All Wings Considered - Episode 23 - LIVE! (August 22, 2019)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
The latest episode of ALL WINGS CONSIDERED is live now! All Wings Considered is the CIC's first ever streaming variety show which features news, conversation and gameplay relating to our favorite series. This week's Nav Points include:

• Wing Commander 3 3DO - Orsini System
  • How do transports work in Armada, anyway?
  • A cosmological tour of the Gemini Sector!
  • Wing Commander Book Club - Heart of the Tiger, Chapters 1-4

Missed the stream? The replay will be available below once it has been processed by YouTube. You can subscribe to the AWC channel for future notifications here.

--
Original update published on August 22, 2019

Guys, if I get a 3DO console, I can play WC3 cd version, do I need the original cd's ? is there any other way like a 3DO emulator for example, I don't owe the original 3D0 games, only the cd's - original PC version from 1994.

The 3DO version is entirely different. If you buy a 3DO Console, you'll need to buy a 3DO copy of the game to play.

Played Wing3 on PC a couple of times, game seems more complete on 3D0 if I can put it that way, those little details makes it more compelling.

I'd say you're right! The 3DO version had a little more time to implement quality of life touches that the PC shipped without (like the news videos and the additional gumps in the gameflow screens.) That's partially because they had more time for development and partially because it's much easier to build a game to a particular system (like the 3DO) instead of a PC that has to support a thousand theoretical user configurations (much harder in 1994 than today, too!)

That said, as we play a little more you'll see some of the limitations of the 3DO version that come in for the same reason. For instance, it just doesn't have the horsepower to do the ground missions and they are all replaced by attacks on orbital gun platforms (when you destroy them you get a rendered flick of the ground attack you missed out on.)

Thanks Bandit, I was thinking that maybe there might be some limitations especially if you play WC3 on a newer PC, speed of the game and explosions quality for example, but it's still cool to catch up on some aspects left out on the PC version.

I always liked Privateer also, one of my favourite games back in the day, they don't make them like that anymore.

Last edited:
hey I got Wing 3 to work ! unbelievable, Im limited with the controller, got the basic flight controls I was about to ask you about auto pilot but I got it right !

Awesome, I'm glad you got it working. I've played the PSX port but haven't tried the 3DO version. Previous 3DO emulators just wouldn't work for me. Apparently I need to give it another shot.

Back