Ace AI

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
Considering the WC Universe actually has some pretty good AI when it comes it it's Kilrathi and Neph ace fighter pilots, why don't they just program, say, seven or eight "aces" and then just use them as the regular old pilots? It would make things interesting and certainly more action-oriented, as I found Aces more about random fighting than just playing the game on Nightmare. (Did that last part make any sense?)

Originally posted by LeHah
(...) (Did that last part make any sense?)
Actually I'm having trouble seeing the sense of the whole thing!! :)

Let me get this straight: you want the "Ace" A.I. that they use for enemy pilots (Kilrathi/Nephilim) to be used for "the regular old pilots" like... your wingmen? It's not very clear... :)

But if you're saying that Nightmare is too "unrealistic" because the enemy is "too good" and always, then I agree... The parameter of "randomness" (giving a given pilot, a more or less different skill level each new game) would make the game more interesting for sure...

[Edited by mpanty on 08-01-2001 at 11:11]

That last part is exactly what I'm saying, MP. I knew what I wrote was all messed up, sorry. :)

what I think he means is that in the first 3 games there were a few aces in each game that had better than average ai, he wants this better than average ai to be used in all fighters.

If it's the randomness you're talking about, LeHah (sorry, didn't really get your meaning yet :(), then I say it should be increased. I mean, come on... are ALL enemy pilots supposed to be aces on nightmare level, sitting ducks on easy level, and average pilots on medium level?

I'd sure like to see a greater difference between the enemy pilots's skill levels... it'd be nice not being able to predict the outcome of a fight by just checking out how many enemies are there, and what craft they are flying.

--Eder

I suppose finding an Ace in your dogfight is supposed to make you scared, much like the Aces in WC1. Or give you an incentive to deviate from the mission. Unfortunately, those Aces, at least Baktosh, seemed to run away most of the time.

It'd be nice to hear about individual Aces, although with the Nephilim, I don't think that's going to be sensible, given how little we know about them.

I'm just saying that the regular AI isn't random enough. The Aces were pretty darn good, esp in WCIV and III and I'd like to see that AI used more regularly.

Randomness is important in dogfighting! :)

Well, that's good for you, but I like insanely high kill scores. :) Still, I think the Nephilim give you too many in that department, even granting the insectile swarm tactics.

I never said I didn't work for them. :) But I'm starting a run through all the WCs I have, attempting to kill as many as possible, by any means available. If that includes cheating, I don't care. :) I'll play for the sake of the story. In fact, I think I've already got the max kills/medals route worked out for Vega: Enyo -> Gateway -> Chengdu -> Brimstone -> Dakota -> Kurasawa -> Rostov -> Venice. I think. This is just from memory.

I'm just saying that the regular AI isn't random enough. The Aces were pretty darn good, esp in WCIV and III and I'd like to see that AI used more regularly.

Randomness is important in dogfighting! :)

Are you implying that Seether was *good*? He sucked. Flash was harder in WC3, and that's not saying alot.

I have to admit, Flash was much harder than Seether, but that was only 'cause he kept afterburning around. Hmm, come to think of it, so does Maniac (in the virtual dogfight) and Vagabond (if you refuse to defect).

Originally posted by Wedge009
I suppose finding an Ace in your dogfight is supposed to make you scared, much like the Aces in WC1. (...)
See, that's another thing I found weird in WC...

Does every ace bear a "tag" that identifies it as "ace"? It was already weird in WC1 and 2, where you see on your targeting computer "Dhakhath", "Bhurak", "Rakti" etc. even before they actually "introduced" themselves...
What if for some reason, an "ace" wanted to keep its identity concealed (highly unlikely though, I agree, considering the Kilrathi are a proud race)?

Subsequently in WC4 (or even in WC3?), there was this stupid tag "Banshee Ace", "Dragon Ace"... what the hell? How does the targeting computer know it's an ace??
In-game purposes of this are obvious: "beware particularly of this guy, he's better than the rest"...
In-story realism though takes a beating... :(

Well the IFF broadcasted by the ship could have the "ace" tag added to it so that the opponents know thier going against an ace. Sort of like how the Red Barron and later his wing (or as if squadron?) painted their planes red so as to differenciate them selves from other piolts and to scare there opponents or at least shock them.

For Kilrathi aces it's fairly easy to explain, seeing how proud they are. I can very well imagine that they broadcast an IFF signal that shows explicitly who they are (like mpanty said). Isn't also described oin the WC3 novel how the Kilrathi announce themselves during a dogfight?

But for WCP and WCIV it is indeed a bit odd. I mean does a pirate really earn an acknowledged 'ace-ranking'?

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 08-02-2001 at 07:24]

A Pirate Ace is a contradiction. :D

Pirate Ace = Normal Confed Pilot

A Pirate Ace is a contradiction. :D

Pirate Ace = Normal Confed Pilot

I wouldn't say that. A pirate ace is someone who has been around and survived a large number of battles - probably against militia and even confed pilots. He may not be academy trained, but he's got 'on-the-job' experience, which in my opinion counts for more. Then again, he could even be an ex-confed pilot. After the war, there are probably a lot of pilots around looking for work.

Whatever. You know just from the fact that he's survived in a hostile environment that he's one badass pilot. I would be very cautious about engaging a Pirate Ace.

I would think that pirates get their reputations because they earn them. The most badass guy is usually the one leading the gang.

Also, I would imagine (especially with the Kilrathi) that they would add a special tag to their ID signals. People who think they have skills definitely like to let it be known.

Frankly I'd rather the enemy think they're against a rookie and think they've got it easy. :)

Back