Aesthetics ... Which WC Do You Like Best?

Originally posted by Eder
As for ship designs, my favorite is WC2, Privateer gets second place (close call!)... I really liked those cartoonish ships, I think the necessity for low-poly models in WC3-4 made the ships kind of lose their characteristics IMHO... Sure, the Banshee, Bearcat, and Excalibur are nice, but the Arrow is just a prism with winglets, and the Longbow is SOOO boxy!
According lead designer Chris Douglas, the Confed ships in WCIII were all based to varying degrees on contemporary aircraft. For example, the Excalibur is clearly derived the YF-23 Black Widow (the loser to the YF-22 Raptor in the USAF ATF competition, despite being an overall better craft). The Longbow gets its roots from the B-29 Superfortress, the Arrow from the A-7E Corsair II and F-8 Crusader, etc.

Originally posted by The_Gneech

Aesthetics ... Which WC Do You Like Best?
I think there was a poll on wcnews.com about this one...

Majority voted Wing IV IIRC...

That's my favourite as well... awesome cinematics, excellent acting, great gameplay...

A special prize for WC1, nostalgia-wise... ;)

(...) I'm a cartoonist (...)
Really? That's cool... I did some cartooning myself a while ago...
I'm going to get a WC comic I made scanned pretty soon (depends on Sadic's availability in fact :D )...

Ever done anything WC related?

Let's keep in mind that the question for this thread wasn't which game did you like the best, but which game do you think was aesthetically (visually) the best. It's an important distinction.

For example, I mentioned that I think WCIV has the best-looking cutscenes and WCP is the best in flight. But, I think WCIII is the best overall game in the series, when all aspects are considered.

Humm, aesthetically speaking, wcIV was my fav for inflight, but In my opinion the overall aesthetic appeal is greatest in wc2. Inflight graphics may not be up to wcIV but they holdup, WcII beats out wcIV once you take into account some of wcII's animated cutscences though. It's certianly a close call though.

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
Let's keep in mind that the question for this thread wasn't which game did you like the best, but which game do you think was aesthetically (visually) the best. It's an important distinction.
You're right... didn't read the question very carefully... sorry! :)

WC4 is still the best IMHO, however... :D

I'll agree that Prophecy had the best in-flight graphics, just a shame that the ships didn't have the look of the rest of the WC universe. I hated the on-ship graphics though, the Midway looked horribly plastic.

WCIV had the cut-scenes and on-ship graphics though, the damaged state of the Intrepid seemed to sum up your position in the game, back against the wall etc.

WC1 had a similar look and feel, and for it's time was excellent.

Super WC was even worse than Prophecy for the on-ship graphics.

Originally posted by mpanty
I'm going to get a WC comic I made scanned pretty soon (depends on Sadic's availability in fact)

A WC comic? Hmmm that should be pretty cool... Hurry up, Sadic, will ya? ;)

--Eder

Some of my strongest memories have been from the first two.There was something about them. Perhaps it was the
slightly colonial style uniforms in Wc2 ,or the moody,dare I say profound,feel present in the piano solos of Jazz,or
the World War 2 feel which enshrouded the first one.All the Wing games nailed the aesthetics well,But the first two,
perhaps out of nostalgia,still have the strongest impact on me in their atmosphere.Privateer was also excellent.I also
enjoyed the aesthetics of Privateer 2.It was, at times,humerous and a little bizarre,but the world was very interesting.
Priv3(first incarnation), from the few screenshots we got,looked incredible.It's to bad that it was canceled.

Well if we're talking for their time, hands down it is WC III. I remember clearly when it came out. The requirements were rather steap and it needed all of 12 MBs of ram to run. (trust me it wouldnt work on 8 even with the best bootdisc). In addition it really need a pentium to ran smooth. At the time there was nothing else like it. Yes WC4 was great too, but it wasnt a leap forward, just a refinement. WCP, ehh we'd entered the 3D card age then (barely) and other games pumped out great graphics.
WC1 is the only other game that rivals WC3 in this area in my opinion, but with the interactive video thrown in, 3 wins.

herb_co

herb_co: Its been a while but I definitely remember playing WC3 on a 486 DX4 100 MHz with 8MB of RAM with and without a bootdisk. Performance was always good, though the sound did go off every now and again.

Without a boot? That's pretty impressive. I played it on a 486/80 with 8 Megs and needed a bootdisk. That 20 Mhzs made the difference I guess. :D

I got you both beat. For a time, I played WCIII on a 486/66 with 8Mb RAM. Didn't run too bad -- about 16 fps in flight -- but it certainly was much better when I got that P133/32Mb system. :)

And I can beat you... first played it on my friend's 386/40... it *barely* ran at all -- literally took fifteen minutes to load a mission and it was nearly impossible to maneuver your fighter.

Still, that intro movie played (with many, many pauses) and astounded us all:)

Well, I played wc3 for the first time on my p2 333, I still enjoy playing it now.... I reckon WC can't ever truly die, cause it IS that good.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Still, that intro movie played (with many, many pauses) and astounded us all:)
Amen to that. The intro movie alone was what prompted me to get a computer about 6 months sooner than I had planned.

Originally posted by herb_co
Well if we're talking for their time, hands down it is WC III. I remember clearly when it came out. The requirements were rather steap and it needed all of 12 MBs of ram to run. (trust me it wouldnt work on 8 even with the best bootdisc)

herb_co

worked on my Pentium 75mhz w/ 8 megs of ram :p

Back