Admiral Tolwyn

I remember reading from one of the novels, that Tolwyn didn't know about Paladin's T-Bomb, and if he did, he would have thrown everything into it. He was really against the Behemoth. He rushed the Behemoth because of the Belasirus Group.

That was in relation to Paladin pleading Blair's innocence. It was meant to be all on Blair.

"You can’t depend on him. Ask anyone who served on the Tiger’s Claw… if you can find any of them. They’re rather scarce these days."

Should have talked to Angel's XO, the one who volunteered to fly with Blair. ;)

Tolwyn's right...trechery woudn't be out of the question. Confed put some pies in the Mandarins (Scorpion) and maybe destroy them from inside. But was the Behemoth a part of covert ops? I'm not sure.

Chris Blair said:
I remember reading from one of the novels, that Tolwyn didn't know about Paladin's T-Bomb, and if he did, he would have thrown everything into it. He was really against the Behemoth. He rushed the Behemoth because of the Belasirus Group.

Oh really? Well, that's certainly interesting, in so far as it throws in the face of Tolwyn's comment on "what would you aim for if you had the biggest gun in the universe" and Kevin's talk about his uncle and the Behemoth in the novel. Something about not stopping with Kilrah i think it was. Can you remember any more about Tolwyn's opposition to the Benemoth?

Phillip Tanaka said:
Can you remember any more about Tolwyn's opposition to the Benemoth?
Its from False Colors IIRC, Tolwyn confessing to Bear, very long section but I don;t remember what was said.

C-ya

Tolwyn went into an explaination of how he found out about B. group, and how he wanted to use Behemoth to ruin their motive for taking over. However, directly after that, the book subtly revealed that Tolwyn was telling half-truths to Bear, and gave a hint to the real things you saw in him in TPOF.

I doubt anyone has a really clear view of Tolwyn.. He was designed that way, and the books didn't get a real good chance to bridge the gap from pompous admiral to what we see of him in WC4. It's really unfortunate that the "False Colors" trilogy won't be completed.

Is there a copy of the outlines anywhere? Maybe someone could be convinced to finish the trilogy in the original authors place . . God rest his soul and whatnot

I finally found the quote, here it is (for those who haven't read False Colors, SPOILER), (Also its on page 194)>.
'Tolwyn paused. "I'd just been assigned to the Weapons Development Office when Concordia went down. I inherited Behemoth from Ubarov, who had the post before me. Frankly, my first reaction was to scrap the damned thing then and there. The design was all wrong, for one thing. It should have been mouted aboard a ship that could defend itself effectively... and one that had some legs, to, so it could maneuver in a combat situation. Behemoth didn't have either capability. And I didn't like the whole concept of blasting planets indiscriminately, either. It always seemed to me that marked a difference between us and Thrakhat was that we had at least a modicum of morality on our side, and this was putting us on the very same level as him."' (Skipping a bit.)
'Understanding dawned. "To get the war over as quickly as you could," Bondarevsky said slowly.
"Exactly," Tolwyn said. "I figured the only way to head off a coup was to remove the only excuse the conspirators had. End the war by whatever means possible, and the civilian government wouldn't be in a postion to screw things up so much any longer. If I'd've known about Paladin's Temblor Bomb Project I would have thrown all my department's resources into backing him. But his operation was strictly black, top secret all the way."'

Back