and, and...in SQ

How about... a PC! ;)

I haven't played WC on anything other than a PC, but I think there's just too many controls for it to be playable on a console. I know people who have only played it on consoles will argue against this, but I don't feel like memorising all those key combinations for the numerous keyboard buttons, and simplifying the controls will just take away from the experience, IMHO. Just looking at the controls for the Playstation WC3 posted by LOAF for someone made me think it was almost not worth it.

Anyone who's played console versions of WC, feel free to tell me what you think of it.

BTW, why the callsign? Naughty rabbit?

Hey, I like my callsign...[pout]

I like the irony of it. There's something satisfying when, in a WC game, I look at the kill scores and see MANIAC:76 BUNNY:543. I think it's funny. Also, there are a whole slew of buttons on a controller these days(especially that of game cube). Business-wise, it's simple: As a game platform, PCs are to Consoles as Macs are to PCs. Compared to PCs, consoles have a HUGE user-base. Games that sell well don't sell in the tens of thousands of units. They sell in the tens of millions. Also, next-gen graphics are a lot easier to pull off on a GCN or X-Box than on a PC, because there aren't that many PC-owners who own GPUs capable of bump-mapping or per-pixel lighting. I love games on the PC, don't get me wrong. But I think it would be intelligent for Origin to widen the fan base. Consoles are twice as profitable as they were in the days of the SNES and PSone. Of course, any WC game that was released on a console(especially Xbox, with it's Microsoft support) could be easily brought over to the PC, and vise-versa.

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
...I look at the kill scores and see MANIAC:76 BUNNY:543. I think it's funny.
Funny, yes, but I don't think bunny works well with me. Still, if the mighty Blair calls himself an Earthworm... :)

Also, there are a whole slew of buttons on a controller these days (especially that of Game Cube).
I'm all for the Game Cube, but I thought that simplicity is the way these days, I think there's fewer buttons on the GCN controller than the N64. And even if there's more, buttons, that's just more combos and whatnot to memorise. I don't think it'd work for me.

They sell in the tens of millions.
I know that. I have quite a few of those millions. :)

But I think it would be intelligent for Origin to widen the fan base. Consoles are twice as profitable as they were in the days of the SNES and PSone.
I don't know about ways to widen the fan base, but it seems EA is more interested in profits than widening fan bases. Of course, I assume many (if not most or all) businesses are.

And I don't know much about profit margins, so I cannot comment on the claim that consoles are more profitable. (But $A650 for an X-Box! :eek: )

please refrain from continuing to pick on the bunny, Wedgy...
And $A650 isn't too much if you consider how much a GeForce 4 would cost you. Of course, I think Xbox is crap, but chacun son gout, I guess.

[sigh] Amiga...

...also, I'm a little biased because my first WC experience was on an Amiga. Never made the fluent transition to PCs. I own WCIII mac and PSX, not for my PC--and like with all games, the combos come naturally after the first or second mission. Still, I've never seen a console WC game equal to a PC(or Mac, or Amiga...) WC game. I just like consoles so much...

Re: Hey, I like my callsign...[pout]

Games that sell well don't sell in the tens of thousands of units. They sell in the tens of millions.

A computer game that sells tens of thousands isn't a good game at all...

TC

please refrain from continuing to pick on the bunny
Hey, I wasn't picking. I just asked why you called yourself so, and then commented that that callsign wouldn't go well with me. I never said or meant that it was 'bad' in any way...

PS2 should have enough punch to good grapics although Xbox does have it too and Xbox games can be modified to work in PC. I´m pretty shure that Xbox emulator will surface in matter of years.

Nope, not french, but...

Originally posted by Wedge009
Hey, I wasn't picking. I just asked why you called yourself so, and then commented that that callsign wouldn't go well with me. I never said or meant that it was 'bad' in any way...
Right. Sorry. I'm a bit oversensitive. No, I'm not French, but I've been at a billingual school for four years, and spent a lot of time in france, so it's kind of weasled it's way(as things french often do) into my subconscious. I have a column in my school's newspaper called "The Angry Bunny," which is just a rant column, and one of my french teachers(not a teacher of the subject "French," but a teacher who is french) said it was mechant, bad, naughty, inappropriate. And as I said, I've always used bunny as a callsign, so...
And about Xbox-- it's just looking for trouble. Pirates in the "emulation community" will have that thing hacked in a year or two, and may even get the games to run transparently on certain Windows boxes. Ouch.

And about Xbox-- it's just looking for trouble. Pirates in the "emulation community" will have that thing hacked in a year or two, and may even get the games to run transparently on certain Windows boxes. Ouch.

I don't see why they would bother. Xbox runs on directx basically, which means that the code is the same that would be used for windows. The only difference is the controls.

Beside if the game sells enough you can almost guarantee that the xbox games will show up on PC 6 months later and vice versa for pc game ( from microsoft atleast)

Re: Nope, not french, but...

Eheh no, I haven't played the GBC Keen game, but I have seen some screenshots LOAF posted on the CIC news... He bought the game and will be able to comment on it... :)

No, I'm not French, but I've been at a billingual school for four years, and spent a lot of time in france Ouch.
Really? Where particularly in France? I spent 10 years in Paris... :)

Wow, people who lived in France all love Keen. Freaky. (I lived in Aix en Provence).

GBC Keen isn't *as* great as the original because the level design is kinda bad (way too many places to fall to your death)... but other than that it's very cool.

(Of course, it's hard as hell to play on a GBA... but I installed one of those TV-out addons and enjoy playing Keen on TV <G>).

Re: Re: Nope, not french, but...

Originally posted by mpanty Eheh no, I haven't played the GBC Keen game, but I have seen some screenshots LOAF posted on the CIC news... He bought the game and will be able to comment on it... :) Really? Where particularly in France? I spent 10 years in Paris... :)
I never lived in france, just stayed there for extended periods of time. Some two-month long chunks, some three week long chunks. If I stay in paris I stay in this hostel near Rue St. Antoine. I saw Amelie in Paris... liked it better without the subtitles. Accumitively I've spent about three months in Paris, four weeks in Blois(on a road trip to provence), and backpacked around the area(sight seeing, eating white cherries..). I've also spent about a month accumitively in Angers(in two two-week chunks). Sadly I won't be going to France for a while, now that I'm graduating:-( LOAF: What do you use to connect your GBA to the TV(is it hard to install?) I also thought that Keen was a little too bright on GBC: losing some of his faded EGA goodness:)

Damn all you people and your foreign travels! :p Nah, I always wanted to travel through Europe, and even though I dislike the French (now THAT's a long story), I'd still love to go there. How was the billingual schools, BTW? Since I'm assuming you got to study things other than language, did you notice a great deal of differences in the attitudes about some things/subjects?

On the topic a little further down, it is true that the X-box's games will be on PC sooner or later, but since it also means PC games will be on the X-box, I think they have a relatively good exchange area there. (Since there are always some games on the PC that you just can't get on consoles, and vice versa.) Although I still hold to my theory that no matter how bad the X-box does, it'll end up being a competator just because Micrsoft won't let it fail. (I can't remember where, but I read an article that they were supposed to lose 10 billion dollars on this thing for the first 5 years or so, which they were fine with. The reason? They were supposed to make 11 billion the 6th year.)

Originally posted by Wedge009
I don't know about ways to widen the fan base, but it seems EA is more interested in profits than widening fan bases.

...Because EA's view, of course, is that "all your fan base are belong to us"... :D

**Ughh!**

Originally posted by Skyfire
...I'd still love to go there. How was the billingual schools, BTW? Since I'm assuming you got to study things other than language, did you notice a great deal of differences in the attitudes about some things/subjects?

I love talking about my school, but I'll make it short. In one week: Four periods for Math(I passed calc, elected not to take Calc II), four periods for French(I'm a third year-- the advanced French people just produced a fantastic L'Avare!), Eight periods for the Humanities, Two periods for art, two periods for chorus/all-school operetta(we're doing Pirates of Penzance), six hours required sports(but they consider Yoga and Theater sports in the winter)two periods for creative writing, six periods for science, and two periods for electives(I'm in the school's madrigals singing group, and I'm the art director for the school newspaper). We have 132 students from grades 6-12. I'm a senior. If you want to now more, e-mail me!(theangrybunny@yahoo.com). As for Xbox... Your muzehr waz a ahmpstehr, ant your fazehr smelled of eldehrbehriez! I don't like it, but that won't stop it from being succesful!

Re: Nope, not french, but...

I'm a bit oversensitive.
No problem, I can be like that too.

And about Xbox-- it's just looking for trouble. Pirates in the "emulation community" will have that thing hacked in a year...
I guess it's the same with all consoles, sooner or later, though I suppose with X-Box's Microsoft origins, the emulation will come much sooner.

I recently had the chance to compare the GCN controller with the X-Box's in the shops - and IMHO, the X-Box controller is very poorly designed.

Back