever really is made more violent from playing a violent game or wants to drink more after watching some pilots in a game drink. Hell every teenager I know (which is everybody I know practically) drinks, most of the people who don't even know what a joystick is drink the heaviest. And what is the big deal. I want to have a few drinks with a friend, who am I hurting?

Also while I am a teen I must say that all WC games are quite a bit more mature than most of the other teens I know would enjoy, so I must say it is targeted towards 20+ people, though some teens do enjoy it. Actually WCP i think was targeted at all those people who in 1991 bought the original and were amazed.

Originally posted by Supdon3
Yeah but in 90 percent of the cutscenes in the rec room have the pilots drinking. They are always drinking.

DRINKING?!?!??!

IN THE BAR?!?!?!?!?

WE MUST PROTECT TODAY'S YOUTH.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

DRINKING?!?!??!

IN THE BAR?!?!?!?!?

WE MUST PROTECT TODAY'S YOUTH.
I was just saying they ARE always drinking. I dont see a diatribe following it on how media influence our youth and something as simple as watching people drink will lead to a massive epidemic that will destroy civiliation as we will all grow up to be come self loathing alcholics with no ambition beyond finding out where our next drink will come from all because we saw it in a computer game where other elements like being heroic fighter pilots might instead be a stronger pull because they look to have an exciting job that is always keepin them on their toes and provides a massive rush from a combination of the speeds being traveled and the chances they take with their lives because not only do they risk their lives in combat with the enemy but just flying is a dangerous thing considering in our navy, one out of every four pilots will die which would make it seem that a bigger outcry should be made over the fact that being a fighter pilot is dangerous and a game like WC could possibly make people want to go and be fighter pilots but then youd also have to contend with the people that would encourage such behavior because its both patriotic and an honor to be chosen because you have to meet so many requirements to actually qualify that most people would only get that fix from playing games like Wing Commander.

But of course saying something like that would have been stupid.

Out of all those missions where you have quite a few drinks before a mission, and there's only one where it ever affects your flight performance. Danm, wish I could do that.

I defintely don't hold it for animating youths to drink.
Like Napoeon said...most drink anyways. And at least there are really better things to care about than pilots drinking in a bar, after a flight.*g*
It makes the things more realistic. I'd also need a drink after such a flight. Maybe even 2 (and I really don't drink a lot. I can count the days I drink alcohol in one year at one hand).
But okay....if they mean. They only see it from the annyoing s'ave youths of the bad world-sight. '
But it is good somehow anyways. I really usually did the things my parents forbid me or which were definitely not respected. Out of defience. ;)
And there are some young people thinking like me.

Take as example Half-Life (if I may make that comparision now). In Germany the US version with shooting on humans is forbidden. Instead we have a version with robots. Terrible. For me and for 70 percent of the people only the US version is interesting, because it is not allowed. So many Internet shops make lots of money offering to send the US version.

Fishbone, back when Wolfenstein was released, the law only covered that it was illegal to have things related to the Nazis in certain forms. (Basically, it covered Wolf). Hence, Wolf couldn't be released in Germany.

Many countries require games to have things like green or non-red colored blood. Just little things like that.

Is it just illegal to sell the game there, not illegal to import it?

Or are the laws a bit like the US has with Cuban cigars :) Illegal to import them, but once they're in the country, they're perfectly legal.

I just brought it as exapmple, to show that forbidden things...are even very interesting for people.
But okay... it is indeed illegal to sell the game. In current game shops. It is not illegal to import it. If it was those Internet-shops could not sell it. But I'd not tell anyone I have it. If police would see it (for example if they search for illegal copys of PC games and such stuff)...it'd be bad to have it anyways. They'd would only ask how old I am. Not adult...so it would be bad. What they'd do I don't know...*g*
But if I were adult..it'd be okay. Then I could have bought it in the USA or so. It is only a problem with the youths.
They may not own it, because it could make them become violent rebels (or whatever fear such people have).

I also heard that Carmaggedon's pedestrians were replaced by aliens in the German version, and that GTA was purely ans simply forbidden...

God I love those games... :D

Back