Another classic gaming Franchise getting the Deluxe treatment

Who needs Civilization when you have MOO?

I pretty much despise Civ. Way too much micromanagement, especially in the late game where the game becomes too bogged down to be fun. Also, you're paying $70 for what's essentially a whole bunch of versions of the same game with the same gameplay throughout, whats the point?

hurleybird said:
Also, you're paying $70 for what's essentially a whole bunch of versions of the same game with the same gameplay throughout, whats the point?

You might not be a fan of it, but apparently there were enough people who were to justify all those same games being remade to begin with. It's not something I'm interested, but it looks like a really great pack for Civilization fans. The people who are going to be most interested in this are people who already own all the Civilization games already anyway. Who here wouldn't kill for a $70 official box set of WC games that also came with a complete card game, history book and DVD movie about the series?

hurleybird said:
Who needs Civilization when you have MOO?

I pretty much despise Civ. Way too much micromanagement, especially in the late game where the game becomes too bogged down to be fun. Also, you're paying $70 for what's essentially a whole bunch of versions of the same game with the same gameplay throughout, whats the point?

My brother still plays Civ2. (though now he plays civ4 more) He'll play for hours on end even.

I continue to prefer the original Civilization. (... which would be the perfect DS game, if anyone who develops handheld ports of things is listening...)

Originally Posted by AD
My brother still plays Civ2. (though now he plays civ4 more) He'll play for hours on end even.

I, too, know several people who still play Civ2. A friend of mine from High School has played Civ 2 consistently since it was originally released. He just stuck with Civ 2 instead of buying Civ 3, and he only very recently purchased Civ IV.

Personally, I prefer Civ III and Civ IV over the earlier games. Maybe I was just bad at them, but it honestly didn't seem like playing a "peaceful" Democracy loving civ was a very viable option. The democratic governments were just so unstable, especially if you ever had to go to war...

I like the new CIV games, but somehow the pace seems all wrong after Civ II. Civ III fast forwards over antiquity, and Civ IV seems like a Space Race from the Stone Age. I start the game thinking how I'm going to build a rocket ship early on. Conquest victories, that were common on the first two, seem much harder to get later on.

Civ2 is really great. Protip: race to get Invention and the Leonardo's Workshop. Best wonder ever in all games.

I probably spent more time playing the 4 civs than with any other game series.

Bandit LOAF said:
I continue to prefer the original Civilization. (... which would be the perfect DS game, if anyone who develops handheld ports of things is listening...)
Agreed. Good thing is that Settlers 2 is blazing that trail.

Edfilho said:
Civ2 is really great. Protip: race to get Invention and the Leonardo's Workshop.

Really? My friends and I went for other inventions instead of Leonardo's Workshop.

I have great memories of playing Civ2 on a LAN in my friend's basement. I think we spent an entire summer playing only two games of it. I'm actually terrible at it, never got into the swing of it like some, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

My friend Dave flunked out of UCONN because all he did was play Civilization.

I'm not sure about Multi Player, because I never played in that mode, but Leonardo's Workship is fantastic for Single Player. Specially if you have a huge outdated army - which was often the case with me.

yeah, Leonardo's Workshop is ridiculously overpowered because it automatically upgrades all your units for free whenever you get new techs. So you will ALWAYS have a spanking brand new army... sometimes you'll have the same units guarding your cities for the duration of a game, Leonardo's will upgrade them from spearmen to mech. inf... Same thing goes for horsemen to tanks.

it was so powerful that it never appeared on any other Civs after 2 :)

No, Leonardo's Workshop appeared in Civilization 3, but instead of making upgrades free, it let you upgrade at half price (you could upgrade your units by paying money even if you didn't have the Workshop).

Actually, Civ2's Leonardo's Workshop is far from overpowered; in fact expert players rarely bother with it, whether they are attempting early conquest or an early space victory. If one were playing for points or a "builder"-style game, the Workshop might be valuable--but more for the fact that it would upgrade your settler workforce to Engineers.

For conquest players, how upgrading a massive army of anicent units into a massive army of modern units for free is not overpowered? Upgrades are very expensive on Civ.

Back