Announcing Wing Commander Pioneer (August 11, 2005)

I know you love WC, but Has it occured to you that your love for it has perhaps blinded you to the possiblility that it all might not fit together in any meaningful way? That the movie - all of it, the Pilgrim war, the art design, the change in timeline and names/ranks/positions/backgrounds from what had already been established - might be a separate entity? Is that a possibility? I think it is.

Has it *occured* to me? It's been the subject of a thousand debates here already. We've established over and over both where and why the movie is different, where and why it's the same and how it's no more different than any other extension of the universe.

The people who made the movie certainly regarded it as the same universe. You've got the novel that references the games on pretty much every page... you've got the movie itself that refers to things like Claw Marks over and over... it even has a "manual" (The Confederation Handbook) done by the same guy who did the manuals for the games. It's written and directed by the same guy everyone idolizes for the games - it's not a secret separate continuity. Unlike a comic book, the Wing Commander movie was an attempt to sell to the same Hollywood audience that they tried to attract to Wing Commander IV (which unlike the movie actually had trailers in movie theaters...).

We're trying to recapture the art and feel of the ORIGINAL game. The one that started it all, and that we all remember so fondly.

While I'm really not commenting on art style at all (in any of this), I can't help but reply to this: what could be more in keeping with the style of the original game than taking a spaceship design from an obscure Sci Fi movie?

I'm not trying to tell you what your ships should look like, but I think it's important that we've gotten how this project will actually treat the continuity out in the open.

Thanks Cam! We hope to have some more content ready to post up before to long, we're working on finalizing the last couple of ships, and then we'll be starting work on bases. As soon as we have something definate in that department to show, we'll post it up for you all!

We appreciate the support greatly, and still need names for those few ships listed. Sylvester has alredy done a great job of helping out there, but we could use more.

Okay, then. Like I said - I don't want to argue with you on this. Let's move on.
That said... Errant = Out...
Final word on this.

Cam - thanks! IIt'll be a couple of months till we've got the gameplay and mechanics in place. They're all created, and all down on paper - but when we do, you'll be first on the list.

I didn't say anything about the Errant - we were talking about movie continuity. You made some crazy claims about Batman...

Are you guys in need of a writer? I could do technical specs for fighters and spacecraft, mission briefings, fiction (if you have any). I could also do bug testing and feedback for any beta versions.

Brad is the lead designer - You should check in with him if you have any script/mission/story ideas.

In other news - Got the Corsair's new paintjob done - and added the quad laser cannons!
Aggressive!

Corsairnew1.jpg

Corsairnew2.jpg

Corsairnew3.jpg

Enjoy.

Howard Day said:
As for the explosions, they can be set to play however fast we want them to. These are just examples. I personally like longer more dramatic explosions - for the sheer fact that I'm a pyromaniac.

Ok, neat! How does it work for scaling them in 3d though? What happens when you are circling an exploding object?

Those new renders rock! I think you guys mentioned being able to interchange any of your items with new ones ala Privateer. Therefore, I am assuming laser cannons will have a standard model, mass drivers another, etc., etc.?

Will players be able to interchange non-weapon items such as sensor suites, cargo pods, thrusters, etc? Eg. an engine upgrade gives you a different engine glow or afterburner arrangement (swapped texture)?

Finished the Scimitar model last night...
Scimitarnew1.jpg

Scimitarnew2.jpg

Scimitarnew3.jpg

We're also going to need the color scheme for the Landriech's version of the ISS. Anyone have any ideas?

Enjoy.

BradMick said:
I'm going to have to please request that this be taken to another thread. We'd rather not see the thread populated with back and forths, and more focus on the topic at hand.

If Edx comes back with some kind of reasonable reply I'll do that. If he doesn't, I'll ban him. Either way it'll be over.

To the best of my knowledge the only reference we have for the Landriech colors is the Stealth Black scheme they wear when they come to the rescue at the Battle of Earth. The reason we changed it should be obvious - the original scheme was rather dull and had almost no contrast. Therefore, the ships looked bland and uninteresting. So we thought to ourselves - is there any reason that the Fleet wouldn't change it's colors? Look at the changes that the Confed colors went through in just a few short decades. Everything from the Green/Light gray of the WC1 era to the Flat Gray/Blue Stripes of the Privateer era. It's not, then, unreasonable to assume that a different color scheme would be acceptable. We then took that reasoning and used it to improve the look of the ships that we had had complaints about. See? Nothing about "sexy" in there - just responding to comments from the community - like we said we were going to do from the beginning.

Now, I admit to not having the bredth of knowledge of detail you, Chris and Brad possess, but that's the reasoning I was working off of. Now if you have a better reference, please present it - and the changes will be made immediately. If there's not, then it'll probably stay as-is.

Thanks.
Howard

For all you who don't know, I'm the lucky SOB writing the basic plotline for Pioneer and as now an official member of the development team, I want to say something. Aren't we arguing over the wrong thing here? We're going on about ship paintschemes and whether everything in Wing Commander one was curvy or straight or whatever. My answer to this is who gives a damn? We should be focusing on storyline and major content development, these other things are just gravy if we don't have a good script.

Huh. Excellent point. I shall change the maps pronto. Once I get home from work. I'm edging in on a 14 hour day today, and that makes be a bit....tired. Anyhow - It's still a good idea.
Anyone else got any thoughts on a ISS equivelent colorscheme?

Back