A WC rumor

I'd like to see a game dealing with the BEGINNING of the war--perhaps you and your squadron are survivors of the ambush at MacAullife?

As much as I like Wing Commander, I wouldn't be bothered if they made an entirely new franchise with the same quality and development goals of Wing Commander. At least then they wouldn't be assaulted by the Internet goons making stupid complaints about how it's not Wing Commander because it doesn't say Chris Roberts on the box, contain 1+ hour footage of Mark Hamill, use gray shoebox spaceships, or some other thing plucked for the sake of being regressive.

I'd like to see a game dealing with the BEGINNING of the war--perhaps you and your squadron are survivors of the ambush at MacAullife?

There was a project of this nature discussed at one point (a few years ago) -- but I think it wouldn't have ultimately pleased longtime fans... it wouldn't have stayed especially true to the established history (the proposal included notes to this extent - the history says that this weapon didn't exist, but it's fun so we should use it, etc., etc.)

In every other proposal I've seen, Electronic Arts has always been adamant about requiring that a new game *advance* a history rather than retread... I think they feel that the general public wants a new adventure that tells them what 'happens next' rather than a prequel or some clever mid-story addition.

This may be why we're stuck with lame-o crazy sci fi C&Cs instead of cool Red Alert games...

In every other proposal I've seen, Electronic Arts has always been adamant about requiring that a new game *advance* a history rather than retread... I think they feel that the general public wants a new adventure that tells them what 'happens next' rather than a prequel or some clever mid-story addition.

It's a good thing, then, that the Standoff team doesn't work for EA! :)

I know many here probably disagree with me, but what I would really like to see is not a new Wing Commander game, but a new game that, like Wing Commander, ignites a new genre, shows that games can do things that we only dreamed of, and is something that an entire community of fans can get behind.

I think Star Wars, Star Trek, and various other franchises have shown that after a certain point, further attempts to commercialize a series end up diminishing it...

The upcoming 'Kane's Wrath' C&C game is partly a prequel.

I think Star Wars, Star Trek, and various other franchises have shown that after a certain point, further attempts to commercialize a series end up diminishing it...

Thats a rather unfair statement. After Star Trek IV relaunched Star Trek into the mass media by not only being a blockbuster but helping spark interest in a new Star Trek show, Star Trek V bombed in a spectacular way. You could not ask for worse timing or worse returns or worse reviews or worse timing than what The Final Frontier got.

And then it was followed up by what many view to be the best or second best Star Trek movie in the series.

(Alternately, theres an arguement to be made about Star Wars prequels. The Phantom Menace is a movie that will age well and be more respected with time, as opposed to the awful mess that Attack Of The Clones turned into because of Lucas's attempt to make his fans happy at the expense of an understandable narrative)

Having enjoyed WC1 and WC2 more than the sequels - I'd prefer it if EA or whoever went ahead without FMV, to keep costs down. I'm sure loads would still go for it, and I would too. Keep the focus where its needed.

That's why the fan-projects are so great!

(Alternately, theres an arguement to be made about Star Wars prequels. The Phantom Menace is a movie that will age well and be more respected with time, as opposed to the awful mess that Attack Of The Clones turned into because of Lucas's attempt to make his fans happy at the expense of an understandable narrative)

I could not agree with you more, LeHah...

I had numerous arguments with friends about which movie was better (AOC vs. TPM) and could never agree with them that AOC was "so much better."

I agree, it might work, but how would the controls operate?

If they could make WCI work on SNES with fewer controls (they were still able to offer full throttle control, maps, missiles, eject, AB, comms, damage management, etc.), they would have no problem getting the XBOX 360 controller to offer the functions!

If they could make WCI work on SNES with fewer controls (they were still able to offer full throttle control, maps, missiles, eject, AB, comms, damage management, etc.), they would have no problem getting the XBOX 360 controller to offer the functions!

They would have to do one of two things:

- Rebuild the game from the ground up to support the new control scheme; it's unlikely that EA has Wing Commander I's source code or other resources archived somewhere... and even if they did, it would take extensive work just to rework the game to run on a modern console. Making a game that looks/feels like Wing Commander I for the PC with Xbox 360 controls would cost a lot more money than it feels like such a project should.

- Emulate an existing console port; this is what EA did with EA Replay, emulating an SNES environment on the PSP which allowed them to use existing images of SNES Wing Commander and The Secret Missions... the big problem being that the console ports aren't anywhere near as nice as the PC version -- which is in and of itself not all that nice compared to what Live Arcade users expect to day in terms of graphics (even my cheapo copy of Ecco got its graphics smoothed...)

What I think they should do is amp the music in WC4DVD. I still play the old one; can't hear the score on dvd.

What I think they should do is amp the music in WC4DVD. I still play the old one; can't hear the score on dvd.

Do you mean in the movies? The DVD has wierd sound balance issues between the movies and spaceflight in general. Usually what happens is that the movies are somewhat quiet and then you hit fly mission and your ear drums are blown out. I never really noticed an issue with the sound being too quiet (unless you have your sound card set to 5.1 but only have two speakers or headphones because it will *only* be playing the left and right channel). Within the movies themselves the music volume is just fine.

Back