All New Map Thread

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Hey people! I have the full extended LOAF cut WCP map online in quadrant-by-quadrant form! Here...

http://www.blacklance.org/~loaf/map

So... it's once again time to make changes, add stuff, fix stuff, etc! Wedge, you still alive?

Random notes for me to use at home follow:

Changes to make:

REPAIRS TO MAKE:
Epsilon 1/Epsilon 4: Remove 'Tau Ceti-Goddard' jump.
Epsilon 4: Add 'Natanya-Firekka' jump.
Epsilon 3: Label missing system.
M'Shrak 1: Fix capitalization issue.
Kilrah 3: Remove/fix Gmarktu.
Kilrah 2: Kilrah system overlay error.
Vega: Warhammer text label error.

CHANGES TO BE MADE:
* Confed systems to add: Perillia, Petunia, Verula, Ulsima, Anatic, Fuma Malo, Logo, Astoria, Megaron, Ceti Prime, Makis, Altair, Muspelheim, New Sydney, Uruk, Panama, Yorin, Tangier, Carlin, Ingraya, Primus, Nanking (s), Facin (s), Nanking (s), Yarin (s, Facin adjacent, opposite Varni), Elena (s), Centauri (s)
* Add Veratek System -- has one Confed jump point, two Kilrathi jump points.
* Add Astoria (front lines somewhere)
* Add Megaron (one jump from Nephele?)
* Add ?->Sheol->Baroda->Troy
* Add Veratek System (one Confed jump, two Kilrathi jumps)
* Add Etruria Sector (w/ Grovsner Colonies)
* Add Gmarktu Sector
* Fill out Hari Space
* Mark Charybdis Jumps
* Label jump lines/points where known.
* List various famous routes (TCS Tiger's Claw, TCS Olympus, etc.)
* Stellar data (star type, # of planets, etc.)
* List planets, bases, anomalies and other objects where available.
* Add the Tri-System (Isaac, Irrulan, Hom).
* System maps, where available.
* Mark Pilgrim systems.
* Mark alternate sector names.
* Do 'print' versions.
* Do single-image map.

Alternate Sector Names:
Enigma Sector -- aka Gwynedd Sector, Niven Sector, K'Tithrak Mang Sector
Epsilon Sector -- aka Antares Sector, aka Firekka Sector, aka Deneb Sector, aka Orsini Sector, aka Locanda Sector, aka Leyton Sector
Vega Sector -- aka Tamayo Sector, aka Blackmane Sector, aka Alcor Sector, aka Freya Sector, aka Hyperion Sector, aka Proxima Sector

Previous map discussion:
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4109
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4193
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4222

Note: "Long Jump" -- a 500 parsec jump line that goes from Confed space to the lower portion of the Kilrathi Empire, 4 jumps from Kilrah. Like this: (Jugara)-(Gmarktu)-(Jubara)-(Unnamed)-Kilrah.

Very nice! 2 questions though..

Are you always going to just leave the Armada maps seperate, or are you planning to at some point to attempt to fit them into the big map?

And with the tri-system, are you going to leave it as seperate, or are you going to try to place it somewhere on the map?

Are you always going to just leave the Armada maps seperate, or are you planning to at some point to attempt to fit them into the big map?

I think I'll probably connect them... probably using the sector names and locations discussed in Action Stations.

And with the tri-system, are you going to leave it as seperate, or are you going to try to place it somewhere on the map?

I'm going to stick it somewhere... (possibly in the Enigma Sector's Isaac Quadrant). Suggestions are welcome for a location...

Okay, made a mess of changes... there's now a "Gmarktu Sector" (with one system in it:)) as per the *original* WCU map that was posted on wingcommanderprophecy.com. The 'End Run' course stuff has been altered accordingly (and the 'long jump' is now actually really long). All the 'repairs' on my list below have been performed.

My to-do list...

CHANGES TO BE MADE:
* Confed systems to add: Perillia, Petunia, Verula, Ulsima, Anatic, Fuma Malo, Logo, Astoria, Megaron, Ceti Prime, Makis, Altair, Muspelheim, New Sydney, Uruk, Panama, Yorin, Tangier, Carlin, Ingraya, Primus, Nanking (s), Facin (s), Nanking (s), Yarin (s, Facin adjacent, opposite Varni), Elena (s), Centauri (s)
* Add Veratek System -- has one Confed jump point, two Kilrathi jump points.
* Add Astoria (front lines somewhere)
* Add Megaron (one jump from Nephele?)
* Add ?->Sheol->Baroda->Troy
* Add Veratek System (one Confed jump, two Kilrathi jumps)
* Add Etruria Sector (w/ Grovsner Colonies)
* Fill out Hari Space
* Mark Charybdis Jumps
* Add the Tri-System (Isaac, Irrulan, Hom).
* Mark Pilgrim systems.
* Mark alternate sector names.
* Do alternate versions (full sector, full map, printable)
* Reactivate archive.
* Do a map key.

Originally posted by Ghost
I think that the tri-system could be *above* Clark Quadrant, Gemini Sector.

hehehe...yeah...we had this discussion one time....

Really, the Tri-System could very well go anywhere. I've been thinking, and actually LOAF's suggestion of Engima isn't bad. That puts it in a pretty "high traffic" area (in the sense that it's in a quadrant with Confed, BW, and Kilrathi worlds...), and it's relatively close to Earth.

Either way, it's good.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

hehehe...yeah...we had this discussion one time....

Really, the Tri-System could very well go anywhere. I've been thinking, and actually LOAF's suggestion of Engima isn't bad. That puts it in a pretty "high traffic" area (in the sense that it's in a quadrant with Confed, BW, and Kilrathi worlds...), and it's relatively close to Earth.

Either way, it's good.

But the Tri-System must be in an isolated part of the WCU.

But the Tri-System must be in an isolated part of the WCU.

"isolated" can mean many things....maybe there's just not a jump point connecting the Tri-System with anything else...

EDIT -

Oh yeah, and LOAF.....Oasis is in kind of an odd area, isn't it? In the Landreich of all places?! Shouldn't it be easily accesible to both the Kilrathi and the Confederation?

So how the Talon reached it?
And the Confed?
And isolated means...isolated...

That ship probably wasn't a Talon....the ship would be like, a hundred years old that point....it just looked like a Talon....

And being close to Earth, yet isolated by not having a jump point works out pretty good....Pilgrims used hopper drives, thus not needing a jump point. The Pilgrims would have actually made initial contact with the Tri-System. Confed can still get there, it's just a pain in the arse.

The Pilgrims :(
Don´t presume too much...
But if you do,me too!
And i don´t think that 100 years in the future, the Confed uses Hooper drives,AFAIK there could be a jump point leading outside the Tri-system, isn´t marked in the map because the people in the tri-system don´t like to use it or they don´t have the technology, Confed could use it some times, but not too much for trading and some other things.
If the Pilgrims had knowledge of the Tri-system surely the Confed know that after the Pilgrim War.

The Tri-System is supposed to be in “an isolated section” of the WC universe. Since Origin was obviously trying to say something distinctive about the location, the phrase has to mean more than just some part of a sector like Enigma or Sol, because in that case every other system in such a sector could likewise be described as being in “an isolated section” of the WC universe. Space is space, after all. The Tri-System should therefore be placed in a wholly new would-be sector/quadrant, by itself or with only very few other systems, perhaps with no clear (or at this time known) connection to any other sector.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^:

....the ship would be like, a hundred years old that point...

We don’t really know how old it would be.:)

The Tri-System is supposed to be in “an isolated section” of the WC universe. Since Origin was obviously trying to say something distinctive about the location, the phrase has to mean more than just some part of a sector like Enigma or Sol, because in that case every other system in such a sector could likewise be described as being in “an isolated section” of the WC universe. Space is space, after all. The Tri-System should therefore be placed in a wholly new would-be sector/quadrant, by itself or with only very few other systems, perhaps with no clear (or at this time known) connection to any other sector.

Well, the obvious solution to the 'isolated' comment is simply not to create a jump line to the rest of the Wing Commander map.

That ship probably wasn't a Talon....the ship would be like, a hundred years old that point....it just looked like a Talon....

It was a Talon (or a Gratha...). Afterall, how old is the Scimitar in WC1 (more than 100 years old...).

And being close to Earth, yet isolated by not having a jump point works out pretty good....Pilgrims used hopper drives, thus not needing a jump point. The Pilgrims would have actually made initial contact with the Tri-System. Confed can still get there, it's just a pain in the arse.

Pilgrims used jump drives when they became available -- it's just that in the early days of space exploration *everyone* used hopper drives.

Oh yeah, and LOAF.....Oasis is in kind of an odd area, isn't it? In the Landreich of all places?! Shouldn't it be easily accesible to both the Kilrathi and the Confederation?

All the WCA systems are there (look closely:))... Landreich/Hralgkrak seemed to be the best place for WCA -- it's the one point on the map where the two sides are bordered that the Kilrathi 'won't assign major forces to' (I guess I could see adding a line to make Oasis closer to the Kilrathi, though...).

I think that the tri-system could be *above* Clark Quadrant, Gemini Sector.

That's where Etruria is going to go, IIRC.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

All the WCA systems are there (look closely:))... Landreich/Hralgkrak seemed to be the best place for WCA -- it's the one point on the map where the two sides are bordered that the Kilrathi 'won't assign major forces to' (I guess I could see adding a line to make Oasis closer to the Kilrathi, though...).

Also, shouldn't Oasis be neutral.....being a part of the Landreich is hardly neutral....(or does that purple stand for Landreich/Neutral?)

Well, the obvious solution to the 'isolated' comment is simply not to create a jump line to the rest of the Wing Commander map.

Except in that case calling it “isolated systems” would have sufficed. My own first impression was that it meant segregation from other occupied or “claimed” regions of space. I know that’s parsing it to the max (or near to:)), but we’re told so little, and until we’re told more and better, having each word pull as much “weight” as possible gives us richer interpretations IMHO.

Originally posted by Nemesis

Except in that case calling it “isolated systems” would have sufficed. My own first impression was that it meant segregation from other occupied or “claimed” regions of space. I know that’s parsing it to the max (or near to:)), but we’re told so little, and until we’re told more and better, having each word pull as much “weight” as possible gives us richer interpretations IMHO.

Well, we COULD do that and make the P2 universe totally and completely unrelated to the rest of WC.....OR we could put it somewhere and just isolate it....

Well, we COULD do that and make the P2 universe totally and completely unrelated to the rest of WC.....

I don’t know about “unrelated”. There’s also the other half of Origin’s statement describing the Tri-System as “not currently a part of the Confederation”. To squeeze that language too for all it’s worth, either the Tri-System was once a part of the Confederation or is destined to be so. (Personally, I’d prefer the latter.) Consequently, it shouldn’t be impossible to “reach”. (And perhaps “someone” in a Talon/Gratha did.)

....OR we could put it somewhere and just isolate it....

Certainly we can put it “inside” Confed or Kilrathi or UBW, etc. space, but deciding to put it “outside” at least has the virtue of being defensible as canon. That is, we can propose a reasonable interpretation of Origin’s reference to “an isolated section” that supports our decision (to the best of our present knowledge!).

To be sure, though, this is a pretty small point in the context of the larger map, which is a really great contribution. Cheers to LOAF.:)

Also, shouldn't Oasis be neutral.....being a part of the Landreich is hardly neutral....(or does that purple stand for Landreich/Neutral?)

Yup, good point -- changed.

The Trk'Pahn full sector map is missing.

I'll fix all the full and printable sectors later -- when the map is a bit more stable.

Changes:

* Added Ceti Prime to the Sol Sector

* Added Veratek, Tangier and Primus to the Epsilon Sector.

* Added the Muspelheim System to the Enigma Sector, close to Gwynedd (so Blair could go there in 2659)

* Added the Carlin System to the Vega Sector, 'near' McAuliffe.

* Fixed Oasis error.

* Charybdis jumps added. See? They have 'C's!

* Alternate Action Stations Sectors. Based on logic (woo!), Vega=Nanking, Epsilon=Yarin and Enigma=Facin. Adding these systems!

* I've put Baroda and Sheol in the Challenger Quadrant (Avalon Sector). It's near Gemini... and it's kind of neat that the weird jump formations from Privateer might be related to whatever caused the Dallas System anomaly (middle managers?).

* Grovsner and Etruria added to the Trk'pahn Sector (ooh, grey)... seemed like the most sensible opposite flank without editing Gemini (general rule: don't edit Gemini).

To Do List:

Phase III
- List alternate sector names.
- Add alternate versions.
- Reactivate archive.
- Add map key.
- Add the Tri-System (Isaac, Irrulan, Hom).

Phase IV
* Fill out Hari Space

Systems to Add:

Perillia - Border Worlds, Catscratch's home system.
Verula - Wherever.
Ulsima - Wherever.
Anatic Prime - Wherever.
Logo - Confed(?) - Border area(?)
Astoria - Front lines!
Altair - Sol Sector
Uruk (s) - 'north' (Vega, IMO)
Panama - 'behind the lines'
Yorin - near Yarin?
Ingraya -
Elena (s) - ???
Centauri (s) - ???

Hmm, I notice that you've now made Oasis the same colour as the unexplored systems. That's one way of solving it, I guess, but it might be better to give it a completely different colour. After all, it's not really an unexplored system but an independent 'nation'.

Back