Academy issues with XP

Viper61

Spaceman
I have a slew of problems with XP so I'm gonna place each one in a different post to avoid confusion. I have a P4 running WinXP, with a Geforce 3 graphics card and a SBLive! sound card.

I finally got academy to work after messing with the EMS settings, but now I have no sound or joystick support. I have disabled acceleartion and have a gravis blackhawk digital. Any ideas?

Um, I though Academy wouldn't work under Windows under any circumstances? Or maybe that was Armada... Whatever. Digital joysticks and old DOS games are like milk and lemon juice. And the sound... Ouch, this makes my head hurt... Since it's a DOS-game, I doubt the hardware acceleration would make any difference. I'm no expert in that area, though. Is your SB emulation set up properly? Is it loaded when you play? Has Academy configured itself with the proper settings?

Originally posted by Mystery muppet
Um, I though Academy wouldn't work under Windows under any circumstances? Or maybe that was Armada... Whatever. Digital joysticks and old DOS games are like milk and lemon juice. And the sound... Ouch, this makes my head hurt... Since it's a DOS-game, I doubt the hardware acceleration would make any difference. I'm no expert in that area, though. Is your SB emulation set up properly? Is it loaded when you play? Has Academy configured itself with the proper settings?

I've ran the gambit of settings trying to find one that works, none do. Oh well, looks like I'm going to invest in a hundred dollar computer that runs at about 200 MHz with a cd Drive and win98 or 95 to solve all my problems :)

C-ya

Academy works just fine inside Windows 9x and digital joysticks should work in that situation... however, XP isn't a DOS based system and will not, as far as I know, run Academy, a DOS game.

XP will run Academy. You just have to tell it to allow EMS or something. I wrote more about that in another thread. However, you'll probably have trouble getting the sound to work, especially if your sound port is built right on to your motherboard.

What you need is something like VDMSound which is designed to provide legacy sound, video, and joystick support for DOS games in an NT (2k, XP) environment.

http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/

I haven't tested it with any of the DOS WC's, but see no reason why it wouldn't work, provided you can get the base game running.

Killer

Back