Action Stations and Fleet Action are the same book.

Wildshot

Spaceman
I just finished reading Action Stations(I had already read Fleet Action a while ago) and the books are pretty damn similar if you ask me. Both involve a secret undercover Confed mission to uncover plans for a Kilrathi anbush during a time of peace. Both missions originated from the Landreich and returned to wanr the Landreich that a little bonus fleet was heading their way before moving on to warn the Confed fleet of the main attack heading their way. Both tell how Confed was caught completely off guard by a surprise ambush of Kilrathi, and both tell of how from this apparent defeat, a stalemate was achieved. The way the books were timed was even similar(as in where in the book certain events happened). I for one was dissapointed, how did you all react?

they are not in any way and they were both dealing with semi-established WC stuff. there were critical differences between them like how the "undercover mission" in AS was only a few people vs. the huge 2 carrier undercover mission in FA and also it was different becuase AS dealt with a surprise attack wereas the Confederation in FA had like a few weeks warning

when I said they were the same book, I was exagerrating.

What I mean they are extremely similar, and I'm dissapointed they couldn't have made one more different to make the series more enjoyable.

All they did was write books about stuff that actually happened to confed. I think the fans would have been pissed if the authors had tried to change confeds history. I Know I would be.

While I recognize simularities in the two novels, history has a lovely way of repeating it's self.

Repeating it's self.

Repeating it's self.

It's a toss up which book I perfer. I'm going through AS again, and it's a better written book and (for some reason I have yet to explain) I love the parts on Gar's smuggling outpost and the moments before the final battle.

FA, however, was the first WC book that I actually stayed up late to finish. I did the last 50 pages in 30 minutes at 2 o'clock in the morning. I just like FA's widespread sense of chaos.:D

I find it strange that people, particularly in the U.S., can't find the novels. I see 'em all the time (with the exception, of couse, of ER... no, wait, I do see it all the time!) at bookstores here.

Hey, I have trouble finding Action Stations too...

On amazon.com you can only find it used version, it's not in the "new" section... :(

Actually I have had a hard time finding any Wing Commander books at my local bookstores. I look every time I am there. I knew Amazon had Action Stations, but never ordered it. Then about 2 weeks ago I went into Borders and was checking out the Star Wars books I haven't read and looked down and saw two WC books I never read. Action Stations and False Colors. Actions Stations was good and I noticed the similiarites of that to Fleet Action. Fleet Action is still my favorite, but I did like the character Winston Turner in Action Stations. It does show how history does repeat itself over and over.

Right now I am reading False Colors. Decent book. About half way done. Good reading while I am going to work every morning.

Originally posted by Dralthi5
I find it strange that people, particularly in the U.S., can't find the novels. I see 'em all the time (with the exception, of couse, of ER... no, wait, I do see it all the time!) at bookstores here.

You have to realized that some of the books are out of print. That is they are not making any more.

Part of a recent interview I gave to Forstchen:

- Would you be interested in/do you forsee writing further Wing Commander novels?

To be honest, no. Have disagreed with some of the directions taken in Wing Commander and also the issue of payment which is no longer sufficient. This is regretful since I did have a grand time writing the books, especially the stand alone ones such as Fleet Action and End Run. I've worked in several other "worlds" such as Wizard's Magic, Star Trek NG and a co authored book with Ray Feist set in his Rift War. In general, (except for Feist) the experience has been extremely frustrating. You don't own the copyright on what is in fact your work, at times you'll see less creative people without an original thought then take your ideas and distort them or claim them as their own or jerk you around with demands that you deliver "A" but then at the last minute changing it to "Z" The work with Ray, in contrast, was a wonderful shared experience and in the future I just intend to work on my own material or collaborate with a single professional like Ray, rather than a company effort like WC.

EDIT: If your looking for WC novels, try Half.com. If you're looking for Action Stations, look up "Action Stations" not Wing Commander.

Meson: Uh, yeah, I'm aware of that. ;)

Too bad Forstchen wouldn't want to do more WC books. Hell, I'd just be glad to see more Lost Regiment books (which I can definitely see happening with the whole "next generation" thing he started with Down to the Sea).

Well, he said he's working on another Lost Regiment novel. :)

Back