adding capships/corvettes in SO

Smoothie

Spaceman
After some more rooting around the SO data.tre I came across the research vessel, it has the mesh file and the mat textures but I cant get it to work in the game. Ive used wcpedit 1.8 to add it to the list of ships but I get this error "invalid floating point operation" I think this could be because I need a ship.iff file which holds the all the stats. I checked killerwaves model conversion tutorial but im alittle confused....any advice?

I think that you could learn basically a bit of wcpascal to test the ships.
If you can write a single mission to the simulator you are enabled to test ships quickly.

A year or so before UE was finished, I asked KillerWave to get the science vessel working (the plan being to have such a ship hanging around Beaufort, just for variety's sake). However, this turned out to be practically impossible - there's something screwy in its mesh, and there was always a lot of collision-related problems (although it was functional enough to work as a cutscene-only ship).

Anyway, I'd be quite willing to provide you with the version that KW made for me if you PM me with your email address. But the only way to get the science vessel properly working, IMO, would be to make the model from scratch, using the current version as reference.

BTW, you do not need to add a ship to ship.iff in order to use it. This file exists for two purposes - first, to define which ship gets which VDU, and second, to allow you to spawn ships. If you don't mind your ship not getting the correct VDU (and this is seldom an important issue when you're just testing stuff), and you don't need to spawn it (which is also generally not necessary when you're just testing stuff), then you do not need to touch ship.iff. Furthermore, ship.iff only includes ordinary ships - it does not include capships. So, if you're working on a capship (as is the case here), you can forget about ship.iff altogether.

Back