American Politics debate continued from Best Real Life Quotes

Originally posted by LeHah
...Because we all know the WWE has such sway over international politics...

Being a big fan of the WWE I would say definently no on that one (I would have to say it has no effect at all on international politics and if it did we would all be in trouble because as much as I like Vince Mcmahon he's a nutcase.) But they do Like to capitalize on Current events. I know it definently had a lot of effect on the morale of The Usa Patriotism during the Gulf War when the Sgt. Slaughter (with Slaughter turning trader and supporting the Middle East) vs. Hulk Hogan (being viewed as a superhero and the prime example of what an american is made of and to destroy the evil traitor that was Slaughter. of course were not superheros and neither is Hogan) Angle. But it really raised support in the war effort on the Usa side of things atleast in all the wrestling fans eyes as the WWE was a really major thing back then. :)

I remember reading about that one. Sergeant Slaughter, can't remember his real name, was talking about it. He could have sworn blind that Adnan, who was meant to be Saddam Hussain, was the real deal when they brought him in. Slaughter had to plead that it was toned down, because he had been recieving death threats and the like. I am so glad they didn't do something similar with September 11th. Anyway, I wasn't thinking so much in tune with politics and such (might start back on that one tomorrow), but, I'm not sure whether you would have seen it, but the video Wrestling With Shadows had Canadian hero Bret Hart turn heel by being anti American. You could see the debate over the America and such in the video.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
I remember reading about that one. Sergeant Slaughter, can't remember his real name, was talking about it. He could have sworn blind that Adnan, who was meant to be Saddam Hussain, was the real deal when they brought him in. Slaughter had to plead that it was toned down, because he had been recieving death threats and the like. I am so glad they didn't do something similar with September 11th. Anyway, I wasn't thinking so much in tune with politics and such (might start back on that one tomorrow), but, I'm not sure whether you would have seen it, but the video Wrestling With Shadows had Canadian hero Bret Hart turn heel by being anti American. You could see the debate over the America and such in the video.

Yes thats true about Slaughter and It kind of sucked cause the man was even put in the G.I. Joe cartoon for being such a patriot. Which the man is regardless of angles.

I saw it on A&E. I also remember that angle and watch it live. The Hart Foundation were the Anti-Americans. I hated the Angle cause it could of hurt Brets career as well as his Very promising brother Owen Hart (R.I.P) I went to his tribute show after his death. I Though He was great and I loved one of the moves he used most often (not sure if it was his finisher) The Enziguri Kick. I also know they didn't feel that way about americans either. If they did they wouldn't want to wrestle in the U.S. even though it pays the most. I feel bad for wrestlers forced into that angle as it is very dangerous. Hey have You seen Beyond the Mat?

As for 9/11 the Rock came out and did the best thing they could ever do in that situation as he spoke for the locker room In the best speech that he could give. As I said before no they don't have Political influence but they do have influence in country morale and as strange as they get sometimes when something like that happens they come out and don't make a joke of it they rally the troops and rebuild morale. Lots of respect for those guys. Some of them even have stopped wrestling for a while and went to war. two names come to mind the WWE's Road Dogg Jessie James (when he was Road Dogg as he isn't anymore.) (served in Desert Storm) and Raven (Scott Levy) (also Served in Desert Storm)

Originally posted by DoomsdayPlague
Yes thats true about Slaughter and It kind of sucked cause the man was even put in the G.I. Joe cartoon for being such a patriot. Which the man is regardless of angles.

I have that movie somewhere. Where, oh where are the 1980's now?

I saw it on A&E. I also remember that angle and watch it live. The Hart Foundation were the Anti-Americans. I hated the Angle cause it could of hurt Brets career as well as his Very promising brother Owen Hart (R.I.P) I went to his tribute show after his death. I Though He was great and I loved one of the moves he used most often (not sure if it was his finisher) The Enziguri Kick. I also know they didn't feel that way about americans either. If they did they wouldn't want to wrestle in the U.S. even though it pays the most. I feel bad for wrestlers forced into that angle as it is very dangerous. Hey have You seen Beyond the Mat?

Yes I have, and it was quite an eye opener...um, no pun intended. This and WWS were great videos that really gave an insight to the way wrestling was for these people. I agree with your comments on the Hart family. Brett (Bret) was not that sort of person, he wouldn't say things like what he said about Pittsburgh, which was really edgy at the time. Owen's Enziguri was a great move, and for your information, it was his setup for the Sharpshooter. (a submission hold where you try to make your opponant give up because the pain is too great, for those who don't follow wrestling). The only thing I would have liked to see was how the other wrestlers reacted to the 97 Survivor Series screwjob. (I'll tell you about it for those wondering). I know Mick Foley was going to quit, and Mark Calloway (Undertaker) confronted WWF owner Vince McMahon and demanded that he apologise to Brett.

As for 9/11 the Rock came out and did the best thing they could ever do in that situation as he spoke for the locker room In the best speech that he could give. As I said before no they don't have Political influence but they do have influence in country morale and as strange as they get sometimes when something like that happens they come out and don't make a joke of it they rally the troops and rebuild morale. Lots of respect for those guys. Some of them even have stopped wrestling for a while and went to war. two names come to mind the WWE's Road Dogg Jessie James (when he was Road Dogg as he isn't anymore.) (served in Desert Storm) and Raven (Scott Levy) (also Served in Desert Storm)

Yeah, I remember the tributes for September 11th as well, to try and bring it back on topic a bit I'll go over this. I remember showing these to a lot of people, and they cried. Hell, I cried, and had shivers going down my spine during the National Anthem. (Which, you've who've seen it would have noticed, had the crowd DEAD silent, quieter than I've ever heard in an arena). There were a lot of great comments from the wrestlers that night, and only a few were vengeful, such as Bradshaw (who I happen to be an even bigger fan of after this) and Tazz. Then I read about the criticism over it and was sickened. I mean, they reacted to Vince McMahon's speach as if they were going to bring out Osama Binladen for a match on the spot, and were disgusted by Stephenie's comments. (Okay, comparing terrorist acts to the drug trials some years back was a bit rich, but on the whole the comments were very worthwhile). Sure, there's always going to be criticism on what one and one does not do, but I know that having this was a welcome relief from all the death and destruction that (deserveably) was on television for a good hundred hours straight.

Back