Alternate Ending?

True, but the Emperor had a lot more authority than Thrakhath had

I haven't read Action Stations in quite some time, but I distincty recall one of the main reasons for launching the war against the humans (and the Varni, and the... Wu?) was because the Imperial House's grasp on the throne was growing shaky and the Emperor needed to launch a "short victorious war" (in the historical sense, not the David Weber sense) to distract the people from trying to overthrow him.

That said, neither Thrakkath nor Jukaga were particularly religious, so it seems like there was a sizable cadre inside the Kilrathi leadership that saw the "Star Gods" as just another powerful race that preyed on the weak.

(Speaking of which, re: the Mantu - was that a name Forstchen invented himself, or one created by Origin and later retconned out by ICIS?)

Some additional, complementary thoughts

Some thoughts here in answer to some of the ideas above:

The Kilrathi (either for political or religious reasons) aggressively pursue conflicts with other races they come across. This violent expansionism unifies them as a species by giving them a common enemy to team up against. Because of this, I feel the state of the Empire (pre-Kilrah's destruction) would have lasted under its (then) current leadership until the Emperor died on his own or the Kilrathi ran out of other races to brutalize. However, after reading over what some of the others have mentioned, I would have to say that the state of the Empire after the Emperor's leadership would have been a turbulent period. However, I still feel Thrakhath's ruthlessness seems like it might have kept his people in line, giving him the "right" to the throne by force, even if unsupported by the political powers-that-be (i.e. the last Emperor). Of course, this is just one of those things we'd all have to sit back and go "hmm" about, being that it never did happen or never could happen at this point. The ruthlessness and tenacity of the Kilrathi may by its very nature make for a better showing against the Nephilim & the Aligned in a hypothetical alternate timeline (where they defeated the Confederation), simply because they don't seem as forgiving or wishy-washy as humanity. Even if they are just as eager to clobber each other as they are their enemies, they still appear somewhat unified in being vicious, and their whole way of life centers around this fundamental violent expansionist behavior. They seem like they (as a people) might have stronger spirits and more of a stomach for warfare than the whole of humanity. In the human ranks, you have half the people screaming to kill them all while the other half sits there asking why we can't all be friends. Even in the earlier games, it seems like there's conflicts within the main human characters. The Kilrathi have some kind of depth in terms of bloodline, clan status, etc., but they don't seem as bound by the whole "is it right" moral boundaries (from what's depicted). Humanity is the enemy, and the enemy must be slain. Of course, we see this to not be fully true when Melek bows before Blair following Kilrah's destruction, but before the fall of the Empire, I wonder if a visionary view such as his would have any place among his people.

Regarding the report on the Prophecy...I guess I'm in the minority by saying that I don't think it was a cheesy idea, nor all that poorly implimented as others here feel it was. I agree with LOAF that the very nature of the game suggests that the Prophecy is, in some way, shape, or form, tied into what is happening in the game. It's too central a theme to be nothing more than a far, unrelated stretch. In the case of the report, I don't think it was poorly handled. A new threat has appeared out of nowhere, Confed is running completely blind, so in the hopes of making some kind of sense of things, the report digs into some Kilrathi mythos (which historically has at least a hint of truth in reality) in the hopes of understanding the relations between the Kilrathi and the Nephilim, perhaps establishing motive, giving Confed something distinguishable to recognize to evaluate the level of threat. If the Prophecy wasn't tied to it, the whole report would just be a complete shrug. The fact that the Prophecy is hinted at suggests the threat is real enough to make the Kilrathi quake; therefore it's something Confed needs to be cautious with.

However, it's right that technologically, the best Confederation pilots in the best fighters can whoop a numerically-superior Nephilim fighter threat. However, we don't yet know or appreciate the full size of the Nephilim. A human pilot who could grease 100 bugs wouldn't amount to much if mankind was outnumbered millions or billions (or more) to one. It's also possible that the Nephilim have other technology not yet revealed. I thought I read somewhere that their fighters are piloted by "drones," and their caste system seems to read like an insect farm (I consider it in terms of ants...that being the case, soldier ants are probably going to be a bit more tenacious than drones if provoked). Capital ship warfare is a different ballgame too. There's still no guarantee (and, at least in my mind, evidence to the contrary) that even the Midway could withstand one of those dreadnaught's super plasma weapon bursts. Because of this and the Nephilim's (likely) vast number, I think it's a bit presumptuous to automatically assume that the Confederation or the Kilrathi could defeat such an adversary easily given how well one or two battles against a (relatively) small number of Nephilim worked out. I see the Nephilim as something like Wing Commander's zerg (Starcraft universe for those that don't know the term); if they felt so inclined, they could send swarms at an enemy of their choosing. It just seemed more like in Prophecy, they were more interested in educating themselves (studying) than fighting Confed and the Kilrathi outright.

In terms of Kn'Thrak (maybe someone could correct me here if I'm wrong), I was under the impression that the Star Gods would return to crush both the Kilrathi and the ones who defeated them (in this case humanity). It would seem more likely that the Star Gods would instead "test" the victors, so perhaps if this is indeed an accurate plot point on my part, this is something that would lean more towards Kilrathi prejudism towards other races (i.e. they'd assume that any race that beat their almighty empire would have only done so by a fluke and therefore be unworthy to oppose their Star Gods).

Lastly, as another plot point to pick here...I don't think it's written anywhere that the Nephilim ARE the Star Gods. For all we know, they could merely be representatives of the Aligned, and the Aligned could be under the leadership of the Star Gods. The common misconception here is that if the Kilrathi see the Nephilim and refer to it as Kn'Thrak that the Nephilim must therefore be the Star Gods, and I somewhat doubt that's the case. Typically when referring to "Gods," I think a group of believers has a need to give the title to a relatively small number of entities rather than an endless cluster of identical-looking footsoldiers. For my own part, I've wondered if the Kilrathi's Sivar might somehow be included in this grouping as well. Regardless, if there is a group of aliens that the Nephilim are a part of (which we're assuming is what the Aligned Peoples are, and which makes sense to me), then I think the Star Gods are then another race of the Aligned. Like was stated above, there's no indication that these Star Gods are indestructable either, but I dare say that there hasn't been enough individual identity within the Nephilim's ranks nor an impressive enough display from them technologically to defend the fact that the Kilrathi would've referred to them at any point as "Gods."

Lastly, as a philosophical point to ponder, while it may be abnormal for official reports to bridge the gap between some ancient prophecy and a modern event (though as I stated above, I think the use in this case is considerably different), it's not unrealistic to assume that when people see something spectacularly tragic or traumatic, that a whole slew of people start screaming that the sky is falling. Even now, we live in a world full of people with varying religious beliefs, and some of those all across the board have suggested that we might see this mythological armageddon in this lifetime, perhaps influenced by witnessing some current events. A lot of people get very superstitious when remarkably good or remarkably bad things happen. In Prophecy, the little spook story of the Kilrathi Prophecy circulates about the ship continually to try and keep us on edge, but realistically, I could see people reacting that way in real life. The sky probably isn't falling, but that doesn't stop a whole slew of people from believing that it is.

(Speaking of which, re: the Mantu - was that a name Forstchen invented himself, or one created by Origin and later retconned out by ICIS?)
The Mantu were invented by Forstchen. They weren't retconned out by the ICIS, however - quite the opposite, the ICIS is one of the most informative sources in regards to the Mantu.

Another thought on the Nephilim, if they were a technologically advanced spacefaring race way back in the days of the ancient Kilrathi empire, shouldn't their ships and technology be a whole lot more advanced than that of the humans - who have been exploring the stars for much less time? Seems odd that their fighters and ours would be roughly a pound for pound match.

Well, yeah, their intent is very clear - but my argument is based on what we know from the in-universe sources, rather than what we know of the developers' intentions. This seems like a reasonable thing to do, given how unlikely it is that the intentions of the people behind WCP will ever be carried through in a future game (after all, even if EA chooses to set a new WC game after WCP rather than during the Kilrathi War, this game will be developed by a completely different team, who will put their own spin on things).

It's not a matter of the developers "intentions", in the way you seem to be implying -- the idea that Wing Commander Prophecy is about a Kilrathi prophecy isn't some obscure fact hidden in an old e-mail... it's right there flat in the middle of the narrative (and the manual and the name of the game...). Any future Wing Commander game will be based on a broad understanding of the previous title, not some kind of pseudo-academic forced perspective read on specific elements of the continuity.

And based on what we know from the in-universe sources, the only thing that connects the Nephilim with the Star Gods is Kilrathi superstition. Heck, after the Nephilim are defeated, it's likely even the Kilrathi stopped believing that they were the Star Gods - if the Star Gods were supposed to destroy the universe, and instead were defeated, then they can't be the Star Gods, and the war against them couldn't be Kn'Thrak.

Yeah - but they didn't actually come up with any reasons based on myths. You might very well see an intel report explaining that people are afraid to come out at night because they think that a spate of recent murders was caused by angry pixies - but you definitely won't see a report that actually seriously considers the possibility of angry pixies being responsible.

I don't think you're being fair to the document. It isn't advocating Kilrathi mythology in any way, shape or form -- it's explaining the real-world origins behind it, which relate very much to the broad topic being discussed (historical alien threats). It explains that the Kilrathi believe in Kn'thrack and Tr'thrak, not that these things are believable outcomes. They're threats that the Nephilim apparently made to the ancient Kilrathi, not something a scholar believes are now coming true.

Moreover, I think it has a clear purpose in the greater scheme of things -- to attach the otherwise mysterious and unrelated Nephilim to the existing mythos of the series. The idea that these guys are why the Kilrathi have always been aggressive is a little bit more interesting than aliens coming out of a hole to kill us for no reason one day. It's decidedly *not* a decision to randomly accept Kilrathi mythology as true --

You can (and do, in our previous example) explain the historical basis for and the present-day effect of the Christian belief in the resurrection without accepting that Jesus is going to rise from his grave... and that's exactly what this document does. (In terms of your angry pixies, you would certainly want to explain *why* people believe in them and exactly what that means in the current context...)

The name comes from Dr. Forstchen. The concept came from a conversation with Origin regarding potential future storylines for the series after Wing Commander III.

Another thought on the Nephilim, if they were a technologically advanced spacefaring race way back in the days of the ancient Kilrathi empire, shouldn't their ships and technology be a whole lot more advanced than that of the humans - who have been exploring the stars for much less time? Seems odd that their fighters and ours would be roughly a pound for pound match.

I don't think there's any reason why two separate civilization on opposite ends of the galaxy need to necessarily progress at similar rates at all.

I'm with McGruff, outside of the Plasma technology (which we now have), clustering and the squid infinite booster, we've got these bugs at par.

That is assuming that what we've run into in WCP and WCSO is their cutting edge stuff and not their equivalent of fighters and carriers on their way to be mothballed.

It could be that the technology the Nephilim had was the same technology the Kilrathi encountered with the mighty advanced race described in the books. The Kilrathi could've studied captured technology (from the debris of battle wreckage, POWs, etc.) and applied it to their weapons. Following that, the humans studied captured Kilrathi technology and incorporated it into theirs. I suppose the Nephilim were organic based technology, but the Kilrathi could've developed hardware equivilents.

This could be compared to how 'the West' became much more technologically advanced than countries like Japan; but once Japan began studying 'Western' technology they were suddenly 'on par' and even leading edge... {just a theory}...

PS I'm not too familiar with Nephilim tech. since I haven't played Prophecy yet, but I'm going off of what I've read on the forums, so I appologize if I'm off on some of my Nephilim assumptions.

It's not a matter of the developers "intentions", in the way you seem to be implying -- the idea that Wing Commander Prophecy is about a Kilrathi prophecy isn't some obscure fact hidden in an old e-mail... it's right there flat in the middle of the narrative (and the manual and the name of the game...). Any future Wing Commander game will be based on a broad understanding of the previous title, not some kind of pseudo-academic forced perspective read on specific elements of the continuity.
To be honest, I think any future Wing Commander game that takes place after WCP will simply do its best to ignore the events from WCP, because ultimately the Kilrathi are far, far more interesting than the Nephilim. Of course, that's pure speculation on my part, but it does seem more likely, for the same reason that a Kilrathi War game seems more likely in the first place than a post-WCP game. And, well, if that does happen, then it really will come down to a "pseudo-academic forced perspective read on specific elements of the continuity", as you call it.

(though I freely admit I'm very biased on this - since I think the whole Prophecy idea is ridiculous, I rather hope that whoever makes the next WC game will come to the same conclusion, and will prefer to ignore it)

I don't think you're being fair to the document. It isn't advocating Kilrathi mythology in any way, shape or form -- it's explaining the real-world origins behind it, which relate very much to the broad topic being discussed (historical alien threats). It explains that the Kilrathi believe in Kn'thrack and Tr'thrak, not that these things are believable outcomes. They're threats that the Nephilim apparently made to the ancient Kilrathi, not something a scholar believes are now coming true.
...Except that the person writing it has no reason whatsoever to make the connection. If an alien race was to appear above the Earth right now, would anyone look back to the Biblical Nephilim to explain it? There's a guy out there, named Erich von Daniken, who's made a career out of books that "re-interpret" folklore and archaeological findings to prove that Earth has been repeatedly visited by aliens. This guy has raked in millions of dollars from his books, because they're very enjoyable... but nobody in the scientific world actually takes him seriously. He's regarded as a crackpot - and that's exactly how Confed would look on any intelligence officer that tried to submit a report arguing that a previously unknown alien race had visited Kilrah before, because the Kilrathi have myths about gods coming down from the stars. More than that, though - it's exceedingly hard to believe that it would even occur to anyone to make the connection. As a general rule, intelligence officers are by far the least likely people to try to connect a current event with a most likely fictional (as far as this intel officer would be concerned - most people, particularly those whose job requires them to always think rationally, tend to reject five thousand year old myths as fiction at best loosely inspired by fact, and certainly not as historical records) event from five thousand years earlier.

Moreover, I think it has a clear purpose in the greater scheme of things -- to attach the otherwise mysterious and unrelated Nephilim to the existing mythos of the series. The idea that these guys are why the Kilrathi have always been aggressive is a little bit more interesting than aliens coming out of a hole to kill us for no reason one day. It's decidedly *not* a decision to randomly accept Kilrathi mythology as true.
Well, I certainly wouldn't try to argue against that. God knows, aliens coming out of a hole to kill us need all the help they can get in being interesting :p.

To be honest, I think any future Wing Commander game that takes place after WCP will simply do its best to ignore the events from WCP, because ultimately the Kilrathi are far, far more interesting than the Nephilim. Of course, that's pure speculation on my part, but it does seem more likely, for the same reason that a Kilrathi War game seems more likely in the first place than a post-WCP game. And, well, if that does happen, then it really will come down to a "pseudo-academic forced perspective read on specific elements of the continuity", as you call it.

(though I freely admit I'm very biased on this - since I think the whole Prophecy idea is ridiculous, I rather hope that whoever makes the next WC game will come to the same conclusion, and will prefer to ignore it)

...Except that the person writing it has no reason whatsoever to make the connection. If an alien race was to appear above the Earth right now, would anyone look back to the Biblical Nephilim to explain it? There's a guy out there, named Erich von Daniken, who's made a career out of books that "re-interpret" folklore and archaeological findings to prove that Earth has been repeatedly visited by aliens. This guy has raked in millions of dollars from his books, because they're very enjoyable... but nobody in the scientific world actually takes him seriously. He's regarded as a crackpot - and that's exactly how Confed would look on any intelligence officer that tried to submit a report arguing that a previously unknown alien race had visited Kilrah before, because the Kilrathi have myths about gods coming down from the stars. More than that, though - it's exceedingly hard to believe that it would even occur to anyone to make the connection. As a general rule, intelligence officers are by far the least likely people to try to connect a current event with a most likely fictional (as far as this intel officer would be concerned - most people, particularly those whose job requires them to always think rationally, tend to reject five thousand year old myths as fiction at best loosely inspired by fact, and certainly not as historical records) event from five thousand years earlier.

Well, I certainly wouldn't try to argue against that. God knows, aliens coming out of a hole to kill us need all the help they can get in being interesting :p.

Wow.. It boggles the mind that you would say all of that. First off.. In the US alone there are thousands of people that think that the "war on terror" is the biblical end of days and that this is all leading up to the battle at Har-Magedon and the ascention of all the faithful to the celestial temple, so prophecy and faith ARE very much things that intelligence agencies take seriously, whether the prophecy proves true or not.

Secondly, you know what would be really interesting in Wing commander? How about that they continue the story with the Nephilim, tell us whether there is something more monstrous and insidious behing the 'prophecy', have the kilrathi work with the confederation in an attempt to destroy the star gods, or even work against the confederation so that their prophecized destruction can be fullfilled.

And lastly, if one day aliens did pop up in the skies over the earth, I guarentee you nobody would consider Erich von Daniken a crackpot anymore :p

Wow.. It boggles the mind that you would say all of that. First off.. In the US alone there are thousands of people that think that the "war on terror" is the biblical end of days and that this is all leading up to the battle at Har-Magedon and the ascention of all the faithful to the celestial temple, so prophecy and faith ARE very much things that intelligence agencies take seriously, whether the prophecy proves true or not.
Yeah... and exactly how many of those people write intelligence reports? Zero. Obviously, intelligence agencies take faith seriously (as I've already said), but they do so from a different perspective - they don't take into consideration the possibility that people's beliefs are actually true, rather they take into consideration the effect that people's beliefs have on their actions. In the case of the Kilrathi prophecy, not only is the Kilrathi belief that this is the end of the world more or less irrelevant to the situation, it's also information not available at the time when the report was written. We find out that the Kilrathi think this is Kn'Thrak *after* the report was written - one of the characteristics of the Nephilim invasion is that everybody directly affected by the invasion were cut off from the rest of the universe, so they weren't able to tell anybody else what they think is happening.

Secondly, you know what would be really interesting in Wing commander? How about that they continue the story with the Nephilim, tell us whether there is something more monstrous and insidious behing the 'prophecy', have the kilrathi work with the confederation in an attempt to destroy the star gods, or even work against the confederation so that their prophecized destruction can be fullfilled.
No, that would be the most awful thing that could ever happen to Wing Commander.

And lastly, if one day aliens did pop up in the skies over the earth, I guarentee you nobody would consider Erich von Daniken a crackpot anymore :p
Yeah, and imagine how silly all the adults will feel when one day, Santa Claus shows up and they'll suddenly realise that they weren't lying to their children about him being real.

The name comes from Dr. Forstchen. The concept came from a conversation with Origin regarding potential future storylines for the series after Wing Commander III.

I guess what I meant to ask is whether the Star Gods would have replaced the Mantu in the novel had something along those lines been worked out by 1994.

I love how it is easy to suspend your disbelief when it comes to faster than light travel across endless tracks of space, but when confronted by the notion that there is a spacefaring race older than the Humans or the Kilrathi by thousands of years or more who could have easily visited kilrah to sow the seeds of prophecy, or in this case a simple warning, then suddenly its a silly 'prophecy' and nobody should take it seriously because the kilrathi are a more interesting opponent.

That is what the prophecy is all about.. the star gods gave the kilrathi a simple warning.. taste defeat and we are coming to finish the job.

Personally I get tired of tearing through kilrathi fighter after fighter with little difficulty.. if I encountered a superior foe in a WC game that would be the *BEST* thing that ever happened to the Wing Commander franchise.

I don't think there's any reason why two separate civilization on opposite ends of the galaxy need to necessarily progress at similar rates at all.

Ok, but imagine today's U.S. military being transported back in time only 65 years. The whole combined might of the Axis would be lucky to last a month. Now take them back only another 80. A single Abrams would devastate the entire Confederacy in a week. Even if the Nephilim were really really slow learners, they still have the jump on us by not hundreds, but thousands of years. Earth should be a great big bugfarm.

Secondly, you know what would be really interesting in Wing commander? How about that they continue the story with the Nephilim, tell us whether there is something more monstrous and insidious behing the 'prophecy', have the kilrathi work with the confederation in an attempt to destroy the star gods, or even work against the confederation so that their prophecized destruction can be fullfilled./QUOTE]

I could easily see the Kilrathi helping Confed and a small splinter group like the Hammer of Light from Freespace both of them if they ever do a post WCP game.

I guess what I meant to ask is whether the Star Gods would have replaced the Mantu had something along those lines been worked out in 1994.

Well, knowing something like that is an impossibility. As I said, the references to the Mantu are a result of a conversation Dr. Forstchen had with the people in charge of Wing Commander in 1993. He was not asked to include them, and he created the name himself. Whoever he spoke to (it may have been Starr Long) told him that they were considering a story about a new more powerful alien enemy for Wing Commander 4, and Forstchen went forward from that fact. That story didn't happen, though a largely different group of people ended up doing something similar a few years later with Prophecy.

Reasonably speaking, the ICIS Manual could have taken the Mantu either way -- instead of giving them a direct historical background, it could just as easily have said that 'Mantu' was the Kilrathi word for 'Star God', and that the pre-historic Nephilim were what they'd been afraid of for so long.

No, that would be the most awful thing that could ever happen to Wing Commander.

It seems like there's something else to this. I can understand not liking Prophecy for a variety of different reasons... but it really feels like ike you're insisting that the story is something it's not in order to criticize it on something other than a personal level. I can't find any fundamental wrong with the idea that there would be an alien race that inspired the Kilrathi to create their doomsday prophecy. The Kilrathi *think* the Nephilim returning is the end of the universe -- the game is not promising this.

That's not what I mean by a pseudo-academic forced perspective -- that would be simply not addressing the Prophecy era in favor of returning to the more succesful Kilrathi games. The forced perspective would be doing a direct sequel to Prophecy, but basing it only on what we think the characters know rather than looking at the whole narrative. Of course, no matter what we think, EA won't necessarily agree -- we sohuld table this discussion, as the answer may become clear very soon.

...Except that the person writing it has no reason whatsoever to make the connection. If an alien race was to appear above the Earth right now, would anyone look back to the Biblical Nephilim to explain it?

... seriously? If aliens suddenly came out of a space hole and started killing people, I'm pretty sure we'd have more legitimate sociohistorians looking at all kinds of old conspiracy theories (and you'd *certainly* have anyone remotely religious turning to their bible...).

There's a guy out there, named Erich von Daniken, who's made a career out of books that "re-interpret" folklore and archaeological findings to prove that Earth has been repeatedly visited by aliens. This guy has raked in millions of dollars from his books, because they're very enjoyable... but nobody in the scientific world actually takes him seriously. He's regarded as a crackpot - and that's exactly how Confed would look on any intelligence officer that tried to submit a report arguing that a previously unknown alien race had visited Kilrah before, because the Kilrathi have myths about gods coming down from the stars. More than that, though - it's exceedingly hard to believe that it would even occur to anyone to make the connection. As a general rule, intelligence officers are by far the least likely people to try to connect a current event with a most likely fictional (as far as this intel officer would be concerned - most people, particularly those whose job requires them to always think rationally, tend to reject five thousand year old myths as fiction at best loosely inspired by fact, and certainly not as historical records) event from five thousand years earlier.

You're making several bad assumptions here, chief among them *who* is responsible for the report (the ICIS manual doesn't say), and *how* he is regarded by Confed. The entire package begins with a disclaimer directly addressing that -- "all data and analyses are based on unprocessed primary sources. Conclusions and recommendations should be regarded as HIGH TENTATIVE." Their punctuation, not mine.

We also know absolutely nothing about a million other factors -- you're assuming, for example, that Kilrathi mythology is exactly as undefined as our own. It's equally possible that this is some long-standing xenohistorical analysis and not something that's suddenly been decided. What if the Kilrathi have elaborate drawings of spaceships instead of mysterious rock formations, and futuristic graduate students have been doing legitimate research into the origin of the Prophecy since the war ended? This goes back to the old trap, that they're not just furry humans.

Ok, but imagine today's U.S. military being transported back in time only 65 years. The whole combined might of the Axis would be lucky to last a month. Now take them back only another 80. A single Abrams would devastate the entire Confederacy in a week. Even if the Nephilim were really really slow learners, they still have the jump on us by not hundreds, but thousands of years. Earth should be a great big bugfarm.

First, we should let the record show that the report we've been discussing does directly address this... there's a paragraph about it (page 20, third paragraph down).

Your post isn't entirely accurate, though. Technology doesn't advance at a steady rate... it jumps quickly, and it levels out, too. We've had quite a few advances in recent years... but there are long periods of time where that was not the case. 50 years between the biplane and the jet is interesting, but it doesn't mean that we also didn't spend 10,000 years trying to build a slightly better stone axe.

We also don't know enough about the Nephilim. If, for instance, their ships are truly "grown" (as suggested by their designer, Syd Mead), then perhaps they need to 'evolve' better weapons. If they're actually a "membership test", then maybe they're kept at a particular level of technology to treat evey race they encounter the same way (a galactic SAT). We also don't know exactly what level they were at when they impressed the Kilrathi -- appearing magic to primitives doesn't require a fighter that can go toe-to-toe with a Vampire.

But all this means is that the Nephilim either won't or can't advance. If they are really a "test" race for some galactic group of superraces, it makes sense that they wouldn't send a race that would be invinceable against the confederation or the Kilrathi. It doesn't do alot of good to petition new sorority members if you kill them during pledge week.

Or it could mean that they are incapable of technological innovation. Maybe they stole all their technology the way the kilrathi did to get into space. Maybe the only reason they try to defeat upstart races is so that the new race cannot surpass them.

Sadly, we are never going to find out until the next Wing Commander game is released.

Can you quantify that opinion? I'm curious to your reasoning.
I can. See below....

It seems like there's something else to this. I can understand not liking Prophecy for a variety of different reasons... but it really feels like ike you're insisting that the story is something it's not in order to criticize it on something other than a personal level. I can't find any fundamental wrong with the idea that there would be an alien race that inspired the Kilrathi to create their doomsday prophecy. The Kilrathi *think* the Nephilim returning is the end of the universe -- the game is not promising this.
Well, the irony is that Prophecy is actually my second-favourite WC game (WC2 being the favourite). But, as much as I enjoy it as a game, I feel that it was simply the wrong direction for WC. The gameplay was fantastic, and the story... well, that's the thing. I don't have anything as such against the *human* side of the story, but it often felt like the bugs didn't add anything. We could just as well have been fighting an enormous cockroach infestation. For me, the most interesting bit of the story was the Hawk-Kilrathi incident... which could just as easily have taken place without the Nephilim, in WC4.

I mean, Wing Commander has never really been science-fiction - the first three games were just plain World War II in space, and the fourth was the civil war in space, plus a few Nazis. Prophecy started adding classic sci-fi elements into the mix (you know, the usual Star Trek-eqsue mysterious race of aliens that has been around forever and secretly influenced other civilisations; sure, there had been Steltek before, but they were never meant to play a big role in the series), and I feel that continuing this would have been a big loss for Wing Commander. The more I hear about what they planned to do with the bugs (all that stuff about the bugs being a part of a larger group of races, etc.), the less I want to hear.

Additionally, I'm not a big fan of the notion that the Kilrathi became what they are because of external influence - I felt that the previous games had explained well enough how the Kilrathi had evolved without resorting to alien influence. There's nothing wrong per se with this, they're still the same Kilrathi, regardless of how their culture developed... but it just seems like an unnecessary complication.

Of course, faced with a choice of no new WC games or a new WC game that carries on WCP's story, I'd definitely take the latter - but I would still rather see WC go in a different direction. It's just that there's a bunch of storyline elements in WC1 and 2 that made me a fan of the series, and all that sci-fi stuff planned for WCP & sequels feels like something completely different.

I never much cared for the direction Prophecy's story took either, ultimately for exactly the reasons you mentioned (minus the ICIS; I eagerly devoured it before playing the game, but the hype it built up wasn't nearly as interesting as the game itself was.)

Still, I don't see the Nephilim idea as an irreversably bad (or even necessarily bad at all) storyline direction. After playing through four Wing Commander games, we're disposed to believe that the Confederation is a thorough future-modern counterpart to our own civilization; that's hardly the case at all, though. The Steltek, of course, put the first dent in this idea; it hardly follows that you're going to go forever without encountering other powers of comparable or superior strength. This isn't necessarily a case of "When Aliens Attack" (though Prophecy admittedly did do a lot in the end to play up that angle); it's Mesopotamian tribes on the banks of the Euphrates.

Back