Amazon Kindle

Starman

Rear Admiral
I'm planning on grabbing myself an Amazon Kindle 3G once it's released here in the UK at the end of the month.

I have most of the available WC books in hard copy. But does anyone happen to know if they are in e-book form yet?

I don't see any of the books in the kindle store. It doesn't look line Baen offers any of them in e-book format directly.

While there aren't official ebooks, you may be able to use torrents to obtain them. I won't go into details here, as I don't want to break any forum rules.

Yes, let's suggest pirating e-books without getting specific about it.

Frankly if the e-book doesn't exist in the legal channels you're not going to find it on some abandonwarez website. I just don't see Russian software pirates spending their time converting Wing Commander books into a Kindle supported format when they could be stealing battle.net accounts with bootleg trainers.

Personally I'm interested in the HP Slate which is due out later this year. That way you can read anything and you won't have to worry about being brad specific.

When searching for WC book on Amazon UK there is an option on each which states - I’d like to read this book on Kindle - Example here.

Hopefully that will allow Amazon and the Publisher to see there is an interest in this titles as ebooks and as Amazon I would assume as the biggest share of the ebook market the best chance is no doubt with them.

Baen is fairly unique when it comes to ebooks. They don't offer them for sale through Amazon, they give away free unencrypted versions of books believing the practice will covince people to suscribe to their electronic service or buy more of their dead tree books.

We've spoken to them about Wing Commander before. The problem is apparently that their license with EA predates anyone caring about downloadable books... so they would need to go back and work out a new deal in order to publish electronic copies of the WC series. (Which they would like to do, but without some profit on their part there's no strong argument for paying a contract lawyer to set it up with EA.)

Back