AGP 2.0 question...

Preacher

Swabbie
Banned
Greetings. Here's a question for you hardcore graphics card mavens:

I was given a mobo w/ an AGP 1.0 slot (1x/2x). If I just bought a card that is AGP 2.0 spec (1x/2x/4x), can it still RUN on the AGP 1.0 slotted mobo - albeit at lesser performance level - or will I totally get a black screen when I attempt to boot up w/ this scenario in place?...

My thought is, I got such a great bargain on this card that I can live with the lesser performance for a couple months until I can afford a new mobo that can really put it thru its paces. ...'Course, if such configuration won't even run at ALL, then I'll just take a pass on the card and return it. Plz help me out here. Thx

Depends on the card. You won't notice much of a performance hit... the important difference is in the voltage the card operates at. AGP 1.0 was 3.3V, 2.0 is 1.5V. Most cards that have been produced over the past few years have been Universal AGP. That means you can use them in either slot type, because the cards can work with 3.3 or 1.5. (Normally a 1.0 only card won't even fit in a 2.0 only slot, or vice versa). Universal AGP cards have a connector that's in three sections

|_____| |___| |_____|

Back