A Wing Commander 4 mission question.

Proteus

Spaceman
Ok I played and finished Wing Commander 4 a long time ago. But now this 1 mission on the first cd (I think) keeps bugging me. It's when you can select to defect or stay with confed (2nd time you are given a choise by the already defected captain) So you go out into the nebula and start fighting borderworld pilots (the borderworld ship is hidden in nebula) including maniac..(I decided to stick with confed heh hee) but the thing is no matter how many fighters I shoot down or intercept cap ship missles it wont let me continue on the confed side..any thoughts on this or anyone tried to do this part differently? Is there a secret movie portion here?

You must choose to defect when offered the second time. If you don't, there's no way to win the mission and the game is over.

Or you can mail EA and buy or try to get the 7th WC4 disk, the tale say that you can play with the Confederation the entire game and you can see different FMV, but we warned, you must do a lot of *dirty* missions flying with confed (like kill some transport, attack some BW colonies, but the good side is that you can fly the Lance fighter almost for all the tour of duty, and some other surprises that i won´t spoil)

Ahhh yes

I remember that Misison from the WC4 DVD (Got it with my CREATIVE DVD Rom)

I extracted the .vob Video files and ran them through the Creative DVD player! :)

There was Extra FMV that was set after that mission.....however even though I opted to Defect the second time....Cloaked Torp Bombers came in and destroyed the Lexington in a Cut Scene!!

Most narked I carried on as a BW Pilot but would have prefered Confed :)

Cpt Lurker

Not knowing Ghost's credentials or trustworthiness from not really knowing him, I must assume he's puling our legs!:)

interesting..

A 7th disk..hmm that's interesting.
I might be able to view that extra scene using the Wing Commander video ripper..it's on this site..

Re: interesting..

Heh. Don't listen to these guys. The "7th Disk" is one of the longest running gags around here. It doesn't exist, and has never existed.

Best, Raptor

how do you know it WASN'T made, the guys at origin may have done it for themselves at their spare time...

Originally posted by dacis2
how do you know it WASN'T made, the guys at origin may have done it for themselves at their spare time...

I love how no one in the entire world appreciates that it costs millions and millions of dollars to develop software.

nothing related to the 7th disk....

but i want to ask something...
can the wing commander 4 DVD run under window XP Pro?
i'm thinking of getting it from ebay.com

thanks,
Xach
"PayBack" yrs ago....

I'm not sure if the actual game will run under XP (heck, I haven't played WCIVDVD as a *game* for a long, long time)... but you can certainly view all the high-quality movies, which alone is worth the price of the disc, IMO.

I love how no one in the entire world appreciates that it costs millions and millions of dollars to develop software.

Well, I'm not sure about some things, like expansion packs or mostly-reused code software (RF and Academy), but FMV Movies like WC 3 and IV does take quite a sum. Didn't WCIV run up a bill of some 12 million? Anyway, Not all software takes 'millions and millions'. Take a look at X-COM 2: Terror from the Deep compared to UFO:Enemy unknown/X-COM ufo defense. That's cheap resued code and new gfx that must have taken almost no resources to shell out.

In the past it was far cheaper to develop software -- you didn't need anywhere near as many people, you didn't need so much art, you didn't need such a wide distribution and so forth and so on. Now it takes many, many people -- even modern day expansion packs will cost more than a million dollars... (which is why you see so few -- they're a bad investment).

Hehheh...when Id made games all the way up to "Doom", the whole company was just 3 people at that time!

I've seen people advocating the return of low-cost, low-tech - i.e., creating an adventure game (say, Monkey Island 5) using the ORIGINAL Monkey Island SCUMM engine (developed some ways back in '90?) and stuffing the entire game onto a DVD holding - I dunno, something like 4GB? This would create a sequel roughly 400 times longer than any other adventure game. Or something like that. Considering how well adventure games sell, if they do make an MI5 it might end up using this idea - whatever it is, since I'm not entirely sure what I'm saying...

...which would be bought by all of the roughly fifty Monkey Island fans dedicated enough to finish it, despite the plot holes and filler necessary to create something that long, and by the million or so MI-4 fans that dont notice the "using the Monkey Island 1 engine" and "400 times longer!"

Im not against monkey island, im just not for bringing back the majority of old game engines to place new content on.

Back