Advantages to the "real world" (A Matrix thing)

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
So, there seem to be quite a few Matrix fans here, and something has been going through my mind about the fight to shut off the matrix. What's the motivation. It's been awhile since I saw the first one (only once in a theater) and if, once you're free from the matrix, do you live longer or something. Because if you have the same life span as inside the matrix, what's the point of leaving, since the matrix is nicer? Well, thanks in advance to anyone that can shed light on this.

oh i donno about that free bit... seems you're pretty free in the matrix. no less free than us in 'real life'.

-scheherazade

More free in fact. I mean, given the choice, I would definetely choose the Matrix seeing that so far no one has given me an advantage to the real world. Would you?

The explanation is a bit prior to all that. The way I see it, certain people eventually notice that reality isn't quite holding up (think Jim Carey in Truman Show). These people experiment and eventually determine that the thing's fake, and when this comes to light, they have Agents running around trying to kill them and whatnot. So the motivation is that they must escape the Matrix to survive, because the Matrix doesn't function if it's full of people who know the world isn't real and can go around manipulating it.

Originally posted by Mav23
More free in fact. I mean, given the choice, I would definetely choose the Matrix seeing that so far no one has given me an advantage to the real world. Would you?

Probably, and the traitor guy in the first one agrees.

What's the motivation. It's been awhile since I saw the first one (only once in a theater) and if, once you're free from the matrix, do you live longer or something. Because if you have the same life span as inside the matrix, what's the point of leaving, since the matrix is nicer?

Let me ask you a question. If
a) Drugs were free
b) Drugs were legal
c) Drugs wouldn't be addicting/unhealthy

Would you like to be constantly high as life would be a lot nicer?

Yes. Especiallialy if they weren't unhealthy.

The only time I wouldn't want to be high was when it affected my judgement to a point where it could endanger my life.

I would escape from the Matrix just to join the free humans and be able to jump and fly like them. I've always wanted to do that sort of things (since I read my first X-Men comic book) and I think I could pay the price of having agents on my back all the times.
And about the drug thing, well, there are a lot of ways to be high without them (I don't have anything against those who use them, I did it too when I was younger) so If I where into the Matrix the last thing I'll do, would be get high. Probably, I'll try to drive a Lamborgini Diablo at 240 Km/h first, without care about the cops!

Yes. Especiallialy if they weren't unhealthy.

I think the point Karl was trying to make is that many people wouldn't.. because what you'd be experiencing wouldn't let you see reality. Quite a good analogy in this situation. Drugs can make you feel good and bad, and life in the Matrix could as well.. no different from in Zion, but in Zion things are real.

The only time I wouldn't want to be high was when it affected my judgement to a point where it could endanger my life.

Which could be any and every moment.. but that's besides the point.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
I think the point Karl was trying to make is that many people wouldn't.. because what you'd be experiencing wouldn't let you see reality. Quite a good analogy in this situation. Drugs can make you feel good and bad, and life in the Matrix could as well.. no different from in Zion, but in Zion things are real.

Phew - at least one person got it. :)

Personally I am very much against clouding by mind with anything. I didn't ever take any illegal drugs of course and don't plan to. Also didn't touch any cigarette and was never drunk (boring me, no? ;-) ) .
I can have as much fun without them and I most certainly wouldn't want to take anything to forget a depression as it won't solve stuff only make it worse.

But everyone as he likes it (at least as long as he doesn't enforce it upon me - hi tobacco industry ;) )

the thing a lot of people seem to forget about all of this is when you are born into the matrix you DON'T KNOW you can fly, all you experience is the world as it was at the end of the 20th century, a boring shitty place, now if the matrix gave people the freedom to fly and change things etc and people were given the choice of staying or leaving, most people would stay, who wants to live in the shit real world anyway? but the matrix does NOT give you that option, instead, you can either live a normal life in the matrix, or you can exit the matrix and gain "powers" within the matrix, but the price you pay is having the ai always trying to kill you. there is no real advantage either way.

I don'y think the two options left if you live in the matrix are that bad. I mean, yeah, you don't know that what you're living is a lie (in the first case) but still you can be happy doing what a normal people do, as falling in love, go to the movies, play Privateer :) etc., and in the second choice (if you get out and start being chase by the AI) well, hasn't any of you ever wanted to live as in an action movie, doing things that only people like 007 do? High speed chases, fights, and all of this kind of things? In my personal opinion, I always wanted to have adventures as Indiana Jones or Bruce Willis (in Hard to Die movies). Of course, I don't complain about my "normal" life anyway.

But I also think that the movie has a special message (well, a lot, but one in particular) about that duality of "life choices". The main character has to decide wich pill to take, and in real life we also do. I mean, one pill to forget everything and continue with a normal life, or another pill to face realty and fight to change it. Haven't we all taked that option? You can live your life normally and do what other people do, and be numb and happy, or you can "take the pill and face reality" wich I think it means to think by yourself, start reading the newspapers, care about policy, about things as globalization or ecology, and "fight" to change what you don't like (in my personal case that would be intolerance, stupidity, fascism, etc) to make the world a better place. But of course, that's just my opinion and what I understood about the movie ;)

Back