Afterburner Fuel

Originally posted by Madman
...the problem comes merely in making a turbine efficient enough to push the steam out fast enough to create a sufficient thrust.

Rocket propulsion doesn't involve turbines, IIRC, just quick and efficient expelsion of gases for thrust.

Good example: the movie October Sky. It gets pretty involved in illustrating rocket science.

Impulse propulsion, the type used in Wing Commander and some other science fiction universes, does need a type of turbine. You need something to create the right electromagnetic field that will push the ions and particles in the right direction. If you don't, you find yoruself drifting aimlessly in space.

Originally posted by Talyn 83
Algebra kicks ass. Well, my ass at least. :D

And Battler Hawke's too, it would seem. :D

your being to kind. it ripped me head off and spite down my throught.(i know i misspelled the word i have not taken spelling yet.;) )

WC's impulse-drive is technically speaking an ion-drive, just like the one on the deep space 1 probe (maybe check out the nasa website). It's powered by electricity, but I don't know how it's generated. Current fossile fuels just won't do for advanced space travel. That's been established a long time ago.

Algebra will do that, BH.

Yeah, but that is Power-related. Not Drive-related.
Don't be stupid.
Talyn 83
It's powered by electricity, but I don't know how it's generated. Current fossile fuels just won't do for advanced space travel. That's been established a long time ago.
Bandit LOAF
WC's drive takes in hydrogen using an electromagnetic ramscoop, though.
Get it? Try reading threads carefully next time so you don't go making belligerent remarks like that and end up looking like a fool.

I didn't intend it to be belligerent.If anyone feels insulted, I'm sorry. And take your own advice, Frosty. In the beginning of this thread, we were talking about the power-system. It uses hydrogen. However, the ion-drive doesnot directly use the water. The fusion generator takes in the hydrogen and converts it into power which in turn is used for powering the ion-drive. But the drive doesn't expell hydrogen particles.

It uses hydrogen. However, the ion-drive doesnot directly use the water.
Water?
The fusion generator takes in the hydrogen and converts it into power which in turn is used for powering the ion-drive. But the drive doesn't expell hydrogen particles.
Yeah well I put gasoline in my car to power the engine, but gasoline doesn't come flooding out the tailpipe. That doesn't mean that there's some othery mysterious fuel source at work making my car move.

I meant Hydrogen. It is basically the same thing, you know.
And as you may have noticed, there's a tiny little difference between your car and a multi-million dollar spaceship. In a car, you can't seperate these things. In WC-style ships you can. Or do you think your car's engine is made of one giant piece? Your ship can be damaged on both the reactor and the ion-drive. The reactor uses the hydrogen, the engine uses the power from the reactor, but not the hydrogen.
Your tailpipe doesn't make your car move. The wheels do. The engine uses the fuel to make your axes (and your wheels) turn (thus creating ENERGY), and your wheels' spinning makes the car move. And I don't suppose you count your wheels as being part of your engine, do you?

No, they aren´t
Try to drink Hydrogen, or doing any Chemical/Physical reaction
Or Carbon and CO2 are the same thing?

Okay, okay. It's just I mix the terms up sometimes. I meant to say hydrogen. And of course, you're right. Pure water is only 66% hydrogen. Ya got me there. :rolleyes:

I've been trying to avoid that mistake for 4 years now, but my chemistry teacher still catches me making it every single week.

It's a bug in the dutch language. Water is Water and Hydrogen is Waterstof . Pretty confusing sometimes.

Yeah, maybe on the Stupid Planet, but here on Earth, they're not the same.
And as you may have noticed, there's a tiny little difference between your car and a multi-million dollar spaceship.
Quit deliberately missing the point. The craft uses Hydrogen as a fuel. Ultimately the drive system is powered by hydrogen, and ultimately, you're wrong and we're right, so sit down.

Let's just say it's a matter of opinion. I'm looking at it from the engineer's point of view. You're looking at it through a pilot's eyes. You see the ship as a whole, I see it as loose components. Agree on that?

BTW: there's no need for insulting me. Surely not right after I had withdrawn that statement.

ramjets

Ramjet is a little different. It doesn't use fusion. They tested a Ramjet-plane a while back in earth's upper atmosphere, but It didn't work thanks too the problem Lynx described.
I was under the impression that atmospheric ramjets are quite well established. The SR-71 uses ramjets (or did, before it was retired)

Or did you mean in the really far upper atmosphere, like in the mesosphere or thermosphere?

AFAIK, Scramjets are the current new thing that isn't quite worked out yet..

Re: ramjets

Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru
I was under the impression that atmospheric ramjets are quite well established. The SR-71 uses ramjets (or did, before it was retired)
The SR-71's powerplants are Pratt & Whitney JT11D-20B afterburning thrust bleed turbojets, which, I believe, are classified as "turbo ramjets."

You are right..
Two conventional, but very powerful, afterburning turbine engines propelled this remarkable aircraft. These power plants had to operate across a huge speed envelope in flight, from a takeoff speed of 334 kph (207 mph) to more than 3,540 kph (2,200 mph).
Yet later on the page this was from I read this:
Two A-12s were modified to carry a special reconnaissance drone, designated D-21. The modified A-12s were redesignated M-21s. These were designed to take off with the D-21 drone, powered by a Marquart ramjet engine mounted on a pylon between the rudders. The M-21 then hauled the drone aloft and launched it at speeds high enough to ignite the drone's ramjet motor.
So the sr-71 may not have used them, but they have been used..

[edit]that page being: http://www.nasm.edu/nasm/aero/aircraft/lockheed_sr71.htm [/edit]

Talyn, ion drives is a type of impulse engine. If you read my post, you would notice that I meanted particles AND ions. WC drives strip the Hydrogen atoms of their electrons, making them protons and other hydrogen ions, so they can be used in the fussion reactor. Some of the ions and protons are send out in pulses or matter as exaust. The process that creates this exhaust is refered to as "impulse" propulsion. Read a physics book sometimes. It helps.

Originally posted by Meson
Talyn, ion drives is a type of impulse engine. If you read my post, you would notice that I meanted particles AND ions. WC drives strip the Hydrogen atoms of their electrons, making them protons and other hydrogen ions, so they can be used in the fussion reactor. Some of the ions and protons are send out in pulses or matter as exaust. The process that creates this exhaust is refered to as "impulse" propulsion. Read a physics book sometimes. It helps.

Okay okay, right off the bat, I am extremely ignorant of how an impulse drive works (but I am quite interested and have been for years).

So, it's sending out the leftover Hydrogen protons and ions in pulses (bursts?) and what of the rest? You mentioned a fusion reactor... does the hydrogen get used to create cold fusion or something...?

I apologize for my ignorance :p

Back