Academy and Armada Tweaking.

Johnl12

Repairman
I wasn't getting any response on the Tech Support side.

I've install ACADEMY and ARMADA on a DOS 6.2 machine and they are working fine. I've never play these games. I am using the default memory settings.

ACADEMY - emm386.exe 3072 RAM i=b000-b7ff
ARMADA - emm386.exe 6144 RAM i=b000-b7ff

P1 can use up to 16 MB. I was wondering if these games can support more memory too? Thanks

PS. Does anyone know where I can download QEMM?

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-28-2001 at 01:57]

I don't think you can download QEMM anywhere (at least not legally) because it's a commercial piece of software. So you'd have to buy it.

Wow, I havent heard of that in the longest time. I'd say go through your old software piles and see if it isn't attached to an old CD or something. I can't seem to remember what that particular program was for (Hmmmm...DOS management mayhaps? ;) ) but have you tried obvious things like Download.com and all that garbage?

QEMM is an old DOS Memory Management program. It does almost the same as Memmaker, but is a distinctive program.

MS Memmaker eventually drove it out of the market.

And a question from me: Does any of you people have a working copy of CP/M? (DOS' precedessor)

TIA,

Zim

The same job as Memmaker and EMM386 put together, actually. QEMM is/was a really good memory management utility - it practically always managed to get you above 600KB of conventional memory.

No, Memmaker was inferior - trust me, I used to spend hours trying to squeeze every last kilobyte of memory out of the computer :). Of course, both became virtually obsolete when Win95 came along.

Use advanced setup, and squeeze everything into the upper memory blocks by using DEVICEHIGH= in your config. Load DOS in your high memory, check your memory map and give EMM386.exe your free memory blocks, etc etc.

I stopped using QEMM some time ago, although is had some interesting fuctions. I threw away my 286 which I bought a long time ago. *sniff*

Zim

Originally posted by Zim

And a question from me: Does any of you people have a working copy of CP/M? (DOS' precedessor)
Wow... we are really going back in time here... :)

yeah I know, but I love CP/M. I got it emulated on my P400... goes FAAAST!! :D

But I crave for a original copy...

'Hacking, copying, working CP/M... bah! A modern system administrator doesn't crave these things!" -- IT-Yoda

:p

Zim

Not GEM I've still got a copy. IIRC its windows and yet it isn't windows and can even work on the old BBC Master with the right software.

BBC Master... isn't that a type from the 6502 processor series?

Hey, did anybody know that in Nintendo's GB, the CPU is the same as from the Z80 series the ZX Sinclair for example was equipped with.

:D

Zim, collector of digital relics for the past 5 years!

Yeah, I think it's 6502, but I'm not certain. I had one that came with a math co-processor (in a separate case), and a built-in 80186 :). Unfortunately, I never actually managed to use the 186, because I didn't have the right software. And then I moved to a different country, so I dumped the BBC (a pity, but then I hardly ever touched it anyway).

Originally posted by Johnl12
I wasn't getting any response on the Tech Support side.
I've posted there.

Originally posted by Quarto
No, Memmaker was inferior - trust me.
I never had QEMM, but memmaker was shocking. Even with advanced setup. I'm better fiddling with them manually. Had to learn how with WC2, my first WC. :)

True that.
Memmaker never worked well enough for me to get the results I needed. It took hours of learning how to and editing my sytem files in order to get stupid DOS games to work.

While we're talking about relics, I've still got an ancient Acorn Electron (similar to the BBC), which uses a tape drive!

Back