A Thought

Milatry

Petty Officer
I've been visitting this site since i first got internet and seen so many creators making so many wing commander things. I tryed as hard as I could to convert a ship for Secret Ops and could do it, it drove me mad. So my idea of a game/mod died but I was wondering if I could pass it by you all and see if one of you could do it? All I care is that my idea is at least know to some that can do what I could not.

Well I was thinking of something simple like a simulator mission but difficult in a way. The missions would be simple like the simulator missions but you start the game by picking you fighter and then then you select the mission. You'll be able to fly any ship from all the Wing Commander games from a Hornt all the way to a Vampier and simple ten mission game and a guntlet mission but I was thinking of a guntlent mission that will only end when you die or at least have a largest amount of enemys ever seen before. All in all just a game to help people keep there skills up in between games and the title would be something like Battle Simulator.

I wasn't saying for Secret Ops to be the core of it I was just using it's simulator as an idea. The idea of it is that the game be alot like that in the sence were you can fly with any ship for any mission

All I had in mind is a game that's a trip in time. Being able to fly in the ship that started it all to the ship that's speed and power is a highly adictive. Also in prove ones skills by being able to kill A bug with a Hornet. The idea is one really big traning game with all the ships of Wing Commander that you can fly in all the games.

Well i think it would be nice, but only as a multiplayer game, where you can fly ANY ship (Confetd, BW, Black Lance, pirate, cat, and yes, bug ships too), with just an addition of some extra sp gauntlet style misson

The idea of multiplayer is great for thous how can do it but the idea behind this game would be to have a multiplayer fell but not. Alot like Academy was were it had some set mission a mission editor and a gauntlet but insted of it have some selected ships you'ld get to fly with all the ships, and the idea of ANY ship ( Confed,BW, Black Lance. Pirat, Kilrathi, and the Niphilem. Would be better as a playback for the game.

Milatry said:
Would be better as a playback for the game.

I think one of the major problems with games today is the overemphasis of multiplayer. Games were much, much better 10 years ago when the industry focused on single player scenarios and only added multiplayer as a novelty item. While games like Battlefield and Star Wars: Battlefront are fun at first, they definitely lack in terms of replay when compared to Wing Commander or TIE Fighter.

unfortunately, the gaming market disagrees
people bitch a lot if a game is not strong in MP.
sadly.

Edfilho said:
unfortunately, the gaming market disagrees. people bitch a lot if a game is not strong in MP.

Hey, theres nothing wrong with having multiplayer in a game. The overemphasis - even the sole emphasis - is the problem. While I enjoy those games on LAN - a lot of them seem to be half-baked ideas.

(I should also say that by and large - I disagree with the "current gaming market". Call me a crumudgeon but games these days seriously lack something.)

that's true there are alot of games these days that are missing something but that's why I was think of this game. Its a way to work on your flying skills and work at getting out other ships for other races/factions.But like I said I'm not able to make it so I wanted to see if anyone eles could make it.

LeHah said:
Hey, theres nothing wrong with having multiplayer in a game. The overemphasis - even the sole emphasis - is the problem. While I enjoy those games on LAN - a lot of them seem to be half-baked ideas.

(I should also say that by and large - I disagree with the "current gaming market". Call me a crumudgeon but games these days seriously lack something.)
Yeah, I got what you meant... but the biggest FPS games are the MP-focused ones (CS, BF, whatever) and most of the RTS game's life lie on the MP aspect... take Starcraft, for instance.

I definitely do not think that ALL games today are lacking... HL2 and the HL2 ep1 are shining gems of great gaming, IMO, and there are games like Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Far Cry, FEAR, Oblivion, the upcoming Spore...
not to mention the world of consoles, the DS has oodles of fresh and exciting experiences. Oh, even the old PS2 battlehorse has top level awesome stuff like Shadow of the Colossus and Okami.

I do think the PC should get more games, and a bit more variety. But I won't say that gaming is sucking. because it's not.

Edfilho said:
Starcraft, for instance.

Starcraft had pretty damned amazing singleplayer aspects too. I don't think it's longlivedness is purely due to multiplayer. It's just the kind of game you always come back to.

Well, your right about SP beeing important in the games, but for me there are three things that can keep the game alive for a long time

1) storyline and charachters - these are things that pull you in the game universe, an actually Wing Commander is the best example. without an interesting storyline the SP can get boring after quite a short time, even if the gameplay is real neat

2) editing posibilties - i'm pretty sure that makes a lot of people play the game much longer, if thay can make they're own missions and scenarios, or get stuff from other people from the net, as it keeps game alive after they have finished it

3) the posibility of comparing themselves with a reall oponent. Dont tell me that evryone will be replaying the gauntlets in standoff for so long if it wasn't for scoreboards :) and MP a logical consequence - i mean killing more AI then somebody is fun, but actually shooting the guy down is more fun :D

I like the genaral idea, of the game where you can fly any ship, but for me it'll need either good MP or be easy modable and what would be best contain built in mission editor for the guys that are not that good with source codes

Milatry said:
Well I was thinking of something simple like a simulator mission but difficult in a way. The missions would be simple like the simulator missions but you start the game by picking you fighter and then then you select the mission. You'll be able to fly any ship from all the Wing Commander games from a Hornt all the way to a Vampier and simple ten mission game and a guntlet mission but I was thinking of a guntlent mission that will only end when you die or at least have a largest amount of enemys ever seen before. All in all just a game to help people keep there skills up in between games and the title would be something like Battle Simulator.
Should be pretty much possible as a mod for Freespace2 - though the flight physics is a bit different there... And the current FS-WC-mod (Wing Commander Saga - they have forums here, too) focuses more on telling a story. Oh - and the FS mission editor isn't bad, too. I'm currently more or less out of modding - hope to come back one day, though.

and on your return the wing commander comunity will greatly benifit form it. the freespace 2 isn't a bad idea because the game is great in a lot of way's but like I said before I tried as hard as I could to try and convert something in secret ops and failed badly. this is all just a way of passing on my idea to someone how can do something with it if they want to. and all i can do is hope someone likes my idea and can give it life.

Back