Another damn Wing Commander IV DVD question

zzzarkt

Spaceman
Ok, got the WC IV DVD, got the latest files (dxmci12 version 1.2) from gulikoza (thanks by the way), it says in the readme file that I need to "set the executable to run in Windows 95/98 Mode" How/where do I do this? I am having the same kind of trouble so many others have had, where the movie audio will play, after an choice is made, but the video will not play. The flying part works but its that same video issue again. I've tried to find the solution by searching, but no luck. Sorry that this is probably the 1,000 time this has been asked. By the way I'm running WINME (God help me).

Any help would be appreciated, I've only played WC IV on the playstation, so I'm missing quite a lot.

Well, no wonder that you can't find the compatibility options, since ME doesn't have them...as far as I know, the patch has only be designed to work under XP, or did I get something wrong?

If I remember right, gulikoza tested his patch under Win Me himself as well, and it crashed (can't tell for sure, currently too lazy to re-read the whole thread again ;) )
It's only reported to run under XP, 2k and 98 yet, I think.
So if gulikoza did not find a fix for Me yet, your only option is to get an Mpeg2 DXR2/3 and use that one.
Best is to wait till gulikoza posts here himself, if you don't want to spend more money ;)

Thanks WUQKED, I'm not relly knowlegeable about comupter hardware, what is a Mpeg2 DXR2/3? Is it an older video card needed to play the DVD? Any info would help, I really don't have a clue here. One last thing,.. ahem....

gulikoza!!!, HHHHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

please?

So I'm proboably better off just getting the CD version of the game, will that at least work on my system?

If you want to be sure you have a working version - yup. The (double sided) DVD version has always been a source of problems, even with the proper hardware.
You could of course also try a different kind of windows.

Back