About the TCS Vesuvius from WC4..

BES

Spaceman
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can provide me with the exact locations of all weapons on the TCS Vesuvius,Its for a model I want to make, but want it as close as possible to the one in WC4, and also what weapons are 'beams' and what ones are 'pulse' and also where the torpedo tubes are located.

I already know all the weapon types,hull and shield strength etc that is on the ship..just dont know the locations and what ones are considered 'beams' and what are considered 'pulse'.

some sort of visual diagram with arrows would be great but whatever info would be appreciated.

The game only modeled the laser turrets, so there really isn't any definitive locations for the non-laser weapons. The book mentions several general locations, I think, but I can't find my copy right now and my memory tends to suck.

they are seemingly everywhere on the ship...she mounts quite an impressive array of weapons...she has enough to take on anything that managed to get close enough...although with 400 fighters on board seems highly improbable...

vesuvius3.jpg

vesuvius4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those heavy turrets seen firing in the cutscenes (two fore and two aft) appear to be Dual Antimatter Turrets (like those in WC3), while the other visible turrets are probably Dual Laser Turrets for shooting at fighters and incoming torpedoes.

Ok another question, sorry...im told the torpedo launchers are located in the front at the tips?...if not could someone tell me where they are? because the bottom part of the ship has 3 spots that look like torp launchers, but if its only sposed to have 2 what would those spots be?:)

Looking at the green schematics Reid posted, it did not looked like that the ship had much weapons, but then it could be only one type of weaponary on board

Dahan said:
Looking at the green schematics Reid posted, it did not looked like that the ship had much weapons, but then it could be only one type of weaponary on board
Or there could be multiple types it just doesn't show them all.:)

Well by looking at the model I made the ship appears to have a weapon strip all the way around the hull..then the heavier weapons are sposed to go in the squares soo im thinking:

forward/aft antimatter weapons
forward torpedo tubes( the two arm looking things in the front of ship)
Heavy mass driver weapons on the colored squares(except the ones that are supposed to be antimatter weapons)
the strip all around the hull would be the 24 lasers

supposid weapons of the ship:
Dual-Mount Anti-Matter Gun (14), Heavy Mass-Driver Turret (16), Dual-Mount Laser Turret (24), Torpedo Tube (2)

unless someone can tell me different...just not sure about where the torp launchers are sposed to be:D , I saw on another site that they are at the tips/arm things/fork or whatever you want to call them..

i think the "fork" would be too easy to damage, also isn't the image that chris posted from te st. Helens, where Eisen says that the St Helen's isn't really combat ready because her armarments are incomplete?

BES said:
supposid weapons of the ship:
Dual-Mount Anti-Matter Gun (14), Heavy Mass-Driver Turret (16), Dual-Mount Laser Turret (24), Torpedo Tube (2)

unless someone can tell me different...just not sure about where the torp launchers are sposed to be:D , I saw on another site that they are at the tips/arm things/fork or whatever you want to call them..

Are you pulling those from the novel? Just remember that while the Vesuvius was a heavily armed carrier, carriers should typically not have heavy armaments. Their fighters are their primary means of offense and defense.

Mace said:
i think the "fork" would be too easy to damage, also isn't the image that chris posted from te st. Helens, where Eisen says that the St Helen's isn't really combat ready because her armarments are incomplete?

Nope, they're schematics of the Vesuvius class that Eisen is sending to Sosa so that she can analyze it for weaknesses.

No I got it from this website they supposidly have the specs of most ships,the reason why the Admiral told Blair in the movie that the ship "would put the fear of GOD in the Kilrathi"due to its very UBER setup.

https://www.wcnews.com/ships/wc4supercarrier.shtml

I got the acctual model from here...just used 3ds MAX to render it to see where the hardpoints are....

https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml

I really thought these forums were related to those websites in the links..

Last edited by a moderator:
BES said:
No I got it from this website they supposidly have the specs of most ships,the reason why the Admiral told Blair in the movie that the ship "would put the fear of GOD in the Kilrathi"due to its very UBER setup.

You probably shouldn't use people's hyperbolic statements in conjunction with any technical specifications. Far more impressive than its own weapons outfit, the Vesuvius puts the "fear of god into the Kilrathi" due to its 400-fighter complement.

BES said:
I really thought these forums were related to those websites in the links..

What's that supposed to mean? Yeah, of course they are, but that particular section is somewhat out of date. It's not an area of the site we've had a chance to go over in a number of years.

The speculation in the past has been that the large 'tip mounted' weapons were torpedoes -- though I don't believe anything actually mentions the Vesuvius *having* torpedoes... this was more of a way to quiet down Spacebattles jerks who insisted that they were secretly Phase Transit Cannons.

As for the Vesuvius' weapons... in the cut scene Chris posted a diagram from, those are all identified (I believe) as laser cannons -- then you have similarly placed Anti-Matter Guns in the game itself (the yellow turrets). The novel mentions all of those, but also claims that it has "scores" (a score is 20) of lower calibur "barbettes" (sp)... and it mentions mass drivers at one point.

I'll have to look into it in more detail when I get home, but I *think* that's all we really know about the Vesuvius... but it would probably benefit from a close analysis of the battle video itself.

The novel mentions all of those, but also claims that it has "scores" (a score is 20) of lower calibur "barbettes" (sp)... and it mentions mass drivers at one point.

Would those "barbettes" be some kind of point defense system?

Okay, I have watched the cutscenes relating to the Vesuvius and reviewed my notes on the novel.

The turrets Chris' screenshot shows are the 14 Dual Mount Anti-Matter Guns seen in-game and mentioned in the novel ("... the dozen or so massive double turrets that housed its main armament").

The Vesuvius also has "scores of small caliber barbettes dotting its hull", which are laser and mass driver cannons. Both are mentioned in the novel, and the laser cannons show up in the game (the cutscene where you decide how to deal with Ella opens with a wireframe of the Vesuvius with a label about laser turrets). All we know of these point defense weapons is that there's presumably 40 or more of them and that they dot the hull.

I found the torpedo reference as well - Wilford asks Eisen about his combat status and Eisen replies t ha the doesn't have any torpedoes. The bays (plural) haven't been installed yet. The assumption is then that the ship has at least two torpedo bays(/tubes).

Back