An Alliance so Jagged (or, Jagged Alliance)

overmortal

Bearded Person
Anyone ever played Jagged Alliance? As in, the first one. It's another of my favorite video games. That, plus Maniac Mansion, Super Metroid, Dirty Harry (for the old NES), and WORMS.

Ooh . . if any of you has Worms 2, I will officially challenge you into a match. You'll probably win, but it's fun all the same.

Oi, nutter!

-Nick Blitz

Jagged Alliance rules! JA2 was even better, but I haven't finished it since it is much bigger than the first one (once I regained about half of the map, I kept losing cities all the time and having to re-invade them... and hiring like 20 mercenaries to protect my cities drove me into the red after a while... cause the gold mines got depleted) Oh well.

My machine is too crappy to run JA2, although I've played it on other people's machines. Anyone want to fund getting me a new machine?

-Nick Blitz

Eder said:
. .. I kept losing cities all the time and having to re-invade them... and hiring like 20 mercenaries to protect my cities drove me into the red after a while... cause the gold mines got depleted) Oh well.
I thought I played a game demo called Jagged Alliance that was a RPG type game where you controlled a a single mercenary squad with different abilities. This one sounds like a Warcraft type game. I'm confused :(

C-ya

The premise behind Jagged Alliance is that you control a team of mercs. You hire them, guide them through combat, and pay them. They have different strengths and abilities. The game is laid out in sectors, and your objective is to eliminate the enemies from each sector. When a sector is clear, you can move on, and in JA 1, you can hire guards to keep it from being re-invaded (unless all of your guards get killed, which isn't uncommon). What happens most of the time is you'll be happily killing your way in one direction, and the enemy will attack sectors you've already completed from a different direction, and retake them. Then you have to go back and take that sector again (pain in the friggin butt).

Also, you run into stuff like merc who don't get along (Ivan and Reuben . . heh heh). And, after a while, your equipment begins to break down. Not fun. The things you do affect how your mercs will behave, and how the enemy will behave, and how your employers will pay you. It's all very interesting, and I thoroughly enjoyed JA 1. Now if only I could get JA 2 to run on my machine, I'd be much happier.

The greatest innovations in JA2 are the fact that there's a game clock... so instead of just ordering your mercs to a sector in the morning, then playing until the day ends, you can use the night to your advantage... the fact that sectors have specific bonuses to them (for instance, free a sector which has a hospital and you can heal your mercs there, capture a sam site to be able to drop your mercs off by helicopter in the surrounding sectors, etc) and the fact that all the stuff which was already in JA1 was improved. And the fact that there are NPCs wandering about which you can talk to and which might help you out.

JA2 is good. Played that up the wazoo. I even made a weapons mod for it, to make the guns true to their real life counterparts.

overmortal said:
. . . if I ever get my machine to run the game, I may ask you for that mod.

Considering the system requirements are very minimum, your computer must really really . . . suck . . .

200 megahertz, 2 gig harddrive, 49 meg ram. It's terribly old. That's the primary problem. It's old enough that the harddrive is corrupting, and, accordingly, I'm losing functionality every day. Too bad I'm losing my job, so that I can't buy a new one. Darned budget cutbacks.

Hmm, considering how I bought a used 1.4Ghz computer for only $350, there really is no excuse...

Back