A story

Nephilim

Spaceman
Hi,

Some of you may remember me. A long time ago, I posted a lot here.

Anyway, I was writing a story back then. I never got very far, and reading it now, I'm not exactly sure where the hell I was going with it. I'm not a terrific writer...some of the parts seem downright bad.

http://www.redshift.com/~harlidobib/Story/wc.html

Any comments or suggestions?

It isn't bad. Surely, as it is unfinished and nothing really happened (apart from the Midway, of course) but I did not find any "downright bad" parts. ;) Putting back the Kilrathi, he? but destroying the Midway, I don't know. It seems no ship survives any longer exposure to the player :)

but destroying the Midway, I don't know. It seems no ship survives any longer exposure to the player

Midway always died pretty fast when I was playing. :p

Anyway, I was going for a "WWII in the Pacific" feeling for the battles in my story (after all, that's where Midway-class ship names come from). The US blew the Japanese navy out of the water, but lost multiple carriers in the process.

I don't like Maestro's antics in the beginning of the story. They seem so unprofessional and would probably result in some kind of disciplinary action.

Casey thinking about Blair after the Tiamat is destroyed is way overdone and sappy.

Ditto for Captain Methoras on the Mistral Sea.

Hopefully I'll have time to revise and expand the story.

Fine story, but letting the Midway die? Not my line.

BTW: As I read that, I asked myself in general: what about rescue capsels (don't know the right word for it) for ship-crews? In SW Universe they exist, in Genellan-Chronics also, what about WC? I mean there was such a thing in a book...sending all people from board and just minimum of the bridge etc.-crew to ram an enemy ship...but I am not definitely sure.

Yes, Wing Commander has ecape pods, and some ships use shuttles to abandon ship as well... we see the escape pods on capital ships in Privateer, when a Paradigm blows up -- or in Wing Commander Academy, when the TCS Trafalgar was destroyed.

Also both games which I don't own....:) But thanks. Just wanted to know. It would be funny then if the Aliens had a battle with the confed pilots because of wanting to collect these pods of the Midway. Would have been fun to fly such a mission...maybe in a future-game.

Originally posted by Manjana
Fine story, but letting the Midway die? Not my line.
Nor mine, but he's just following the tradition of the games. Y'know, Tiger's Claw, Concordia, Lexington, etc. :) Moral of the story - if you've served on a capship with Blair on it, get out as soon as you can!

Seriously, I was thinking about it - what carrier could we expect to serve on in the next WC? We had the Cerberus for SO if only to keep it different from the Midway - every game we serve on a different carrier. Perhaps a Vesuvius-class vessel?

Why not? And his story isn't the official one, so maybe such a jump in game could happen. The Midway still exists and so maybe first Midway, then a new one. If we just go out from Casey as hero...maybe they also change that. We cannot say in which time the new game will take place.

The old joke about Blairs ships being destroyed sort of ended in 1994... the Victory, Lexington, Intrepid and Midway all survived their follow-up games.

Er, Blair disabled the Lexington with a torp salvo in WC4.123106.

This disabling of the Lexington... this happened in the novel, the official history, I take it.

Alright, I simply assumed Blair used leech guns/missiles on the Lexington in the novel.

And Q, you've seemed to have lost your general's star.

I used Leech weapons as little as possible. No real reason, I just didn't like them. The uh...stormfire was it? I dunno, that ammo weapon. The guns in the movie reminded me of that.

The gun in the movie was a rotary barrel Neutron Gun. The Stormfire is the ammo-based gun you're thinking of in WCIV.

Back