Accel. absorbers and repair system

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
This subject rised in another thread and it is a major doubt for me, so I think it´s worth a new thread:

Does anybody know what is the practical purpose of the "Acceleration Absorbers" and the "Repair System" in the early WC games? I think the "repair system" in WC2 repaired my shields partially only a couple of times. As for the absorbers, I´ve never noticed any difference when they are destroyed (which happens a lot)

Well the early Wc games(and games now of days) can't really show the effect if your Acceleration Absorbers went out. If your absorbers went out you would be feeling kinda pushed back in to your seat and the forces of interia would have complete control over you, frankly you would outta control in the cockpit.

The repair system repairs damaged components so they can take more damage and/ or work correctly (the engines are the most noticable area - take engine damage and your top speed will begin to drop). Some of the areas weren't that big of a deal until you played Privateer, and had to pay to have everything repaired unless you had a repair system that could do it for free.

Originally posted by junior
The repair system repairs damaged components so they can take more damage and/ or work correctly (the engines are the most noticable area - take engine damage and your top speed will begin to drop). Some of the areas weren't that big of a deal until you played Privateer, and had to pay to have everything repaired unless you had a repair system that could do it for free.

Right, but my point is: there IS a repair system in WC2 ships, for instance, that I think I noticed it working one or two times, and had effect on the shield generator damages only.

Originally posted by Starkey

Right, but my point is: there IS a repair system in WC2 ships, for instance, that I think I noticed it working one or two times, and had effect on the shield generator damages only.

And MY point is that it does more than that. ANY time a system is damaged (not destroyed, just damaged) the repair system will kick in. Perhaps you didn't give it enough time to operate (time spent in autopilot didn't seem to be factored into component repair and shield regeneration, for example), but I saw it repair back to full capability MANY times.
Part of the problem, I expect, is that most of the components on board your ship don't really have a noticable effect if they are damaged (except that its now easier to destroy them). The only two where the damage is really noticable are the shield generator and the engines. Thus, it would be fairly easy to miss repair work that was being done to other components.

I would agree, the repair drones in Privateer were one of my best friends! Those things could patch things up quite a bit! That'd save you hella money!

Let me put this in a way you will understand Starkey

Starfighers move!!!! if your damping systems went out and you turn, your going to all the sudden jolt to the right or left!! the law of INTERIA PROVES THIS!!!

Originally posted by Valor NR
Let me put this in a way you will understand Starkey
Starfighers move!!!! if your damping systems went out and you turn, your going to all the sudden jolt to the right or left!! the law of INTERIA PROVES THIS!!!

When did I disagree with that??? :confused:

High schools in Brazil ain´t THAT bad. I know all about Mr. Isaac Newton, I just made a joke.

Why doesn´t anyone in this forum gets my jokes? It´s like the 1000th time someone gets angry because of a simple joke I make.

Let me put it in a way you can understand my joke :D

If the acc. absorbers fail, the fighter (in "real" life, not WC2) would become uncontrollable, and the pilot would suffer the effects, INSIDE THE COCKPIT. I´m sure you know what a Shelton Slide is, it´s based on INERTIA. Concluding, the fighter would move to one side and the pilot to the other, making the pilot autoslide, inside the cockpit.

The joke ain´t fun anymore... :rolleyes:

Really?

Sorry dude i thought that was sarcastic

(Lets Starkey beat the living **** out of valor)

Please accept my most deepest apology

Nah, don´t worry, I knew you didn´t understand the joke. I think people in this forum, in general, are sarcastic. That happens so many times (sarcasm) you are just "vaccinated" to that: you had a prompt response to my supposed sarcasm.

Some people even issue a SARCASM ALERT sometimes :D

Anyway, is there a practical use for the acc. absorbers in WC?

And, sorry about those who don´t agree, but I´ll insist: the Repair System in WC1 and WC2 (NOT PRIVATEER) does NOT work.

Privateer has a Repair Droid, I am talking about that Repair SYSTEM that sometimes gets damaged in WC1 and 2.

Originally posted by Starkey
And, sorry about those who don´t agree, but I´ll insist: the Repair System in WC1 and WC2 (NOT PRIVATEER) does NOT work.

Privateer has a Repair Droid, I am talking about that Repair SYSTEM that sometimes gets damaged in WC1 and 2.

Must have been either a whole lotta bad luck on your part, a really bad memory on my part, or some screwy computer system incompatibility on your end. Reason why I say that is because I'm pretty sure I remember taking engine damage, getting my top speed reduced, and then having it go back up again as the system got repaired. And that was in WC1/WC2.
Seems like the repair system worked for me.

Ok, so it´s either that or that, case closed. I´ll get my Rapier rammed and see what happens. When I am sure, I´ll come back here and reopen the case, ok?

Seems like there´s no argument about the acc. absorbers. Their only purpose is to warn you that your ship is breaking apart and you´ll die soon if you don´t do something. :D

Originally posted by junior
Reason why I say that is because I'm pretty sure I remember taking engine damage, getting my top speed reduced, and then having it go back up again as the system got repaired. And that was in WC1/WC2.
The Ralatha mission in K'Tithrak Mang, with Jazz... he ejected (as always), and I managed to take heavy engine damage before finally killing the Ralatha. On my way home, I was able to cruise at a cool 80 kps :). This also happens to be that mission where, just when you think you're all done, you encounter a wing of Grikath attacking the Concordia. Fortunately, by then my speed was up to 150 kps (proving the functionality of the repair system). Then again, it was the Concordia that took out the Grikath anyway ;).

Acc. absorbers absorb G forces. For example, you are being chased by a kilrathi fighter. In order to evade him you push the stick forward and make the sharpest nose dive possible. Acc. absorbers absorb much of the G forces excerted on your poor body, otherwise you'd have passed out from all the blood rushing to your head. The acc. absorbers can't handle all the G forces either. Make a tight enough turn with high G forces and the acc. absorbers can't compensate enough thus you will feel some of the effects of the turn.

Anyone remember how in WC1 and WC2 your fuel tanks could get damaged. Did this cause a sped up consumption of your fuel? I never noticed the difference.

I can't say I ever noticed either, although I will agree-having that repair system did work, I think. The only problem, is that it was very slow, and didn't usually accomplish a lot. But a little is better than none, I'd suppose.

As I said, I noticed the repair system work a couple of times, but it was nothing compared to repairing systems in WC3 and later games.

Back