Animate-able 3D Kilrathi "person"

lorddarthvik

Spaceman
Hi everyone

I'v been around doing some silly arts like a 3d Volvo s60 that I wanted to make NBlack Lance themed and such, but I really had no will to do it. I wanted to make something that lives! So, i thought, why not make a Kilrathi? :) I will use 3dStudio Max 5. I never modelled a full character before, so, this will be a hard task. The reason why I'm posting here before i could show you some progress is, that i would like to ask you a very important thing if you are interested: Could you please post/direct me to as much reference images as possible? I got problems running WC1-4 on this machine, so i can't capture scenes :( I got the box cover of WC3 to start with, plus the pictures i can find on CIC from WC2 for example.

first pic: after roughly half an hour, made from a box. I decided to go with the WC2 style ears and main shape will be a mix of WC3 and 2. For this time,i'm only trieing tomake something that looks more like a cat, rather then human, and find the correct proportion of the face.

Attachments

• kil1.jpg
    kil1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 80
update2: just added some things, moved some vertics, and added some boxes to see hair distribution plan:

Attachments

• kil2.jpg
    kil2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 78
Very good work! Do you plan on modelling the whole body or just the head?
As for reference, each installment of WC seems to have a different vision of what the kilrathi look like. If you search through the past CIC news archives you'll be able to find some of the different examples, I believe there was a poll going on at one time about it.

Nice! I actually tried myself to create a Kilrathi model myself, but my attempts sucked too much.Are you planning to make animation with it too?

I ever thought I must do it self, but now, a little dream seems to fulfill! Excelsior! Imperius Rex!!! Hm, I hate to criticise your work, but this is only of subjective taste: I miss a little more cat physiognomy. A little bit longer or pounted snout. The face appears too humanly to me. Some face folds are too apelike... and the forehead should have an other shape - broader.

But good work indeed. It would be go through at least as Suthay-Raht Khajiit. :)

Attachments

• so.gif
    so.gif
    64 KB · Views: 150
Looking good so far, lorddarthvik!

lorddarthvik said:
...Could you please post/direct me to as much reference images as possible?
Here's one from the WC Movie:

Here's one from the WC3 Trailer (VHS Version encoded by Tolwyn):

I've made a zip archive (1.12MB) of 18 Kilrathi images, mostly from the above WC3 trailer, you can download it here (right-click).

Hope they help with the modelling.

Cheers,

BrynS

The only thing I thought it might need is to make the snout a little longer. In the original concept designs of Kilrathi, the snout was long and flat. If you'll look at the WC3 picture of thrakhath provided in the previous post, you'll see they kinda stuck to the longer, flattened snout (the fur on those puppets made it a little hard to tell).

But, aside from that suggestion, very good work!

I was just thinking the other day about the great dearth of Kilrathi models. Good job.

i would add this black thing that you have on the upper lip to the nose as well. Like it's on the wc3 image of the kilrathi prince. Other than that, i think the face of the model is pretty much done. Just needs the right skinning and maping ;)

Mh, now I recall it, the head actually reminds me on the Hulines of Lands of Lore (which are definitely to humanly)! My attachments should only underline what I meant in my last post.

Thanks for all your help & critics! Your right about the snout and teh eyes will be changed of cours. I'm planning on makeing a full body too, and will rig it, if i can :D

another 30 mins work: i tried to make the changes you said i should do. Whadda you think ? :D Hair is still just optional, but i'll make it this way (plane with opacity map).

Attachments

• Kilr03.jpg
    Kilr03.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 130
i like :) coming along very nicely.

what package are you using? might look into using whatever it's native hair plug-in is if its got one. my only suggestion. great work!

Brad Mick

IM useing max5, no hair plugin came with it i think :( I tried Ornatrix hair, but i'll have to chnge some things cause it simply crashes whenever i push render :(

hmmm....strange. still looks pretty great there bud :)

oh! maybe try using spline curves for hair? i'd think you might be able to do it. like, create a single spline (and then put a bone on it) and instance the rest of them. that way when it comes time to animate, you can use the bone to manipulate the splines, and get wavy hair. just a thought. :) really look forward to the rest of him. oh, and the only other thing i noticed on closer inspection is the brow extends to far, and floats.

Brad Mick

Have you ever tried it with splines? :D And your machine didn't blow up strugling??? :D LoL I tried with splines, and yes, with bones it makes great hair, but not on a home computer like mine :) It ates more memory then one could imagine :(

Sorry my language knowladge, but what's a "brow" ?

Back