Advice to Defeat Fralthra in Ghorah Khar 2-D (Final Mission of SO 1)

ImacDcptn

Spaceman
Hey,
Having finally gotten a copy of KS, I've breezed through WC 1, SM, and WC 2, but I cannot for the life of me beat Ghorah Khar 2-D, the final mission of SO 1. I can fairly easily and consistently destroy all the Gothris at "Task Force" without taking any significant damage, leaving me at the very last part of the mission. However, I am always killed (in one hit) by the Fralthras' anti-matter guns. I have tried this mission perhaps a hundred times, and it almost always ends the same way, excepting the one time in ten or so that one of my wingmen succeeds in his efforts to kill me.
Therefore, I'm wondering if there's any strategy or trick to beating the Fralthras, or if I just have to put together four torpedo runs and hope they miss 12 times in a row (ever notice how those anti-matter guns are impossible to dodge if you want to maintain your lock?) I noticed that one time one of my wingmen, whom I can usually keep alive until the Gothris are dead, managed to kill one Fralthra. I also definitely observed one Fralthra kill the other once, but my target track was destroyed directly after that (and besides, my shield generator had been destroyed already,) rendering the mission impossible. At any rate, I have found both these events to be unreporducable; my wingmen are generally all taken-out by flak seconds after the last Gothri is killed, and I have never been able to get one Fralthra to hit the other again.
However, these are the only times I've managed to kill even one of the Fralthras. I am reasonably confident that, if I could kill one Fralthra, I could kill both (in a shielded craft,) since killing one at a time entails dodging only two one-hit kill shots per run, rather than four. Therefore, any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Ah the joys of SO.... where the big kitties actually use the big guns that they were given. Yeah that target lock is a pain in the butt to maintain. The way I did it (after failing a few times) is as follows -

I pulled out to the maximum range of the torps and slowed to just above the Fralthra's speed... I think I was moving something like 175 kps, might have been higher, it was quite a while ago. The target started locking, and sure enough, near the end of my target lock, I see the anti-matter shots coming. BUT - the distance advantage worked for me... it required only a minor adjustment in course to dodge the incoming shot as there was a greater distance between us. I was able to defeat the Fralthra's this way - HOWEVER - I also tried and failed a few times doing something nearly identical.

By the way - I've heard that if you stick to the rear that they don't fire those guns off at you. Anybody know if this is true?

Flash's explanation is how you're supposed to do it. Once you find the right angle at wich you can still maintain lock , it becomes easy, but it took some practice for me too.
Also important is you have wait to fire you torp until you're close enough else it can be shot down & as it take 2 torp hit to finish him off, you have get out of range again to recharge your shields before you fire the 2nd one. Don't turn around, but just fly past the Fralthra and don't forget to turn if he fires his blue shit at you. Switch to your rear turret to keep an eye out for this!
FlashFire82 said:
By the way - I've heard that if you stick to the rear that they don't fire those guns off at you. Anybody know if this is true?
I don't think this is true, the anti-matter gun can fire in any direction (720 degrees)
Maybe not 100% perfectly behind him, but he turns too quickly anyway to maintain that position long enough to fire your torps

This mission has always been a bear to complete. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can actually split the antimatter shot (i.e. fly in between the two large blue balls) but more often than not, it takes numerous torpedo run setups before you get the right timing to land a torp on the thing's armor. Many's the time that my poor Sabre really shouldn't have been spaceworthy on the flight back to the Concordia at the end of this mission.

IMHO there are only two very important tactics to apply here:
a) Choose a flight angel that aligns the two capships. That way the one that is farther away cannot hit you ase the other one blocks its line of sight (it might actually damage it when trying).
b) Aquire target lock at very very far range. Then close at full speed. If you cannot dodge the AMG withour loosing lock the dodge, fly out of range, recharge shields and repeat. Yes this can need 20 tries and more, but its really pretty much riskless.

That's another important part that should be brought up... that torp can be shot down, and if you're fighting in SO... there's a good chance it will be, especially if you fire it off at full range. If you can close at least half the distance between the point where you locked the target, and the target itself, I think that you might have a 75% chance of a hit.

Putting one Fralthra behind the other in your approach is also important, there's a good chance the AI won't be smart enough to not fire at it's buddy in the way.

IIRC I pulled this one off on my first go at it. How? Well, the trick is to get your lock at maximum range, then close SLOWLY. Wait until they both fire antimatter, and dodge. If you can maintain the lock while dodging, punch your burners, drop a torp at point-blank range and keep on flying at full afterburn. You can outrun antimatter shots this way, and once you're clear, repeat. If dodging the antimatter shot costs you the lock, then back off and try it again. That's about all I can give you.

Back